PDA

View Full Version : USA Todays take

Daver
01-17-2003, 06:50 PM
On the effects of the Colon trade. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2003-01-16-colon-analysis_x.htm)

hose
01-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
On the effects of the Colon trade. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2003-01-16-colon-analysis_x.htm)

Danny Wright had the best fastball in the organization up to Tuesday.... :smile:

It's not unreasonable to have one of the Sox prospects step up, look at John Lackey or K-Rod , they came out of nowhere and produced in the clutch.

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by hose
Danny Wright had the best fastball in the organization up to Tuesday..

Rocky Biddle had the best fastball in the organization.

hose
01-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Rocky Biddle had the best fastball in the organization.

In the 2002 Sox media guide on page 179 they quote Baseball America saying Danny not only had the best fastball but also the best breaking ball in the Sox system....this was for 2000 year.

If Wright can stay out of the big inning I think he could win 15+ games this year. Lots of talent, hopefully Cooper can get Danny to put it all together.

I wish Rocky all the best,especially against the Cubs :D:

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by hose
In the 2002 Sox media guide on page 179 they quote Baseball America saying Danny not only had the best fastball but also the best breaking ball in the Sox system....this was for 2000 year.

If Wright can stay out of the big inning I think he could win 15+ games this year. Lots of talent, hopefully Cooper can get Danny to put it all together.

I wish Rocky all the best,especially against the Cubs :D:

I don't care what the Sox media guide says,I'll beleive the scouts everytime.

And Danny Wright should do rather well under the tutelage of Coop.

hose
01-17-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't care what the Sox media guide says,I'll beleive the scouts everytime.

When you get your scout information pass it along

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 07:43 PM

I'll agree with that. Coop seems to be much more effective with power pitchers than Nardi was (actually, he seems more effective with ANY pitcher). Danny's numbers in September looked pretty damn good. If he, Garland, and Thomas continue what they started in September...

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I'll agree with that. Coop seems to be much more effective with power pitchers than Nardi was (actually, he seems more effective with ANY pitcher).

Don Cooper was not the director of all minor league pitching for nothing,he knows how to get the best out of the talent that he has to work with,he is also very good at helping young pitchers nail down solid mechanics( BTW Kirk Champion is even better at this than Don).

I'm still pleasantly surprised that Don agreed to stay with the Major League club this time.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 07:51 PM
BTW Kirk Champion is even better at this than Don

Sorry, can you help me out here. Who is Kirk Champion?

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Sorry, can you help me out here. Who is Kirk Champion?

Kirk replaced Don as director of minor league pitching,he used to be the Knights pitching coach.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Kirk replaced Don as director of minor league pitching,he used to be the Knights pitching coach.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'm happier with Champion down in the minors then if he's good at perfecting mechanics of young pitchers.

delben91
01-17-2003, 11:09 PM

If I recall, Kirk was the one who always managed to get Kip Wells and Jon Garland back on track during the 2000 season (or 2001?) whenever they'd get sent down after being shelled multiple times. I also remember an article in BA about all the Sox minor league pitching coaches at each level and how each coach had a different talent. Teaching how to use the lower body, teaching the changeup, situational thought processes, and that Kirk was the mastermind that could always seem to find mechanical flaws. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but all the same, good to have him leading the minor league show.