PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Our Opening Day Starter?

34 Inch Stick
01-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Now isn't this a much better argument than whether Jeff Suppan or Rocky Biddle is our 5th Starter.

I am giddy right now.

For the record, I say Colon starts and is a better pitcher at this point in his career than Buhrle. This works even to change the style of pitching on a daily basis. Colon, fastball...Buhrle, off speed....Wright, fastball....Garland, breaking... and now Rauch gets to develop as a 5th with very little pressure. I have too much excitement to think clearly right now.

Dadawg_77
01-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Now isn't this a much better argument than whether Jeff Suppan or Rocky Biddle is our 5th Starter.

I am giddy right now.

For the record, I say Colon starts and is a better pitcher at this point in his career than Buhrle. This works even to change the style of pitching on a daily basis. Colon, fastball...Buhrle, off speed....Wright, fastball....Garland, breaking... and now Rauch gets to develop as a 5th with very little pressure. I have too much excitement to think clearly right now.

It doesn't matter in reality, probally who ever between Buhrle and Colon has a more fragile ego gets the opening day start.

34 Inch Stick
01-15-2003, 11:53 AM
I know, I know. Isn't it great that it doesn't matter...that we feel equally strong with either of them starting off the season. I just wanted to highlight how a win/win argument would be great on this board.

Move over Jose v. Clayton, here comes Colon v. Buhrle!

HawkDJ
01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Colon. He won more games and is a veteran. Easy choice for me anyways.

jeremyb1
01-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

I am giddy right now.

buehrle. he's by far the better pitcher. in his two full seasons he's easily had eras better than colon's era. you can't just go by last season when the two players have had 2 and 6 seasons in the majors. plus buehrle is the guy we need to please more. there's no way we'll sign colon.

SouthSideHitman
01-15-2003, 03:09 PM
I'd say that Buehrle gets the nod because he has been with the team longest and hopefully it will convince him that the Sox really do love him so he'll re-sign. Then again, maybe we want Bartolo will re-sign too. This trade will be an unmitigated success (knock on wood) but it will mean the end of a lot of threads here at WSI. :) :)

Iguana775
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
burly will. JM is a loyal guy and will be loyal to burly and his success he has had the last 2 years.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
burly will. JM is a loyal guy and will be loyal to burly and his success he has had the last 2 years.

he might tinker . oh boy

kevingrt
01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
You have to start Buerhle on opening day. He was one of the only guys on the team last year to be consistently good, and to my knowledge the 1st 20 game winner for the Sox since BlackJack McDowell. Yeah Colon might be better with more talent, but Colon hasn't proved anything for us, and I feel that we should stay loyal to players on the team rather then newcomers.

But yes, JM loves his tinkering!

Saracen
01-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Buehrle didn't win 20 games though.

duke of dorwood
01-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Dont forget, Buehrle stoned them in a contract offer. I think it will be Colon.

bc2k
01-15-2003, 04:33 PM
The best pitcher pitches on opening day; that man is Mark Buehrle.

Say what you want about loyalty and how he's meant more to the Chicago White Sox, but more importantly, Buerhle owns Bartolo.

doublem23
01-15-2003, 04:39 PM
See who's pitching better out of Spring Training.

voodoochile
01-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Dont forget, Buehrle stoned them in a contract offer. I think it will be Colon.

Don't be surprised if this factors into it. KW might push JM to start BC because it looks good in contract negotiations and arbitration time.

Personally I go with MB out of loyalty, but I think the contract stuff will factor into any decision...

kermittheefrog
01-15-2003, 04:55 PM
I'd say it should be Buehrle. Rotation order doesn't really make a difference and they are pretty equal as far as effectiveness. So I think it comes down to the fact that Buehrle has been with the team longer.

gosox3072
01-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Mark Buerlhe is our ace he starts on opening day

ma-gaga
01-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Has to be Buhrle.

Unless Colon signs a nice 4 year $50MM extension... Then Colon.

sox_fan_forever
01-15-2003, 05:19 PM
I think it should be Buehrle

SoxFan4Ever
01-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Who cares which one starts on Opening Day. The potential of two twenty game winners is the best thing to happen to the Sox since 1994. We should all be thrilled about this deal.

Unregistered
01-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Direct quote from Buerhle in the Trib:
Buehrle was ecstatic after returning from a hunting trip Wednesday and discovering he no longer was the team's indisputable ace.

"Go ahead and stick him in as the No. 1," Buehrle said. "I've always said I don't care about being the ace. I'm just one of five starters. I couldn't care less if I don't start the opener. I'll do whatever it takes to help us win. I see him as our No. 1 guy, and if I get thrown in at No. 2, 3 or 4, I really don't care."
Great attitude to have. Looks like everyone is pumped about this one...

Twins8791
01-16-2003, 02:32 AM
You forgot who the manager is.
Your opening day pitcher - Frank Thomas!

Iguana775
01-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Direct quote from Buerhle in the Trib:
Great attitude to have. Looks like everyone is pumped about this one...

yea, now KW needs to just sign both of them to multi year deals, NOW!!