PDA

View Full Version : Still Available

Lip Man 1
01-16-2003, 05:36 PM
A list of players who still haven't been signed. I'll leave you to debate who, if any, the Sox can use.

Ivan Rodriguez - C
Tony Clark - IN / DH
Keith Lockhart - IN
Jose' Hernandez - IN
Tyler Houston - IN / C (18HR's in 2000)
Ray Lankford - OF
Jose' Cruz Jr. - OF (18 HR's , 70 RBI's)
Dustin Hermanson - P
Reggie Sanders - OF (85 RBI's)
James Baldwin - P
Kenny Rogers - P (13-8 3.84 ERA)
Roberto Hernandez - RP (26 saves)
Rick Helling - P (allowed two or fewer earned runs in 15 starts)
Travis Lee - IN
David Ortez - IN / DH ( 75 RBI's)
Lee Stevens - IN / DH
Jeff Suppan - P (200+ IP last four years)
Chuck Finley - P
"Flash" Gordon - RP (expected to sign with the Sox)

Lip

jeremyb1
01-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A list of players who still haven't been signed. I'll leave you to debate who, if any, the Sox can use.

Ivan Rodriguez - C
Tony Clark - IN / DH
Keith Lockhart - IN
Jose' Hernandez - IN
Tyler Houston - IN / C (18HR's in 2000)
Ray Lankford - OF
Jose' Cruz Jr. - OF (18 HR's , 70 RBI's)
Dustin Hermanson - P
Reggie Sanders - OF (85 RBI's)
James Baldwin - P
Kenny Rogers - P (13-8 3.84 ERA)
Roberto Hernandez - RP (26 saves)
Rick Helling - P (allowed two or fewer earned runs in 15 starts)
Travis Lee - IN
David Ortez - IN / DH ( 75 RBI's)
Lee Stevens - IN / DH
Jeff Suppan - P (200+ IP last four years)
Chuck Finley - P
"Flash" Gordon - RP (expected to sign with the Sox)

Lip

i'd consider seeing if hernandez would want to return.

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Exactly what I was thinking. Sign him for one year with an option for two.

34rancher
01-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing JB back. We need a guy not afraid of wearing his cap low. And walk around Comiskey like he owns the joint.

Daver
01-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing JB back. We need a guy not afraid of wearing his cap low. And walk around Comiskey like he owns the joint.

You're crazy.

:)

kevingrt
01-16-2003, 06:26 PM

Dude I'm all with you! Wouldn't he be a great 4th or 5th starter, I wouldn't mind that at all.

I would also think of getting Roberto Hernandez if he could handle a non-closer role. He killed us last year, so if you can't beat him pay $$$ so he can join ya!

gosox3072
01-16-2003, 06:26 PM
I love JB he would make a great # 4 or #5 to our rotation

GOSOX

Foulke You
01-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Rick Helling has been a solid pitcher in the AL and was arguably one of the Rangers best for many years. He's worth a look but I doubt we'll see any more free agent pitcher signings. Kenny Williams said as much in the Sun-Times today. He's "tapped out" as far as payroll goes. I guess we should be just be happy we got Colon.

MarkEdward
01-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Since we're close to signing Tom Gordon, what's the point? He doesn't strike anyone out anymore, and isn't very dominant against leftys or righties.

RKMeibalane
01-16-2003, 06:58 PM
It's too bad the Ray Lankford listed is not the Ray Lankford of 1997. I would have been interested to have that player on the Sox. The current Lankford is worthless.

siugrad25
01-16-2003, 07:21 PM
ESPNEWS is reporting that the Cubs signed Tom Gordon to a one-year, minor-league deal. Thank God. The last thing I want on the Sox is a hasbeen former Flub.

Daver
01-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
ESPNEWS is reporting that the Cubs signed Tom Gordon to a one-year, minor-league deal. Thank God. The last thing I want on the Sox is a hasbeen former Flub.

ESPNNews has their Chicago teams confused then,a deal for Tom Gordon with the Sox is pending a physical.

delben91
01-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25

ESPN is reporting that the Cubs signed
Tom Goodwin.
Goodwin signing (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=10022519)

Originally posted by daver

ESPNNews has their Chicago teams confused then,a deal for Tom Gordon with the Sox is pending a physical.

ESPN has nothing up on Tom Gordon yet.

Tragg
01-16-2003, 08:25 PM

I'm surprised no one has tried JB in the bullpen. Out of the ex Sox players, I'd take roberto - we might need a little pen depth with the losses of osuna and howry.

Now, if Schuerler were the GM, we wouldn't have Colon, but we'd probably have signed, oh, kenny rogers. Which is why, despite his gaffes, Williams is the superior GM to Schueler.

