PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Opening Day Roster.

MarkEdward
01-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Here's my line-up:
C Olivo
1B Konerko
2B Jimenez
3B Crede
SS Valentin
LF Lee
CF Borchard
RF Ordonez
DH Thomas

Batting Order:
1. Jimenez
2. Lee
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Crede
7. Borchard
8. Valentin
9. Olivo

Bench:
OF Rios
OF Rowand
IF Harris
IF Graffanino
C Alomar

Starting Rotation
1. Buehrle
2. Colon
3. Garland
4. Wright
5. Rauch

Bullpen:
Koch
Gordon
Wunsch
Marte
Glover
Ginter

hold2dibber
01-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Here's my line-up:
C Olivo
1B Konerko
2B Jimenez
3B Crede
SS Valentin
LF Lee
CF Borchard
RF Ordonez
DH Thomas

Batting Order:
1. Jimenez
2. Lee
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Crede
7. Borchard
8. Valentin
9. Olivo

Bench:
OF Rios
OF Rowand
IF Harris
IF Graffanino
C Alomar

Starting Rotation
1. Buehrle
2. Colon
3. Garland
4. Wright
5. Rauch

Bullpen:
Koch
Gordon
Wunsch
Marte
Glover
Ginter

I agree with everything except:

(1) I think Borchard needs more time in AAA, so I'd leave him off and plug Rowand into CF, batting Jose 6th, Crede 7th, Rowand 8th and Olivo 9th (need Jose before Crede just to break up the steady stream of right handed hitters.

(2) Against left handed pitching, I'd start Graffinino at 2B and Jimenez at SS, with Graffy hitting 7th and Crede moving up to 6th.

(3) In place of Borchard on the roster, I'd add either Almonte, Munoz or Sanders (I don't really know enough about them to chose, but if I had to, I'd probably give Almonte a shot).

jeremyb1
01-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Here's my line-up:
C Olivo
1B Konerko
2B Jimenez
3B Crede
SS Valentin
LF Lee
CF Borchard
RF Ordonez
DH Thomas

Batting Order:
1. Jimenez
2. Lee
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Crede
7. Borchard
8. Valentin
9. Olivo

Bench:
OF Rios
OF Rowand
IF Harris
IF Graffanino
C Alomar

Starting Rotation
1. Buehrle
2. Colon
3. Garland
4. Wright
5. Rauch

Bullpen:
Koch
Gordon
Wunsch
Marte
Glover
Ginter

i like that pretty well. i also think borchard needs more AAA time. rowand is suitable and there's no reason to call up borchard until he hits AAA pitching better. hopefully that only takes half a season.

if we didn't take borchard, harris would be the fifth of and we could take another pitcher unless the organization continues to insist we'll carry three catchers. i think i'd take munoz and ginter in the last two spots although its a tough call. certainly almonte, stewart, sanders, and others will also get a look in the spring. it'll be a dogfight, especially if we only carry 11 pitchers.

OEO Magglio
01-16-2003, 05:56 PM
I also think borchard is going to be in aaa at the start of the year, I think the bullpen is going to be a battle between almonte,munoz,and ginter for the last spot, and I'm pretty sure jose will be batting second, so the lineup would look like this:

jiminez 2b
jose ss
frank dh
maggs rf
pk 1b
caballo lf
crede 3b
rowand cf
olivo c

joecrede
01-16-2003, 06:27 PM
I think their bench could be shored up. I'm not comfortable with Graffinino as the utility IF'er. He can only really play 2nd base.

I think with the addition of Colon they won't need to carry a long reliever. I'd like to two of the following three, Munoz, Sanders, Wunsch in the pen. Ideally, it would be be Munoz and Sanders and then maybe they could deal Wunsch at the end of ST to fill a hole on the bench.

soxgal40
01-17-2003, 09:06 AM
i agree with everything except the bullpen. you guys forgot someone: jim parque. that's right, parque. i think the sox need him. sure he had a really bad season during 2002, but you guys can't forget that he came off surgery. i think he wasn't fully recovered yet. i'd give him another chance. (even though i know he's not coming back because kenny williams hates the guy).

