PDA

View Full Version : Twins ink Hunter to 4 year deal

moochpuppy
01-17-2003, 02:03 PM
KFAN is reporting the Twins have signed Torii Hunter to a 4 year, $32 million deal. A news conference is scheduled for later this afternoon.

That's a bargain if you ask me.

ma-gaga
01-17-2003, 02:36 PM
They got him for Darrin Erstad numbers. I can live with that.

It covers his 3 years of arbitration and the first year of FA. Considering he JUST turned 27, he should live out the contract fairly effectively.

Yay. 500th post! I'm a personality!

:)

34 Inch Stick
01-17-2003, 02:37 PM
I don't know about that. The hitting is very inconsistent. At least you know he will work for his money and defense never leaves you.

rmusacch
01-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

It covers his 3 years of arbitration and the first year of FA. Considering he JUST turned 27, he should live out the contract fairly effectively.

Not yet, you gotta hit 501.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 03:01 PM

Further evidence that Erstad is vastly overpaid. I'm so very glad that Disney nixed the Garland/Erstad trade.

voodoochile
01-17-2003, 03:06 PM

Not until post #501, sorry - you're still just a regular...

duke of dorwood
01-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Hunter is a behavior problem about to happen.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2003, 12:45 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Sox actually signed somebody to a four year deal?

Obviously the Twins aren't going away are they? (at least not until 2007 when the "contraction" clause expires...)

Lip

Twins8791
01-19-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Further evidence that Erstad is vastly overpaid. I'm so very glad that Disney nixed the Garland/Erstad trade.

It will be many, many years before the Sox have a center fielder with the talent and character of Erstad. If ever.

voodoochile
01-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
It will be many, many years before the Sox have a center fielder with the talent and character of Erstad. If ever.

Care to explain the logic on this point, or are you becoming a troll?

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 12:49 PM

Joe Borchard says hi.

WSI Personality, woohoo!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 01:58 PM

Yes, but the important question is, "Does he wear his cap askew?" That's the true measure of talent and character.

My God, will somebody take these whiney punks that are the Minnesota Twins and their pathetic rabble of bored Vikings fans, over their knee and finally spank them once and for all?

fuzzy_patters
01-19-2003, 02:00 PM
My God, will somebody take these whiney punks that are the Minnesota Twins and their pathetic rabble of bored Vikings fans, over their knee and finally spank them once and for all?

see "Colon, Bartolo" and "Buehrle, Mark"

voodoochile
01-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
see "Colon, Bartolo" and "Buehrle, Mark"

Add in "Koch, Billy"...

moochpuppy
01-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Hunter is a behavior problem about to happen.

My guess is that happens with Jacque Jones before it happens with Hunter.

I wonder how many doubles Jones will watch this season?

jeremyb1
01-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
KFAN is reporting the Twins have signed Torii Hunter to a 4 year, $32 million deal. A news conference is scheduled for later this afternoon.

That's a bargain if you ask me.

i don't know. lets see how hunter hits this year. he seems to have developed his hitting very last in his carreer so i'd be interested in seeing him continue to hit well. additionally, even last season he was only a good hitter. he's not an outstanding hitter by any means. what really drives his stock up is his defense. i understand the value of a good defensive center fielder but if his hitting were to slip slightly, he would turn into darrin lewis, mike cameron (last season at least), or - as previously stated - the incredibly overrated darrin erstad.

ma-gaga
01-23-2003, 10:15 AM
The problem, Torii is starting to swing for the fences. So his slugging is flying through the roof 0.550+, but his BA/OBP is hovering around 0.280/0.330. Still not to shabby for a 'defensive center fielder'.

If he performs THE SAME throughout the contract, it's a good deal for the Twins, compared to Erstad. If Torii continues to advance his hitting/pitch selection, the Twins got the 'home town discount', compared to Andrew Jones. Then again, if he tears his ACL next year, the Twins are in trouble.

We'll see what Carlos Beltran signs for. I've heard that the immesurable Scotty Boras asked for a 8 year $120MM-$160MM deal! But that's only a rumor for now.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 10:21 AM
We'll see what Carlos Beltran signs for. I've heard that the immesurable Scotty Boras asked for a 8 year $120MM-$160MM deal! But that's only a rumor for now.

I highly doubt that. There is no team on earth, next to the Yankees, who would pay Carols Beltran that kind of money. Sounds way to high.