PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Financial Result Of The Trade?

34 Inch Stick
01-17-2003, 10:04 AM
We gain Colon at 8.25 mil. We lose Osuna, who I think was 2 mil. I don't know what Biddle or Liefer made but I don't think it could have been much more than 1 mil combined (or am I showing complete ignorance on the state of average salaries).

That is only about a 5 million dollar increase. We should still be under last year's salary.

MetalliSox
01-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
We gain Colon at 8.25 mil. We lose Osuna, who I think was 2 mil. I don't know what Biddle or Liefer made but I don't think it could have been much more than 1 mil combined (or am I showing complete ignorance on the state of average salaries).

That is only about a 5 million dollar increase. We should still be under last year's salary.

Who cares? It's Reiny's money, not ours.

soxtalker
01-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Who cares? It's Reiny's money, not ours.

I think that we as fans should care for a number of reasons.

In the long run, it affects ticket prices. The complaints -- both on and outside of this board -- about the cost of attending a game are becoming more frequent. Yes, attendance depends a lot on the quality of the team, but the price also makes a difference.

However, there's also an impact short term. Even if the Sox have a magnificent season, there will be holes to fill along the way. Richie, Choice, etc. had salaries large enough that they (a) caused management to play them longer than desirable and (b) made management reluctant to spend extra salary.

Now, this doesn't mean that I want to take JR's side in all of the salary issues. For example, I'd hate for them to lose Buerhle. However, I'd like the GM to be good at the negotiating end of things.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

The Sox also sent $2 million of their own money (plus $2 million of the Yankees' money) to Montreal.

yyz
01-17-2003, 12:47 PM
The Sox also sent $2 million of their own money (plus $2 million of the Yankees' money) to Montreal.

Hold2 - Is that right? All of the reports I read said the Yankees gave us $2mm and we gave the Expos an undisclosed amount of cash. Was the undisclosed amount $4mm? (Not that I really care - I'm still ecstatic about this deal.)

FWIW, I think Osuna was scheduled to get $2.4mm. While we're in the mood to give Kenny credit, I think a lot of people questioned his signing of Osuna to a multi-year contract right after we acquired him and while he was coming off injury, but it has paid off.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by yyz
Hold2 - Is that right? All of the reports I read said the Yankees gave us $2mm and we gave the Expos an undisclosed amount of cash. Was the undisclosed amount $4mm? (Not that I really care - I'm still ecstatic about this deal.)

It heard several reports (in print and broadcast) stating that the Sox received $2 million from NY and sent $4 million to Canada.

34 Inch Stick
01-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Maybe Kenny really pulled one over on Minaya and sent it in Canadian dollars. 4 million Canadian is like $10 here now.

By the way, if anyone would actually answer my question before stealing this thread I'd appreciate it.

rwschm_bull
01-17-2003, 02:42 PM
If you want the financial result of the trade, you can only get half of the equation right now. Don't look at the trade from just a player salary perspective -- there's also some revenue side to the equation.

Folks like to go to baseball games, but they really like to go when they think there's a chance the good guys will win.

In '83, when Hoyt or Dotson pitched toward the end of the season, you knew the Sox were going to win. Ditto for '93 - '94 with McDowell and Bere. Sox had awesome crowds -- with some promotions -- I remember a Sunday night 1st Chicago promotion in mid-early-Sept '83 (well before the clinch) and we sat upper deck left center field (almost last row) and the place was jammed for a Sunday night game against a bad Angel club. Hoyt was going for #20.

I'll have to dig on-line through ESPN to check attendance figures but I would expect Buehrle had a slight bump to attendance last season -- nothing outrageous, but noticeable.

If your #1/#2 men in the rotation this year give folks a real reason to believe then the net gain from fannies in the stands (with parking and concessions) will far outweigh a slight increase.

A puny 20k bump in overall attendance (at a low 20$/fan average outlay) puts $400k in the bank. Advance sales increases are even more beneficial -- which is why season ticket sales figures ARE very important -- regardless of the game-day walkup (which is like pocket change to the ballclub) -- they're holding/banking that season ticket money a lot longer than they hold onto the game day/single game revenue.

I don't think Sox fans are beating a line to the ticket window based on this trade -- and there's far too many issues involved with the relationship of Sox fans vs. Jerry Reinsdorf to think one trade's going to right THAT ship anytime soon. But, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

And the best way Sox fans could show their appreciation right now would be sell out opening day.

It'd be nice to see a full house (45k) opening day for starters -- and 25k plus on day #2, as opposed to 41k and 19k for the AL Central 2002 favorite on a weekend opening series last year.

MarkEdward
01-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I think that we as fans should care for a number of reasons.

In the long run, it affects ticket prices.

Salaries don't affect ticket prices, however.

Rocklive99
01-17-2003, 03:17 PM
On the Score, I think Doug Buffone said it cost the Sox about $14 mil because they had to send money to both Montreal and NY, and then they have to pay for part of Colon's contract, not sure if he is credible though.

MisterB
01-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
On the Score, I think Doug Buffone said it cost the Sox about $14 mil because they had to send money to both Montreal and NY, and then they have to pay for part of Colon's contract, not sure if he is credible though.

Buffone's not even close.

taking on:
$8.25M (Colon's '03 salary) + $4M (cash to Expos) = $12.25M

taking off:
c. $2.5M (Osuna) + $2M (cash from Yankees) + c. $600K (Liefer & Biddle) = $5.1M

I'm considering the minor leaguers as a wash.

TOTAL: Sox pay out $7.15 Million.

My current estimate of the Sox payroll, considering minor raises for non-arbitration players and not including the pending contracts of Buehrle, Koch and (possibly) Flash Gordon is about $46M, and figure those 3 together could add as much as another $10M to it.