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I think with the addition of Colon they won't need to carry a long reliever.

Why?

Iwritecode
01-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by soxgal40
i agree with everything except the bullpen. you guys forgot someone: jim parque. that's right, parque. i think the sox need him. sure he had a really bad season during 2002, but you guys can't forget that he came off surgery. i think he wasn't fully recovered yet. i'd give him another chance. (even though i know he's not coming back because kenny williams hates the guy).

IIRC, they can't even sign Parque until May 1. Not that I'd want them to anyways...

As far as the lineup goes, I think MarkEdward hit everthing on the nose except I'd replace Borchard with Rowand as the starting CF'er and put Josh Paul on the bench with Borchard starting the season in AAA. I don't think Paul can be sent to AAA without clearing waivers. Probably the only way Borchard starts the season in the majors is if Rowand starts on the DL or Olivo starts in AAA.

joecrede
01-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Colon and Buehrle should go 7 innings most times and Garland and Wright should go 6 innings the majority of times. I think this would eliminate the need to carry a designated long reliever like Ginter, using that bullpen spot instead for a third lefty for match-up purposes. Glover can swing between long and middle relief if need be. Just thinking aloud here.

hold2dibber
01-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Colon and Buehrle should go 7 innings most times and Garland and Wright should go 6 innings the majority of times. I think this would eliminate the need to carry a designated long reliever like Ginter, using that bullpen spot instead for a third lefty for match-up purposes. Glover can swing between long and middle relief if need be. Just thinking aloud here.

You have to have someone capable of long relief in the pen. I mean, even the best pitchers get blown out of the park a few times each year. And Garland, Wright, and Rauch, despite all their potential, still haven't proven that they can be good, consistent starters over the long haul. You can't just assume they won't get knocked around every now and again. They need someone other than just Glover who can go 4 of 5 innings if need be. Sounds like Ginter or maybe Stewart or Sanders to me.

RKMeibalane
01-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Batting Order:

2B- Jimenez
SS- Valentin
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
1B- Konerko
LF- Lee
3B- Crede
CF- Rowand
C- Olivio

Starting Rotation:

Beuhrle
Colon
Garland
Wright
Rauch

Bullpen:

Koch
Gordon
Marte
Glover
Ginter
Wunsch

SouthSideHitman
01-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You have to have someone capable of long relief in the pen. I mean, even the best pitchers get blown out of the park a few times each year. And Garland, Wright, and Rauch, despite all their potential, still haven't proven that they can be good, consistent starters over the long haul. You can't just assume they won't get knocked around every now and again. They need someone other than just Glover who can go 4 of 5 innings if need be. Sounds like Ginter or maybe Stewart or Sanders to me.

That would be a great spot for Stewart to start out in. Assuming he heads north after spring training, I'd love to see him in the pen, it would be great for Jerry to carry another lefty given his tinkering and the Sox need a Sean Lowe/Rocky Biddle-type guy just incase, to take three innings in (Sox) blowouts, step in when someone's getting shelled or make a spot start when the injury bug (may it never return) bites. If nothing else, it seems that every year the Sox win the first Sox-cubs game at Comiskey after the starter leaves early and the swing man stops the bleeding. Also, it would allow the Sox to evaluate Stewart at the major league level without having all the pressure that Wells did in 00 and 01.

WillieHarris12
01-17-2003, 09:38 PM
I would love to see Stewart as the #5.

Daver
01-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
I would love to see Stewart as the #5.

Are you sure about that?

Stewart is not that close to being able to pitch at the MLB level.

WillieHarris12
01-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
Are you sure about that?

Stewart is not that close to being able to pitch at the MLB level.

Never hurts to try. Might as well if Rauch is the guy to beat.

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Never hurts to try. Might as well if Rauch is the guy to beat.

