PDA

View Full Version : Whom should the Sox get next?

Viva Magglio
01-16-2003, 07:45 AM
If the White Sox make another acquisition, whom would you like it to be?

jortafan
01-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Another outfielder, one who can really play center field, would be nice. But hasn't KW exceeded his quota for deals? I'd hate to see him try another one, just so he could show us he hasn't lost his touch for overpaying.

moochpuppy
01-16-2003, 08:30 AM
I would like the Sox to sign no one else. I like the makeup of this current team. If they can stay healthy we are looking at a very exciting summer at Comiskey.

Plus, I don't think KW should push his luck.

93-69 1st place
12-7 vs. the Twins

Divisional playoff matchup with the A's.

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2003, 08:31 AM
How much would Beltran cost?

doublem23
01-16-2003, 08:37 AM
I suppose I-Rod, because with Rowand we at least have someone "somewhat" capable of playing that position, but with Alomar, Olivio, and Paul our only current options, we're really thin on the catching.

rmusacch
01-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I thought Jose Cruz Jr. was already signed. I think Toronto is stupid for getting rid of him.

bc2k
01-16-2003, 09:34 AM
I'd prefer a wait-and-see approach. Wait until June or July to aquire that key player that will give us the playoff edge. We'll have a much better idea of where we need help in July as opposed to now.

Dadawg_77
01-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I'd prefer a wait-and-see approach. Wait until June or July to aquire that key player that will give us the playoff edge. We'll have a much better idea of where we need help in July as opposed to now.

Playing off my old sig? Man.

Actually it is cheaper to aquire someone now then it is during the season.

gosox41
01-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

A new GM and a new manager. As much as KW made a good trade here, he's still hurt the Sox more then helped them the last 3 years.

Bob

:jerry

I can't wait to start tinkering. I think Bartolo will really help out of the bullpen as a middle reliever.

CHISOXFAN13
01-16-2003, 10:40 AM
I disagree. I understand the Ritchie trade was horrendous but he's managed to pick up Marte and Jimenez, two key pieces to this year's team, for virtually nothing. He also picked up Felix Diaz who ranks as one of the top prospects in the organization for Lofton. This guy has proven he'll go for the jugular. Would you rather have Jim Hendry who continues to sign every available player over the age of 35????

fuzzy_patters
01-16-2003, 10:58 AM
If I have to choose, I'll take JV. IROD would be nice, but we already have a potent lineup without him. With JV, a three man playoff rotation would consist of Buehrle, Colon, and Vazquez. This would give us a great shot at a World Series.

bc2k
01-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Playing off my old sig? Man.

Actually it is cheaper to aquire someone now then it is during the season.

Glad you noticed the sig.

While it may be cheaper now, we do not yet know where that help is needed. We do not know if or who will get injured, underachieve, or fail to meet expectations. We'll have a better idea come summer.

DirtySouthsider
01-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Beltran is looking fo at least 10 mil a year according to ESPN Insider!

VeeckAsInWreck
01-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Vazquez, because that would make Garland and Wright starters #4 & 5. That is where they will be able to thrive. Our offense is potent enough already, it is the SP that I was concerned about.

kevingrt
01-16-2003, 06:12 PM
You can never have enough starting pitching for the Sox, get Vazquez

gogosoxgogo
01-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Vazquez. Not only will he be a great difference maker, but he's signed beyond this year, will push Garland and Wright back even farther, taking more pressure off them, and allowing them to perform even better, will give Rauch more time before he's rushed up too soon following an arm injury, but he'll also be a cheaper option than Beltran or I-Rod. And like so many people have said... you can never have enough starting pitching.

WhiteSox = Life
01-16-2003, 08:42 PM
I voted for Beltran because I think it'd be easier to pick up a quality pitcher during the season than a quality centerfielder. I mean, look, KW signed Lofton during the offseason and that experiment failed. What would have happened if there were a midseason centerfielder pickup?

Just poking some fun at KW. Old habits die hard.

Anyway, either Beltran or Vasquez would be great pick-ups, but, reading some of the thoughts in this thread, and Beltran's current price, I'd rather have Vasquez now.

Or, get both! Uncle Jerry's opened his wallet. Mooch all you can before it closes back up and gets thrown into the safe again!