PDA

View Full Version : BA on Arnaldo Munoz


Daver
01-16-2003, 05:23 PM
CHICAGO–Like a good wristwatch, Arnaldo Munoz just keeps ticking. The little lefthander was arguably the top pitcher in winter ball this offseason, putting him in the picture for a job in the Chicago bullpen.

"I think he’s going to come very quick," White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. "I’m really excited about him."

Why not? Munoz used a dynamite curveball, a high-80s fastball and a collection of other plus pitches to go 4-0, 1.55 with four saves in the Dominican League. His ERA led the league and he held opponents to a .165 average. He also led the league with 74 strikeouts in 41 innings as a middle reliever. It equaled the most strikeouts in the league since Jeff Edwards fanned 76 in 1989-90.

Munoz, signed by the White Sox out of the Dominican Republic in 1998, continued to pitch well in the league’s postseason round-robin. He earned saves in his first two outings, striking out seven in 32ˇ3 scoreless innings. Not bad for a 20-year-old one year removed from low Class A.

The White Sox figured to watch him carefully in spring training because his heavy winter workload followed a season when he helped Double-A Birmingham win the Southern League title. Munoz went 6-0, 2.61 with six saves in 51 appearances. He struck out 78 in 72 innings.

Manuel was impressed with Munoz last spring but has never seen him when his curve is really snapping. "It’s just tough to get a read on a curveball in that thin air," he said.

Lefthanders Damaso Marte, Mike Porzio and Kelly Wunsch are more likely to return to the Sox bullpen. Lefthander David Sanders, who led the Arizona Fall League with six wins and a 0.75 ERA, also has a better shot at the big club than Munoz.

hose
01-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Phil Rogers has mentioned Munoz quite a few times and thinks he could be a part of the bullpen this season.

doublem23
01-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Porzio?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

delben91
01-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Not that he'd be the first option or anything, but what ever happened to Ken Vining? Is he still in the organization somewhere? And by any chance showing any promise of becoming anything?

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Man, I haven't seen this kid in person... but from everything I'm reading about him, he's sounding a lot like that kid on the Angels in the post season... K-Rod. Boy, I can't wait to see what Munoz is going to do in spring training.

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Not that he'd be the first option or anything, but what ever happened to Ken Vining? Is he still in the organization somewhere? And by any chance showing any promise of becoming anything?

His stats last year in AAA:

W L SV ERA G IP H R ER BB KO HR
2 5 1 2.87 44 47.0 37 15 15 25 35 4

Not bad at all. If he could pick up more of the K's, maybe... but hey, I'll take what he has there.

RichH55
01-16-2003, 09:44 PM
I believe Vining is with the Astros these days......Any word on how far Royce Ring is away from competing for a bullpen job?

doublem23
01-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Man, I haven't seen this kid in person... but from everything I'm reading about him, he's sounding a lot like that kid on the Angels in the post season... K-Rod. Boy, I can't wait to see what Munoz is going to do in spring training.

Pardon my stupidity, but I thought Rodriguez just threw nasty style heat, while Munoz has a curve.

:?:

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Pardon my stupidity, but I thought Rodriguez just threw nasty style heat, while Munoz has a curve.

:?:

If I recall correctly, Rogriguez has a nasty slider.

MarkEdward
01-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I believe Vining is with the Astros these days......Any word on how far Royce Ring is away from competing for a bullpen job?

I'm assuming he'll start in Kannapolis. He was decent in Winston Salem last year, but not very dominant (23 IP, 3.91 ERA, 22 Ks, 11BBs).

Chisoxfn
01-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Not that he'd be the first option or anything, but what ever happened to Ken Vining? Is he still in the organization somewhere? And by any chance showing any promise of becoming anything?

I remember reading someone else signed him.

Daver
01-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'm assuming he'll start in Kannapolis. He was decent in Winston Salem last year, but not very dominant (23 IP, 3.91 ERA, 22 Ks, 11BBs).

Why would he be moved down from Winston Salem to Kannapolis?

I would think he would stay with Winston and be considered for a promotion to Birmingham.

MarkEdward
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by daver
Why would he be moved down from Winston Salem to Kannapolis?

I would think he would stay with Winston and be considered for a promotion to Birmingham.

I guess I was being a bit too harsh. He probably won't get demoted, but I'd like to see his K rate go up before promoting him.

Unregistered
01-17-2003, 03:40 PM
courtsey of cbs.sportsline.com HOUSTON ASTROS TRANSACTIONS
11/1 Signed pitchers Chris Gissell, Jonathan Johnson, Miguel Saladin and Ken Vining to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training. Bye Ken.