PDA

View Full Version : Jimenez or Harris?

SouthSideHitman
01-17-2003, 01:05 AM
I personally think that Jimenez looked great as leadoff man last year, he was patient and had a high OBP. He may not be fast like "Hollywood" but he seems better suited to set the table to me (and his winter ball numbers haven't hurt his case either). But I've been hearing lots of cases (all assuming Rowand and/or Borchard in center) for Harris given his glove, speed and "playmaking ability" whatever that means. So am I right, or does Willie look better leading of and playing second on March 31?

bc2k
01-17-2003, 02:07 AM
First off, I would like to know who is praising Harris. Secondly, you're smart enough to make your own opinions. I'm sure you've seen this guy play last year. Have you seen him get three consecutive non-bunting hits? No? Well I'm sure you've seen him do backflips that would make Jesse White's tumblers blush, seen him wear his bling-bling, hear him complain about playing time, and seen him stand like a deer in headlights while an elder colleague gets beat by Alsip trash.

Tony Graffaninose owns Willie. I'll take Tony two weeks removed from torn anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments over "The Tumbler," "Hollywood" Harris. If Harris is "Hollywood," then Graffaninose is "Bridgeport."

cornball
01-17-2003, 09:14 AM
I am not sure if Harris comes north with the club. IMHO

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 09:34 AM
I don't think Willie Harris will ever be more than a solid utility guy in the majors. But I agree that he should start '03 in AAA (assuming Tony G. is healthy). He's not ready to face major league pitching yet.

Bobby Thigpen
01-17-2003, 09:47 AM
This is a no brainer, you have to go with Jimenez. Harris, I'm afraid, will never be anything than a wannabe. He could be more because he does have alot of talent I believe. Unfortunately I think he has Clayton's work ethic.

soxruleEP
01-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Jimenez is a baseball player; Harris is an athlete.

Harris might be a good guy to have around if you have space on the roster because of his speed and his ability to be a fill-in in the outfield and 2B--but let's remember he is nothing more than a fill-in. He can't play third or short and he can't steal first.

If I had to pick between him and Tony G. there's no contest. Tony is a gamer and can fill-in more than adequately at all the infield positions.

I don't know if I even bring Harris north in the spring.

Rocklive99
01-17-2003, 04:10 PM
I'd say Jimenez is your leadoff man, but you never know, Willie might have another great spring training, and maybe if he starts in the majors, he can carry it into the regular season?

ssang
01-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Willie Harris is a punch and judy hitter. He has NO pop whatsoever and he will struggle to hit major league pitching. I doubt he will ever be more than a bench player and pinch runner. However, I do feel Manuel will continually play him more than he should and it will hurt the team.

WhiteSox = Life
01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Harris playing well because if he does, he'd be a threat to steal if he gets on base 35-40% of the time, and that would allow the hitters more relaxation to pound on the ball.

I just hope that if the White Sox do play Willie Harris, he either winds up being a solid, successful second-sacker (say that 5 times fast), or he winds up on the Brewers as soon as possible along with other White Sox rejects.

:hitless
"Wa....ork... eth-ic?"

yyz
01-17-2003, 07:31 PM
I think it's gotta be Jimenez. He hit better than Harris last year and tore up the Dominican league this year. (My favorite winter league stat, BTW, is Liefer with 26 SO and 6 BB in 19 games.) Harris has the advantage of being a lefty, which we could use, and being speedy, but I think Jimenez is such a much better *hitter* that it would be foolish to use Harris just because he fits the 'leadoff man' stereotype. Really, when has Harris ever demonstrated that he has what it takes to be an everyday player? Maybe he does, but we're lucky we've got enough other talent that we don't have to find out.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 08:29 PM
There's no question that you go with Jimenez, unless Harris really steps it up at Spring Training. The foremost priorty of a leadoff hitter is to get on base, no matter how you do it. Jimenez has a much better OBP than Harris. Harris's speed would be awfully nice to have, but his OBP just isn't there.

progers0826
01-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Before almost getting killed in a car wreck, Jimenez was rated alongside Soriano as a Yankees prospect. He could really play. My feeling is that it has taken him a long time to recover from that accident, and he may never fully recover, but is much closer to what he was at this point. That is excellent. I still don't understand why San Diego gave up on him so quickly but he looks like a great find for the White Sox. I see Jimenez as a full-time player, mostly at second but at short against many lefties (with Graffanino or Harris playing second and Valentin resting). Harris figures as a CF option. A platoon with Rowand is possible until Borchard arrives in the second half. Harris' winter ball definitely makes the White Sox more comfortable about center field in the interim.