PDA

View Full Version : Sox Need One More Starter

hold2dibber
01-15-2003, 11:51 AM
I love the Colon trade, but by moving Biddle in the deal, I still think the Sox need one more starter. Right now, the rotation is:

Buehrle
Colon
Garland
Wright
Rauch

There is still no back-up plan if someone gets hurt or if Garland, Wright or Rauch doesn't get the job done. The Sox need another starter to either be a bullpen/swing guy, or they need someone who will compete with Rauch for the 5th slot. I still would love to see the Sox pick up Ismael Valdes or Jeff Suppan, but I'm guessing with the added payroll from the Colon deal, they won't do that. Any other ideas for someone out there who might be a diamond in the rough and would take a minor league deal or a deal contingent upon making the team?

ozzman
01-15-2003, 11:56 AM
is finley off the market yet?

CHISOXFAN13
01-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Anyone of the remaining free agents (Suppan, Valdes, Finley) would be a good No. 4 or 5. However, I'm pretty happy with this offseason regardless.

I'd really like to see us add Orlando Palmeiro.

hold2dibber
01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Anyone of the remaining free agents (Suppan, Valdes, Finley) would be a good No. 4 or 5. However, I'm pretty happy with this offseason regardless.

I'd really like to see us add Orlando Palmeiro.

That's right - the Sox also now need a back-up OF with Liefer gone. I suppose Harris might fit that bill, but I think he'd be better off in AAA getting ABs. Palmeiro would be a good pick up.

34 Inch Stick
01-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Now Kenny can wait it out and see which of the FA pitchers is desperate come spring training. It has to be a guy who has no problem coming out of the bullpen. I don't want anyone taking innings from Rauch if he does as well this year as I expect. In my opinion the weak link in the rotation right now is Wright. Not a bad weak link.

Meatpants
01-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Assuming they spend a couple million on Gordon, I imagine KWill's done for this offseason. Not sure what the payroll is at this point, but doubtful they'll add another $4-6 million for another starter.

soxtalker
01-15-2003, 12:26 PM
I'd prefer that KW sit pat for now. He's got a bunch of young pitchers who need to have their shot. If that doesn't work out, he can always make a deal toward the end of spring training or even during the season.

cornball
01-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Now Kenny can wait it out and see which of the FA pitchers is desperate come spring training. It has to be a guy who has no problem coming out of the bullpen. I don't want anyone taking innings from Rauch if he does as well this year as I expect. In my opinion the weak link in the rotation right now is Wright. Not a bad weak link.

I agree!!!!

Compliment the team with free agents.