I haven't seen/read much about Stewart that really overly impresses me. Rauch will be a lot bigger than him. I think now is the time to trade Stewart. He's coming off a good year with Birmingham that I don't think he'll be able to repeat.

bc2k
01-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Batting Carlos second in the order really intrigues me. Carlos, ARow and Wright are my breakout horses this year. These three can be what puts us over the Twins.

I don't agree with the thinking that since Gary Glover was a starter/middle reliever last year, he is destined for the middle relief role this season. Does anyone else remember how dominant he was as a set-up man? Just because he has the arm strength to throw 6 innings doesn't mean he should.

Although I like the guy, he wasn't good enough to keep his starter position. He was decent in relief but, imho, will be much more valuable as Koch's set-up man.

11. Koch
10. Glover
9. Marte
8. Gordon
7. Wunsch
6. Ginter

I question whether Ginter is good enough to hold the long relief role. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the minor leaguers, but maybe a strong ST showing could earn them the position.

Is my boy Sean Lowe signed for 2003? If not, I'd like to see him invited to ST.

doublem23
01-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Lowe is on Williams' **** list. He'll pitch my grandma before he ever lets Lowe in South Side pinstripes again.

WillieHarris12
01-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I haven't seen/read much about Stewart that really overly impresses me. Rauch will be a lot bigger than him. I think now is the time to trade Stewart. He's coming off a good year with Birmingham that I don't think he'll be able to repeat.

Stewart is already 25, he deserves to get a chance.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Stewart is already 25, he deserves to get a chance.

I could care less about how old someone is! I want the best player possible in the bullpen next year, it makes no difference to me if he's 20 years old or 25.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Yes Sean Lowe was signed to a minor league contract by the Royals.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind inviting Lowe to spring training if he wasn't signed by KC, but I wouldn't go out and offer him any type of contract.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Lowe is on Williams' **** list. He'll pitch my grandma before he ever lets Lowe in South Side pinstripes again.

To this very day, I am completely baffled why Kenny Williams hated Sean Lowe so much. Shipping Lowe off to Charlotte back in 2001 was the first big sign KW had no clue what he was doing as GM. Lowe was a very effective long reliever and spot starter. Sending him to AAA made absolutely no sense.

Yes, Lowe wanted to be a starter but how many relievers can you name that wouldn't prefer starting, too? That's no reason to ship the guy off the team--especially when he is one of only a handful that showed they could get the job done.

lighttowerpower1
01-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
That would be a great spot for Stewart to start out in. Assuming he heads north after spring training, I'd love to see him in the pen, it would be great for Jerry to carry another lefty given his tinkering and the Sox need a Sean Lowe/Rocky Biddle-type guy just incase, to take three innings in (Sox) blowouts, step in when someone's getting shelled or make a spot start when the injury bug (may it never return) bites. If nothing else, it seems that every year the Sox win the first Sox-cubs game at Comiskey after the starter leaves early and the swing man stops the bleeding. Also, it would allow the Sox to evaluate Stewart at the major league level without having all the pressure that Wells did in 00 and 01.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have a possible good prospect like Stewart sitting in the bullpen as a long reliever at the start of the season. He could possibly sit for several days at a time doing nothing while Jerry tinkers around with things. Didn't they do that with Rauch last year? Didn't Rauch have trouble finding any kind of a rhythm last year after starting the year like that. Stewart would be best off starting every 5th day in AAA, getting into a good groove and being called up in May or June if he is doing well enough to pitch in the majors.

Almonte is a guy that seems to have a good chance of going north with the club this year. He has already proven himself at every other level. He has never been considered one of the top prospects, but seems to always succeed wherever he goes. I would see him as having a future as a 6th or 7th inning guy or maybe long reliever.

Daver
01-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by soxgal40

Parque dosent like KW. At All. He is not returning, and that is a great thing. Butter was horrible. If you cant play, you can atleast not complain, but he did that too. Those 2 dont go good together. Think of it as a blessing that he is gone.