PDA

View Full Version : How About Going for IT ALL!

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Why not continue to go after Vasquez!? I would be willing to give up C.Lee and Rauch to land our final piece to the puzzle.
Vasquez is a young horse with great stuff whose best days are definetly ahead of him.
We could throw him in at #3 and really scare some people.
But we would also have to count on Big Frank having a good year to pick up for the abscense of Lee, but maybe Borchard could pick up that slack too?

Whattdathink??

Daver
01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
Why not continue to go after Vasquez!? I would be willing to give up C.Lee and Rauch to land our final piece to the puzzle.
Vasquez is a young horse with great stuff whose best days are definetly ahead of him.
But we would also have to count on Big Frank having a good year to pick up for the abscense of Lee, but maybe Borchard could pick up that slack too?

Whattdathink??

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

RedPinStripes
01-15-2003, 06:10 PM

Whattdathink??

I'd rather watch Rauch turn into a stud here.

pudge
01-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd rather watch Rauch turn into a stud here.

Agreed - we have a similar convo going in another thread... let's fill the hole with a FA such as Finley or Rogers or somethin' and hold on to potential stars like Lee and Rauch...

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2003, 08:11 PM
I just think Vasquez is much farther along and probably much more talented than Rauch. Vasquez has pitched 200 innings in each of the last three seasons and is still very young and very cheap!
As far as Lee, I think the time is ticking on him with Borchard breathing down his neck.
It's been toooo long since we've seen a world series in this town and I think the Colon move was tremendous......but if you are going to go that far then you have to go all the way!

If they don't go after Vasquez......then since Ivan R.

I just don't want everybody to be satisfied with the playoffs! It's about time people in Chicago start thinking bigger than that!!!!!

duke of dorwood
01-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Gotta keep Rauch-we may only have Colon 1 year.

DirtySouthsider
01-15-2003, 09:21 PM
If we are only going to have Colon for a year (which I think we will re-sign anyway) then that supports my idea of going for it all right now!
Why try to just keep building good teams for the future when we can build a great team RIGHT NOW!
Vasquez is proven,young and cheap! Rauch is a prospect.....which we supposedly have a million of in our system. Plus he has already had shoulder problems!
We've waited almost 100years!!!!!!..........SCREW THE FUTURE!!!

idseer
01-15-2003, 09:53 PM
SCREW THE FUTURE!!!

yet another candidate for this year's slogan.

Tragg
01-15-2003, 10:05 PM

Whattdathink??

Naaah - then we'll need a left fielder in addition to the center fielder we need today.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-15-2003, 10:15 PM
I like your attitude of not being satisfied with the playoffs, but I would be comfortable with Garland, Wright and Rausch at the bottom of the order. Let's not forget, there are a few decent FA available (Jeff Suppan) who could fill in at the bottom of the order and cost the Sox nothing. Garland is a very capable #3.

jeremyb1
01-16-2003, 12:46 AM
If we are only going to have Colon for a year (which I think we will re-sign anyway) then that supports my idea of going for it all right now!
Why try to just keep building good teams for the future when we can build a great team RIGHT NOW!
Vasquez is proven,young and cheap! Rauch is a prospect.....which we supposedly have a million of in our system. Plus he has already had shoulder problems!
We've waited almost 100years!!!!!!..........SCREW THE FUTURE!!!

we don't have any as good as rauch. he's our best since...alex fernandez? mcdowell? i don't know. our best in the last decade lets say. trading him for vazquez would be foolish. garland is a solid three. vazquez is a free agent in two years. there's no way he guarantees us a world series. if he repeats last years season in the al, you have numbers prett close to what garland put up. he probably wouldn't struggle but he could and then we'd be done after this year.

the problem with giving up on the future to go for it for one year is that you might not win. its especially risky to take that approach before the season begins. we still have a good chance to win in '04, '05, '06 and so on even if colon leaves because we have outstanding young players. think about how long its been since we've won a series? do you really want to gamble not having a chance for the next 5 or more years just to try to win it all this season?

oldcomiskey
01-16-2003, 02:08 PM
have you guys looked at the 40 man roster lately--Im sure I founf it on ESPN-we cant trade C Lee because we only have 4 outfielders on the 40 man roster

Randar68
01-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
have you guys looked at the 40 man roster lately--Im sure I founf it on ESPN-we cant trade C Lee because we only have 4 outfielders on the 40 man roster

We just added Rios.

hold2dibber
01-16-2003, 02:25 PM

Whattdathink??

I believe this deal would actually add payroll for the Expos (I think Lee will make $4.5 million this year whereas Vazquez will earn about $3.5 million), so I'm not certain that they'd even be able to do it from a payroll perspective. In addition to that, I think Lee and Rauch would be way too much to give up for Vazquez. I would probably do Rauch and another prospect for Vazquez, but I'm not even sure about that. Vazquez is a very good pitcher. I think Rauch has the potential to be better.

34 Inch Stick
01-16-2003, 02:56 PM
IT, what is IT?

Lip Man 1
01-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Jeremy says:

we still have a good chance to win in '04, '05, '06 and so on even if colon leaves because we have outstanding young players.

Yea that's just what was said after the 94 strike, after the White Flag Deal and last year.

In the meantime the numbers say:

43 years since a World Series appearance

84 years since a World Series Champ

But Jeremy wants to keep on being "patient."

LOL

Lip

jeremyb1
01-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy says:

we still have a good chance to win in '04, '05, '06 and so on even if colon leaves because we have outstanding young players.

Yea that's just what was said after the 94 strike, after the White Flag Deal and last year.

In the meantime the numbers say:

43 years since a World Series appearance

84 years since a World Series Champ

But Jeremy wants to keep on being "patient."

LOL

our young talent isn't any good and isn't going anywhere but now that we added one starting pitcher we're a player or two away from winning the world series? you can't have it both ways lip. either our young talent isn't any good and player like rauch, garland, wright, jiminez, crede, munoz, etc. won't get us very far or they are good enough that we're at at least 90 wins already and therefore if we make a few more moves we'll be a lock to win 100 games and go far into the playoffs. we can't add three above average starters to the rotation at this point. either the kids can pitch or they can't. if they can't we're not going anywhere. i think they can and will only get better.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Jeremy says:

We can't add three above average starters to the rotation at this point.

The Sox don't have to. It's enough of a gamble with Garland at #3 and Wright at #4. Go out and sign a Suppan or Helling (whom I really would like) and let them go to work.

If they don't do well, it's a short term, incentive laden deal and you can always put Rauch in the rotation AFTER you've given them a chance.

Too much now is at stake to have a repeat of 1996 when the Sox blew an almost "sure" post season berth because the 5th starters that year were a horrid 5-18. They were untried kids primarily (i.e. Sirotka, Keyser, Bertotti...)

Lip

siugrad25
01-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Lip, good post. Nothing's certain after Colon/Buehrle or Buehrle/Colon. I think Garland's getting stronger and let's hope Rauch is really this time up here. But a 5th starter would be nice, but do I need to worry about CF and someone coming back from an injury or a youngster at catcher?

I would love to have the combination of all the threads. I need to see a World Series in Chicago before I leave this planet and "Screw the Future" wouldn't be such a bad slogan considering all the past gaffs from the PR department. "It's Time" was my favorite.

But why not go for it... That should be our attitude all the time. The No. 5 starter wouldn't cost too much and who said we couldn't get an Ivan Rodriguez or a player that could help us to the next step.

There are still too many teams that I worry about and I just worry that past 2003 we might need to rebuild -- again.

I call this cautious optimism.

DirtySouthsider
01-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey 34inchstick.........If you don't know what IT refers to then you've got a lot to learn!