PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Javier Vasquéz?

Viva Magglio
01-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Prior to this reported Bartólo Colón acquisition, which I think is a positive one, the popular sentiment here was to acquire Javier Vasquéz instead. Now that it appears Vasquéz will not be coming here (What do we have now, after getting Colón, to get Vasquéz?), let's just hope Montreal doesn't trade Vasquéz to a team that could hurt us with him.

hold2dibber
01-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
Prior to this reported Bartólo Colón acquisition, which I think is a positive one, the popular sentiment here was to acquire Javier Vasquéz instead. Now that it appears Vasquéz will not be coming here (What do we have now, after getting Colón, to get Vasquéz?), let's just hope Montreal doesn't trade Vasquéz to a team that could hurt us with him.

I don't think they'll deal Vazquez now. They were ordered to chop off $10 million in payroll. Dealing Colon saves them $8.25 million. They only need to deal Michael Barrett (their catcher) to get to the $10 million mark (assuming they're not taking on any $ in the Colon trade). I think Minaya still views the Expos as possible wild card contenders; I'm sure he wants to keep Vazquez if at all possible.

pearso66
01-15-2003, 10:30 AM
actually, in aquiring Orlando Hernandez, they are taking on salary. I believe he is making at least 4 mil, but I could be wrong

Dadawg_77
01-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Since El Duqe is flowing though Chicago, the Sox may be taking on some of his salary for the Expos.