PDA

View Full Version : If you could add anyone to the Sox...

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 05:22 PM
If you could add anyone to the Sox right now unrealistically or realistically without worrying about you would give up or payroll, or anything else, who would it be?

My list as I can't think of one in specific (in no order):

-Zito
-Vlad
-Pujoles
-Halladay
-ARod

These are all based on age and current amount of ability.

Edit: Forgot ARod

ma-gaga
01-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Barry Freaking Bonds. Screw Carlos Lee.

Daver
01-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Alex Rodriguez.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Alex Rodriguez.

oh damn, I forgot A-Rod, I definately include him on there.

RKMeibalane
01-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Babe Ruth. LOL!

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Babe Ruth. LOL!

Hell yeah,he and Bartolo could have hot dog eating contests in the clubhouse before games!

:)

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 10:12 PM
:iron

How about mini Ditka? Batting 1st and cleanup.

:gulp:

dougs78
01-17-2003, 10:21 PM
A-Rod, A-Rod and A-Rod again. No questions, he is the most significant player in the game, especially from a career standpoint.

Brian26
01-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Our offensive is set.

I'd add Pedro.

Imagine a starting three of Beuhrle, Colon and Pedro Martinez. The improvement at #3 starter from Garland to Pedro would far outshine the improvement from CLee to Bonds or Manos to ARod.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Our offensive is set.

I'd add Pedro.

Imagine a starting three of Beuhrle, Colon and Pedro Martinez. The improvement at #3 starter from Garland to Pedro would far outshine the improvement from CLee to Bonds or Manos to ARod.

I agree with the offense being set (at least more so than the pitching when pitching is 90% of the game), but disagree with Pedro. I think we've already seen the peak of his career, and he's become too injury prone in the past years. If I could add one starting pitcher, it would be Zito. God, if we could trade for him, I would faint.

WhiteSox = Life
01-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Babe Ruth would be my choice for offensive player who could realistically double as a pitcher. But my first choice for any position would be...

From a strictly pitching standpoint as nobody in baseball pitching history was better than "The Big Train" Walter Johnson.

Man, to have seen his mastery...

voodoochile
01-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
:iron

How about mini Ditka? Batting 1st and cleanup.

:gulp:

You must have missed it. He was already signed...

The Story of Mini D (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=11335#post11335)

BTW, my current choice is ARod or Nomah...

Come on Beantown - Rowand, Valentin and Harris for Nomah. Heck, I'll throw in Glover - he can start...

Sorry, I guess I'm still giddy over getting Bartolo for Osuna, Biddle and Jeff freakin' Leifer...

gogosoxgogo
01-18-2003, 12:37 AM
How about Josh Paul for Barry Zito. I think Beane would accept that.

WinningUgly!
01-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Andruw Jones, Pedro or A-Rod.

OfficerKarkovice
01-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Big Unit yet...other than that it has to be A-Rod, Bonds, or Pedro.

harwar
01-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Sandy Koufax,Bob Gibson & Hank Aaron

ode to veeck
01-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Hell yeah,he and Bartolo could have hot dog eating contests in the clubhouse before games!

I don't think you'd be able to get the Babe without opening the new McCuddy's on 35th street, including the unlimited open bar tab in Babe's contract :redneck

doublem23
01-18-2003, 10:15 AM
A.J. Pierzynski

RedPinStripes
01-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Of present players, i would take Nomar.

gogosoxgogo
01-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
A.J. Pierzynski

Are you kidding? He would be your top choice?

BTW, when I started this thread, I meant of current players, so age and potential could be taken into account.

doublem23
01-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Well, first off, he's a catcher... and a damn good one. We desperately need someone who can play there. Secondly, aside from being good behind the plate, he can hit... which is pretty rare. Last year the guy hit .300 and had an OPS of .773... I'd take someone with half a bat that he's got just because he's so good behind the plate.

But, what I love most about the guy is that he's a bitchy, little loud-mouthed, piece of ****, ****headed bastard. 100% sparkplug. The guy who sponsors his page on baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierza.01.shtml) wrote this about him:
Behind the plate, A.J. Pierzynski is a bar fight waiting to happen. He's the dust in your brakes, the jam in your toes and the crust in your eyeballs.

He's just what this damn team needs, someone with a little fire and a lot of fight.

If I had to take anyone, I'd take Pierzynski. If the Sox ever somehow wound up with him, he'd automatically be my fav.

ma-gaga
01-18-2003, 11:53 PM
The guy who sponsors his page on baseball-reference.com wrote this about him

:)

Technically 'Elephant's in Oakland' (http://elephantsinoakland.blogspot.com/) wrote that, I just borrowed it with their permission...

OEO Magglio
01-19-2003, 01:16 AM
To me I'd definetly take Pedro, I think when healthy he is the best pitcher in the game.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-19-2003, 01:26 AM
Put me down for Barry Zito. Best starter there is.

Jjav829
01-19-2003, 01:29 AM
Damn, it would be hard not to say Arod. The man does it all. He would certainly be my #1 offensive choice with Andruw Jones second.

Likewise on the pitching side, it would be hard not to say Schilling. Granted his age is creeping up but just imagine Buehrle, Colon, and Schilling in our rotation. I think Oswalt might be my second option considering age.

What about Royce Clayton? :D: