PDA

View Full Version : More Confident with Hitting or Pitching

OEO Magglio
01-16-2003, 07:09 PM
I think after acquiring Bartolo I'm more confident with the sox pitching then hitting, I really think Garland, Wright, and Rauch fill the 3-5 roles good and all have potential so succeed above where they are in the rotation, and I think all of them will, and they bullpen is real solid and I believe will be very very good. I am confident with the offense, but right now the offense seems to have more question marks then the pitching, so I say as of now I'm more confident with the pitching of the Sox(haven't been able to say that in a while) But I still think the lineup will be very good and produce a lot.

hose
01-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I think after acquiring Bartolo I'm more confident with the sox pitching then hitting, I really think Garland, Wright, and Rauch fill the 3-5 roles good and all have potential so succeed above where they are in the rotation, and I think all of them will, and they bullpen is real solid and I believe will be very very good. I am confident with the offense, but right now the offense seems to have more question marks then the pitching, so I say as of now I'm more confident with the pitching of the Sox(haven't been able to say that in a while) But I still think the lineup will be very good and produce a lot.

Sox are going to score plenty of runs.

I think some of the young Sox pitchers like Garland could have a break out season.

Hopefully Carlos Lee will put up a 25+ homer and 90+ rbi season.

Crede and Jimenez will get some more seasoning and be solid defensively.

Not sure how Rowand or Olivo will do.

Tragg
01-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Pitching, I agree. Our hitters still haven't proven to me, as a group, that they can hit superior pitching - we know they can hit bad and mediocre pitching.
Having 2 number one starters is a nice, nice position to be in.

Dadawg_77
01-17-2003, 09:35 AM
I am thinking 900 runs from the Sox lineup this year. So I guess I am more worried about Wright, Rauch.

Bobby Thigpen
01-17-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm definitely more worried about the pitching. From everything I've seen Colon isn't in as good of shape as he was going into last year, Wright and Garland are still up and down every start, and I'm not sure Rauch is physically ready yet. Our hitting will be just fine. With a 3,4,5,6,7 combo of Frank, Maggs, Pauly, Carlos, and Crede we'll score plenty of runs. Throw in average years for Valentin in the 2 spot and Jimenez and Rowand in the 1 and 8 and we're going to score alot of runs. I just hope its not in bunches like it was last year. We need more consistent runs.

Hullett_Fan
01-17-2003, 03:01 PM
I think we need a little more hitting and pitching.

I'm happy with the rotation for now. It's good enough to keep us in contention. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to pick up a decent starter during the season if Garland, Wright or Rauch do not look like 'playoff-caliber' starters.

Also have my fingers crossed that one of our prospects can fill the need for another LH middle reliever after Wunsch. Also hope Glover and Ginter progress. Seems like a thin pen IMO

Starting lineup will get us a ton of runs if Jimenez and Rowand have decent OBP. C and CF are holes...but plenty of teams have more holees than that/don't have players with good numbers that we have at other positions. Maggs, Konerko, Thomas, Lee...I'd take that over the much-hyped Sosa, Alou, McGriff powerhouse of last year :D:

Really need to find some bodies for the bench. Graff is fine but Harris scares me and can't think of who would back-up in the OF. A lefty stick to come off the bench is a major need.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I think we need a little more hitting and pitching.

I'm happy with the rotation for now. It's good enough to keep us in contention. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to pick up a decent starter during the season if Garland, Wright or Rauch do not look like 'playoff-caliber' starters.

Also have my fingers crossed that one of our prospects can fill the need for another LH middle reliever after Wunsch. Also hope Glover and Ginter progress. Seems like a thin pen IMO

Starting lineup will get us a ton of runs if Jimenez and Rowand have decent OBP. C and CF are holes...but plenty of teams have more holees than that/don't have players with good numbers that we have at other positions. Maggs, Konerko, Thomas, Lee...I'd take that over the much-hyped Sosa, Alou, McGriff powerhouse of last year :D:

Really need to find some bodies for the bench. Graff is fine but Harris scares me and can't think of who would back-up in the OF. A lefty stick to come off the bench is a major need.

They signed Armando Rios, formerly of Pittsburgh and San Francisco. I don't know if he can play CF as a backup, but he sounds like a decent left handed stick off the bench.

Hullett_Fan
01-17-2003, 04:34 PM
They signed Armando Rios, formerly of Pittsburgh and San Francisco. I don't know if he can play CF as a backup, but he sounds like a decent left handed stick off the bench.

Thanks...forgot about that with all the Colon news. A good signing. But like you say...probably not a good backup plan...especially needed if Rowand re-injures his shoulder. I can't think of anything good out there except Jose Cruz Jr. Is Vander Wal still available?

As for Relief...I think Grahame Lloyd is still available. I'd need to check his #s but IIRC he did OK for Expos.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Thanks...forgot about that with all the Colon news. A good signing. But like you say...probably not a good backup plan...especially needed if Rowand re-injures his shoulder. I can't think of anything good out there except Jose Cruz Jr. Is Vander Wal still available?

As for Relief...I think Grahame Lloyd is still available. I'd need to check his #s but IIRC he did OK for Expos.

Just saw something today saying Van Der Wall is still available, but I would imagine with the Rios signing that the Sox are done for back-up outfielders. Wee Willie Harris, presumably, could play in CF if Rowand were hurt.

Hullett_Fan
01-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Wee Willie Harris, presumably, could play in CF if Rowand were hurt.

Ughh..that's a scary proposition. He showed a couple flashes of brillance right after he was called up but not much after. To be a true contender in post season play I'd hope he steps it up or we find a better option. Shawon Dunston???? :D:

I guess I'll be fine with holes at catcher and CF as long as Jimenez, Crede and Rowand get on base for our big boppers.