PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Primer on the Colon trade

Tavarin
01-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Oracle Says:

The White Sox give up Antonio Osuna, Rocky Biddle, Jeff Liefer, and Delvis Mantigua in return for Bartolo Colon and Jorge Nunez.

Was Kenny Williams replaced as GM without anybody noticing? This is highway robbery; if you eliminated the less valuable spare parts on both sides of this trade, you get a trade of a year of Bartolo Colon's services and exclusive rights. For free. Osuna's a useful reliever, Biddle and Mantigua are replacement-levelish arms and Liefer's a creature who's credentials as a power hitter is the stuff of mythology like Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, or Chester A. Arthur.

The Expos, in return for Colon and Nunez, receieve El Duque, Rocky Biddle, Jeff Liefer, and $2 million, apparently working under the belief that owning a single 100-dollar bill is less valuable than 69 dollars because the latter consists of more pieces of paper.

The Yankees got involved in this trade to grab a useful reliever in exchange for El Duque and $2 million. Too rich for my blood and I fail to see how the Yankees got their money's worth.

Easy, easy, easy win for the White Sox here. If this was the idea of Williams, which it may not be because the White Sox came out ahead, this is enough to wipe out that stupid Todd Ritchie trade and then some.

hah, thats great, especially when compared to what they said about the Ritchie trade before.

Neither Evans or Fogg are real prospects, so the trade really boils down to Ritchie for Wells and Lowe. Ritchie has established himself as a right around league average pitcher the last couple years after his strong 1999. Wells has been about as mediocre as Ritchie has been the last couple of years and being 25 next year instead of 30, probably has more of an upside (and, I believe, better stuff, too). When you add in Sean Lowe, who bounced back from a weak 2000 and might very well be in the Pirates' rotation, I think the trade clearly tips in favor of the Pirates. Generally, I think losing a trade to the Pirates is grounds for immediate dismissal, but the White Sox are too gutless to fire Williams.

OfficerKarkovice
01-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Liefer's a creature who's credentials as a power hitter is the stuff of mythology like Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, or Chester A. Arthur.

LOL!!!

34 Inch Stick
01-16-2003, 10:38 AM
I think it would have been funnier if they said Russell Branyan or Phillp Buchanon. Corner players who hit .250, strike out a lot and might get you 20 homers can be found all over baseball. The name doesn't really matter, they are all the same player.