PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of proposed plan for All Star Game?

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Should MLB use the outcome of the the All-Star game to determine who gets HFA in the World Series?

HawkDJ
01-17-2003, 05:47 PM
I said yes just because it is better than the current system. Switching home field between NL and AL each year is ridiculous and makes no sence. Really it should be by which team has a better record.

rmusacch
01-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I said yes just because it is better than the current system. Switching home field between NL and AL each year is ridiculous and makes no sence. Really it should be by which team has a better record.

I agree with you and that is why I voted no.

idseer
01-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

thanks gogo :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2003, 06:17 PM
I didn't vote at all because the question is poorly worded.

The question ought to be, "Should the league that earns the win in MLB's annual all-star game be rewarded by granting its league champion the home-field advantage of Game 7 in the subsequent World Series?"

I choose not to participate.

:gulp:

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The question ought to be, "Should the league that earns the win in MLB's annual all-star game be rewarded by granting its league champion the home-field advantage of Game 7 in the subsequent World Series?"

I tried to make it a better question, but there's a limit on how many characters you can enter when asking a question in a poll. Feel free to try and change it to better wording if you want, but I think the main point of the question is gotten across.

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:29 PM
I tried to make it a better question, but there's a limit on how many characters you can enter when asking a question in a poll. Feel free to try and change it to better wording if you want, but I think the main point of the question is gotten across.

I fixed it. :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2003, 07:30 PM

I'm just having some fun with you gogo. Your question is probably more balanced than mine. :smile:

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by daver

I fixed it. :redneck

thanks for that :)

I'm just having some fun with you gogo. Your question is probably more balanced than mine. :smile:

heh, ok, cool

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 07:55 PM

Wow! This is a rough crowd. Where is the love? :?:

hsnterprize
01-19-2003, 03:48 PM
I voted, and I voted "no" because Major League Baseball can be so stupid at times...if they really want to make the All-Star Game more meaningful, here's a few ideas. First, start the game earlier so people don't have to stay up until 0-Dark-30 in the morning to watch it from start to finish. Secondly, we don't need all of the special ceremonies before the game. They only make the game last longer. Third, if the managers would concentrate on WINNING the game instead of putting in everyone and causing a "tie situation" like what happened last year, that would improve the game dramatically.

Why is it that MLB can't do what the other pro leagues are doing, and have the team with the best regular-season record have home field advantage throughout their duration of the post-season? That shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

Dadawg_77
01-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Honestly I agree with the system that the MLB has currently. The main flaw with using best record is unlike any other sport the leagues really don't play each other. Thus it is impossible to compare records. In the NFL NBA and NHL, you play 25% to 33% vs the other conf. In MLB it is 11% vs the other league.

soxtalker
01-19-2003, 04:05 PM
I voted that I don't care.

My primary concern is that if the Sox were to make the WS, they have the home field advantage. Having said that, however, I'm not sure that this new rule helps or hurts those chances. It almost seems like it makes the situation a coin flip.

I haven't really decided yet as to whether this is good or bad for baseball. I like the idea of giving the All-Star game some meaning, although the degradation of this over the years probably is a more complex issue. Having made home-field advantage dependent on the outcome of the All Star Game, it would now make sense to change some of the rules (e.g., requiring every team to be represented).

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Why is it that MLB can't do what the other pro leagues are doing, and have the team with the best regular-season record have home field advantage throughout their duration of the post-season? That shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

LOL! You obviously know about tomato, so I'm surprised you don't know more about comparing apples to oranges. :smile:

The answer to your question above can be found, SEVERAL times, in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16619) . Suffice to say, there is NO LOGIC in trying to compare incomparable W-L records.

Enjoy!

:)

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 04:08 PM
LOL! You obviously know about tomato, so I'm surprised you don't know more about comparing apples to oranges. :smile:

The answer to your question above can be found, SEVERAL times, in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16619) . Suffice to say, there is NO LOGIC in trying to compare incomparable W-L records.

Enjoy!

:)

I told you, create a new thread and stick it :cool:

Hell, just create an announcement :)

idseer
01-19-2003, 05:13 PM
by the way ... this was written wrong, imo.
the 4th choice ... why change it at all?, seems to be a no! so it's really 17 no's.

wassagstdu
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
I vote yes, but only if the players pick the all-star team. Then I think it's a great idea.

fuzzy_patters
01-20-2003, 11:05 AM
The All-Star game should not decide who gets home field advantage in the World Series. Why, for example, should a game winning hit by a Marlin decide where the Dodgers play world series games? The Dodgers reps could go a combined 0 for 12 in the game and yet would have somehow "earned" the right to play the world series at home.

Another problem I have with this scenario is that a manager may not WANT to win the All Star game. Imagine that the Angels suck at the break this year, and the Mariners are having a year like they had 2 years ago. Mike Sciocia has a vested interest in making sure his divisional rivals DO NOT have home field advantage in the World Series, which would ruin any integrity the game has left.

Finally, I don't believe that this rule will have much effect on the television ratings of the games, which is the intended point of the rule. Unless your a Yankees fan, that World Series seems like a long shot and a long way off in the middle of July. I don't think the casual fan will show much more interest in the game than they did last year.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-20-2003, 12:34 PM
The All-Star game should not decide who gets home field advantage in the World Series. Why, for example, should a game winning hit by a Marlin decide where the Dodgers play world series games? The Dodgers reps could go a combined 0 for 12 in the game and yet would have somehow "earned" the right to play the world series at home.

That's because nobody at the ASG is representing the Dodgers, the Marlins, or any other team. They represent the National LEAGUE. The LEAGUE receives HFA, same as its been since the World Series was created back in 1903.

Another problem I have with this scenario is that a manager may not WANT to win the All Star game. Imagine that the Angels suck at the break this year, and the Mariners are having a year like they had 2 years ago. Mike Sciocia has a vested interest in making sure his divisional rivals DO NOT have home field advantage in the World Series, which would ruin any integrity the game has left.

Mike Scioscia will have no more clue who will be the 2003 American League champion than Joe Torre did last July that the Angels would eventually be champion in 2002. It's silly to suggest anybody would tank a game to get even with another team that may or may not emerge victorious through two rounds of playoffs three months BEFORE the first pitch of the first series. I mean really...

Finally, I don't believe that this rule will have much effect on the television ratings of the games, which is the intended point of the rule. Unless your a Yankees fan, that World Series seems like a long shot and a long way off in the middle of July. I don't think the casual fan will show much more interest in the game than they did last year.

Perhaps you're right. However, Fox Sports was a huge proponent of the change. If they are wrong, they don't know their business very well. I wouldn't bet against them. :cool: