PDA

View Full Version : Let's not get to excited

moochpuppy
01-15-2003, 02:18 PM
The trade for Colon is nice and all, but for God's sake people, he's no Shawn Estes.

Iwritecode
01-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
The trade for Colon is nice and all, but for God's sake people, he's no Shawn Estes.

Or Mike Remlinger for that matter.

bc2k
01-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Looks like plan A was a success after all. I'm still shocked at the timing of this trade. I thought we missed the boat when we walked away from the Winter Meetings emptyhanded. We watched the Glavines and Moyers sign, expecting the Sox to pick up sloppy seconds-type starters.

Think back to all of our theories about what it would take to obtain a #1 or #2. We thought it would take a current starting player - if not a Wright or Garland, then a Lee or Crede. To only give up a bench player, a guy fighting for the #5 spot in the rotation, and our fourth-best bullpen guy, is amazing. I love this trade since Gordon replaces Osuna and Rauch takes the 5 spot, we only lose Jeff Liefer to obtain Bartolo Colon. And we get a decent minor league infielder as well!

Some of us worried that trading a Wright or Garland for a #2 doesn't benefit us much since it still leaves a starters spot to fill. Well, KW didn't trade any of our starting pitchers so this only makes us deeper and a much better trade.

The only downside is that this is Bartolo's last year on his contract. That can also be a good thing since he knows that if he wants to maximize his next contract, he'll have to have a good 2003. A 2003 that is in a White Sox uniform.

mike squires
01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Kenny Williams may get the loudest ovation at Soxfest this year. He will definatly be eating that up. This definatly makes up for the Ritchie deal. I forgive him.

HawkDJ
01-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Kenny Williams may get the loudest ovation at Soxfest this year. He will definatly be eating that up. This definatly makes up for the Ritchie deal. I forgive him.

I still don't think it makes up for it, but its close. Imagine this rotation.

Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Wells
Wright/Rauch/Fogg

Randar68
01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I still don't think it makes up for it, but its close. Imagine this rotation.

Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Wells
Wright/Rauch/Fogg

I'm sorry, but I'll take our rotation of:

Buehrle
Colon
Garland
Wright
Rauch

over any rotation with Kip Wells or Josh Fogg in it 7 days a week. They would NEVER have put those numbers up for us and look at their post All-star break numbers. Let alone the fact that they were in the NL not AL.