PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Offseason

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm trying not to think about next year's offseason. We are going to have so many free agents and arbitration eligable players next year, I have no idea how JR is going to afford them all. There's no way he's going to give pay raises for all of those players. I just fear who we are going to lose next off season and end up an even worse team that the 2002 season.

MaggPipes
01-17-2003, 12:01 AM
That inlies the reasoning that we may sign I-Rod to a year deal....I think JR wants it all now....and who knows if we win the series maybe JR would sell and the new owner actually be willing to pay players.......

siugrad25
01-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Go Go -- I've been thinking about the same thing. I can't see the Sox signing Colon for $8-10 million per year after 2003. My only real question is 'just how good are the Sox.'

J-Hood once criticized Chicago fans for just being happy with a division winner or above .500 season. I think the Sox can capture the AL Central and maybe fair well in the postseason, but are they good enough to win the whole thing? I would hope that Sox management would try to build off a possible successful season, but forking over the cash to the next season, really will be the million-dollar question.

You got to figure, that if they really don't push the envelope this season, next year we might regress. I really hope I'm wrong. I know people will think we've got a great group of youngsters that will help us build a dynasty, but that's what they said about the Bears. And a couple injuries later, we finished 4-12. Now the youngsters are starting to look for money and who knows if we're going to keep them. I'm not trying to compare apple to oranges, but I do agree with other posts, we need to do something not only this year, but we should worry about beyond 2003. Great teams (i.e. Atlanta, Yankees) reload -- the White Sox rebuild. Let's just hope that 2003 is just a starting point, not an abarition.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Go Go -- I've been thinking about the same thing. I can't see the Sox signing Colon for $8-10 million per year after 2003. My only real question is 'just how good are the Sox.'

J-Hood once criticized Chicago fans for just being happy with a division winner or above .500 season. I think the Sox can capture the AL Central and maybe fair well in the postseason, but are they good enough to win the whole thing? I would hope that Sox management would try to build off a possible successful season, but forking over the cash to the next season, really will be the million-dollar question.

You got to figure, that if they really don't push the envelope this season, next year we might regress. I really hope I'm wrong. I know people will think we've got a great group of youngsters that will help us build a dynasty, but that's what they said about the Bears. And a couple injuries later, we finished 4-12. Now the youngsters are starting to look for money and who knows if we're going to keep them. I'm not trying to compare apple to oranges, but I do agree with other posts, we need to do something not only this year, but we should worry about beyond 2003. Great teams (i.e. Atlanta, Yankees) reload -- the White Sox rebuild. Let's just hope that 2003 is just a starting point, not an abarition.

I'm just extremely worried that we are going to have a horrible 2004. Anyone have a listing of who will be a free agent/abitration/option etc. after this season?

Dadawg_77
01-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Look there is no reason to talk about this now. Next year is very much dependent on this year success. Attendance will be up this year, just from the All Star game building up season ticket base. Acquiring Colon will hopefully bring more success to the team which in turn lead to a increase in the walk up crowd. So attendance will hopefully skyrocket this year. Also say if the Sox win the World Series this year, JR will bring everyone back and might add since the park would be sold out almost every night next year, win the ALCS, probably the same thing but with a stronger move to add. Win the divisional series or just make the playoffs, the Sox might stay pat or add but it depends on what new season ticket holders do.

Hangar18
01-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Go Go -- Great teams (i.e. Atlanta, Yankees) reload -- the White Sox rebuild. Let's just hope that 2003 is just a starting point, not an abarition.

GogoSox.....what an excellent quote.
Congratuations. Im going to make a Banner
with these exact words....Opening Day 2003. thanks GoSox

joecrede
01-17-2003, 12:27 PM
I'd be shocked, stunned, and probably a bit upset if Colon is with the Sox past this season. Getting him for one year without giving up much was a stroke of genius. Locking him up for 3-4 years for big money after that, given his weight and workload, wouldn't be the smartest thing.

Hopefully Garland and Wright will be ready to assume the #2 & #3 spots by '04.

gogosoxgogo
01-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'd be shocked, stunned, and probably a bit upset if Colon is with the Sox past this season. Getting him for one year without giving up much was a stroke of genius. Locking him up for 3-4 years for big money after that, given his weight and workload, wouldn't be the smartest thing.

Hopefully Garland and Wright will be ready to assume the #2 & #3 spots by '04.

I'll disagree with that. I wouldn't sign him to a 10 year deal by any means... but he's 29 years old, the peak of his career. Rack him up to a good 3 year deal or so and give us a little time to win this thing.