Nellie_Fox
01-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing JB back. We need a guy not afraid of wearing his cap low. And walk around Comiskey like he owns the joint. And take five minutes getting from the mound to the dugout at the end of the inning, walking like a bartender with bad feet.

Ol Aches & Pains
01-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by daver

I'm no doctor, but Tom Gordon wouldn't pass my physical, I promise you. Why do they want him, do they think Herm Schneider won't have enough to do?

WillieHarris12
01-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Bring in one more pitcher or make Josh Stewart the No. 5 starter for opening day.

doublem23
01-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Oh my god, no more James Baldwin.

doublem23
01-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Bring in one more pitcher or make Josh Stewart the No. 5 starter for opening day.

:rauch
*Ahem*

Chisox_cali
01-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
:rauch
*Ahem*

I never seen a pic of Stewart, but I'm Rauch towers over him, and in turn could beat his ass if called for. :D:

MarkEdward
01-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12

He had an ERA of 3.50 in AA last year. How can he be effective in the majors this year?

duke of dorwood
01-16-2003, 10:34 PM
We need another left handed hitter-3 right handed hitting catchers? Lets make room for a left handed bat.

MaggPipes
01-16-2003, 10:41 PM
I am all for leaving the rotation where it is at.....no nead to get to greedy and have KW trade Garland and Rauch for Vasquez or something along that line...

Beuhrle- can expect 3 Era close 20 W's
Colon-same
Garland maybe sub 4...atleast hanging around 4 15 Wins
Wright-4.5 Era 12-15
Rauch-?????????

See Rauch is the wild card....he could end up being the best pitcher on our staff THIS year....some of you may think i am crazy......but he could.....IF he is 100%................

34rancher
01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I'm surprised no one has tried JB in the bullpen.

The Sox did have him in the pen. He was "demoted" there in something like 96. Then he had to make a spot start in either Toronto or Seattle ( I just remember it was a dome), and he dominated. From then on, he was a heck of a leader. JB would be an awesome leader in the club house. He was always good for the practical jokes. I say see if he is interested. You never know.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Yes Williams said he was "tapped out" in that story but he also stated that he was STILL considering bringing in a free agent for the back end of the rotation.

Lip

bc2k
01-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
And take five minutes getting from the mound to the dugout at the end of the inning, walking like a bartender with bad feet.

I remember JB saying that the better the inning he pitched, the slower he walked from the mound to the dugout. So I always dug his slow strut since it meant he was pitching well.

The Sox did have him in the pen. He was "demoted" there in something like 96. Then he had to make a spot start in either Toronto or Seattle ( I just remember it was a dome), and he dominated. From then on, he was a heck of a leader. JB would be an awesome leader in the club house. He was always good for the practical jokes. I say see if he is interested. You never know.

I also remember JB being DOMINANT in the domes. I forget his record in them, but I know it was unusually good - especially for a mediocre pitcher.

siugrad25
01-17-2003, 12:20 AM
I could have swore it said Tom Gordon... My apologies to those that are ready for Tom to lead us to the promise land. Sorry too many Cub fan friends that believed Gordon was a savier. Not ready to be excited over Gordon, but an I-Rod signing, that's another story.

MaggPipes
01-17-2003, 07:13 AM
Gordon was THE closer for the Cubs.........with us he would be a set-up man and a darn good one............

harwar
01-17-2003, 08:16 AM
I'll take Tom Gordon over Roberto Hernandez anyday.Gordons' got a live fastball IF hes' healthy. Everything that i've read about Roberto is bad,i think hes' done.Tom Gordon is a head case but he can really pitch if hes' ok.I think its a nother good move by K.W.(can't believe i'm saying good things about Ken Williams,it feels weird).

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
I love JB he would make a great # 4 or #5 to our rotation

GOSOX

Instead of Wright or Rauch? I seriously doubt that JB would be any better than either of those guys (he was worse than Wright last year) and he would be impeding their development. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing him him back on the team as a long reliever in the bullpen, with the possibility of starting if one of the guys in the rotation breaks down or is ineffective.

Bobby Thigpen
01-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Where were all of you JB guys about a month ago when I brought this up and got blasted for it? :smile: I really would like to see JB back, but I don't know in what role. I think the rotation is pretty solid, especially if Rauch is healthy and pitches to the ability he showed in flashes last year. JB would probably be better off filling the Sean Lowe type role. Long relief, spot starter. I also wouldn't mind seeing more help in the pen, but maybe not Roberto. Although he did break Ripken's nose and that has to count for something.