PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Reusse Column / Minneapolis Paper

Lip Man 1
01-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Some excerpts:

MINNEAPOLIS The lead story on the Twins Web site Wednesday carried the headline, "Winter Caravan keeps rolling along." The lead story on the Chicago White Sox Web site carried the headline, "White Sox acquire Bartolo Colon."

"It would seem the followers of the American League Central's other contender " the Mighty Whities " received a greater
surge of excitement when they logged on Wednesday.

"The White Sox are better than they were yesterday," Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said Wednesday. "I don"t think anybody would debate that."

There were post-World Series opinions offered in publications such as The Sporting News that the Twins could enter the 2003 season as the American League favorites.

The Yankees have put an end to that conversation with their ambitious offseason. And now the Twins figure to find themselves supplanted by the White Sox this spring as the AL Central's trendy pick.

"We knew the White Sox were going to try to do some things," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "They might not be finished. They are going to go after it. When youčre in a market like Chicago, you have to do that. "

"It's a big acquisition, obviously, but Colon can only pitch once every five days. We're going to be OK. Other than Colon drilling A.J. (Pierzynski) every time he faces our ballclub, it doesn't change much for us."

"We're going to keep all our guys."

The White Sox have a lineup that includes Magglio Ordonez, Frank Thomas, and Paul Konerko, along with Joe Crede. The most faithful of Twins followers would be required to admit that's
more power for the middle of a lineup than the defending Central champions will have to offer in 2003.

The advantage for the Twins must be in starting pitching. The acquisition of Colon brings that advantage into serious question.

The White Sox have traded in Ritchiečs horrendous bottom line for Colon's sparkling numbers: 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA for Cleveland and Montreal. The White Sox now have two No. 1 starters: Colon and Mark Buehrle.

The problem is, the starting pitching can't be merely as productive as the White Sox' for the Twins to stay on top of the Central. The Twins' starting pitching has to be significantly better, with Chicago's lineup advantage.

The White Sox also have upgraded their bullpen. The Whities also are going to add veteran righthander Tom Gordon.

"Bartolo Colon is one of the better pitchers in our game,"Ryan said. We have our work cut out for us. We had our work cut out for us even before the White Sox acquired him."

(Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service, http://www.shns.com.)

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Geeze, I am so sick of Twins fans bringing up Colon and Pierzynski everytime they talk about him. It's part of the game. Stop whining.

Chisox_cali
01-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Some excerpts:

"It's a big acquisition, obviously, but Colon can only pitch once every five days. We're going to be OK. Other than Colon drilling A.J. (Pierzynski) every time he faces our ballclub, it doesn't change much for us."

But we also have a guy named Mark Buehrle that'll pitch too. What was he like 5-1 against the Twins last year?

Huisj
01-17-2003, 02:26 AM
what's with them calling the sox the whities? it makes me think of underwear.

mrwag
01-17-2003, 09:20 AM
If a major league hitter can't face a little chin music when he deserves it, he shouldn't ben in the game. A little drilling every now and then from a stud pitcher should be the rule, not the exception, in my opinion. I like guys who have some stones and stands up for their team.

cheeses_h_rice
01-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Meet the Twins: The Whining Little Bitches of the AL Central

whitesoxwilkes
01-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Huisj

Their revenge for us calling them Twinkies I giess.

voodoochile
01-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
If a major league hitter can't face a little chin music when he deserves it, he shouldn't ben in the game. A little drilling every now and then from a stud pitcher should be the rule, not the exception, in my opinion. I like guys who have some stones and stands up for their team.

Totally agree. I think the Sox need some guys who are going to challange the Twins, physically, emotionally and verbally. Let's get it on. Toss the first one right at Hunter's head and let's get the party started...

CHISOXFAN13
01-17-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm still waiting for revenge on that little b@#$% Kielty for coming in spikes first in The Choice in early in 2001.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 12:09 PM

the whities! Now that's funny! :smile:

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 06:11 PM
I just found out yesterday that my Biology teacher is a Twinkies fan. This should make for a very interesting 2nd semester for me...

guillen4life13
01-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I just found out yesterday that my Biology teacher is a Twinkies fan. This should make for a very interesting 2nd semester for me...

interesting... mwahahahaha.

Make his/her life a living hell come opening day and beyond.

vegyrex
01-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Hehehehe, the whities. :smile:
I remember Wimpy telling Hawk the twins didn't want to give him a media guide because of Hawk calling them the Twinkies.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
interesting... mwahahahaha.

Make his/her life a living hell come opening day and beyond.

hehe, I plan on it. his FYI

RKMeibalane
01-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I, for one, will enjoy seeing Pierzynski "face the music" in 2003. I didn't appriciate his behavior last season when he shouted at Magglio Ordonez when his pop-up ended a game. That man loves to talk. I'd like to see what he has to say for himself when a fastball is closing in on his skull.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I, for one, will enjoy seeing Pierzynski "face the music" in 2003. I didn't appriciate his behavior last season when he shouted at Magglio Ordonez when his pop-up ended a game. That man loves to talk. I'd like to see what he has to say for himself when a fastball is closing in on his skull.

A Billy Koch 100mph fastball to be exact :)

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2003, 02:57 AM
what's with them calling the sox the whities? it makes me think of underwear. Take it from me, up here in Minnesota, it's not "them" calling the Sox the "whities." It is just Pat Reusse who uses that term, and he doesn't seem to use it as a negative, just a thing he says. I've never heard any other Minnesotan use that term. Reusse is no baseball genius; he is far more interested in golf.

I've had a lot of my Twins fan friends come up to me the last couple of days and comment about how the Colon acquisition changes the whole complexion the AL Central. The most negative thing I've heard is "I hope you enjoy him for the one year you'll have him, because the Sox won't re-sign him."