PDA

View Full Version : Kenny, YOU DID IT!

CHISOXFAN13
01-15-2003, 10:42 AM
We dump Liefer and don't give up any of the pitchers that appear to be an intergral part of our success. Is this to good to be true???

hold2dibber
01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
We dump Liefer and don't give up any of the pitchers that appear to be an intergral part of our success. Is this to good to be true???

If the Sox actually get Bartolo Colon for Jeff Liefer and Antonio Osuna, I'm going to crap myself.

And if, as the Trib reported, the Sox are about to sign Flash Gordon (who is a suitable replacement for Osuna), we've essentially dealt Liefer for Colon. Unbelievable.

lowesox
01-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Actually, I think Biddle is the only real thing we gave up.

Kenny Williams? I can't believe it. I'm going to have to take back some of the things I've said. This is a good day for WhiteSox fans. We're a legit WS contender now!!!!!

I wonder how much cash we sent?

Blueprint1
01-15-2003, 12:26 PM
WOW!!!!! when i saw the article i was like oh no i clicked and boom!!! Antonio Osuna, Rocky Biddle, Jeff Leifer. I don't know anything about Delaris Lantigua does anyone here? How about Jorge Nunez? Right now this deal is looking pretty good. The sox for the first time in a long time have a #1 and a #2 starter. I nope that Colon's weight is not going to be an issue but i guess he has been fat for a long time.

CHISOXFAN13
I don't think we sent any money. The Yankees sent us money, and in return, I believe we sent that money to Montreal.

cornball
Congrats to Kenny Williams!!!!

Like him or not ...he has guts, and I love the deal.

Foulke You
01-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Actually, I think Biddle is the only real thing we gave up.

Kenny Williams? I can't believe it. I'm going to have to take back some of the things I've said. This is a good day for WhiteSox fans. We're a legit WS contender now!!!!!

I wonder how much cash we sent?

Congrats to KW. This may be the defining trade of his less than impressive career so far. I'm excited. However, I don't know if we're a WS contender but it definitely boosts our division title hopes for sure. I almost drove off the road this morning when I heard the news. This made my day.

Sad
01-15-2003, 12:37 PM
WOO HOO!!!!

Im fired up! :)
this guy is a horse!

Kenny cutting this deal assisted me in making my Sox-7 decision... (if it wasnt a 2-hour drive I'd go more often)

gonna try & make opening day for the first time in my 25 years as a SOX fan

Welcome Bartolo!

hempsox
01-15-2003, 12:45 PM
WooHoo,
For the first time I can now tell my Scrubby fan co-horkers where they can stick their Wood.
Go Sox!!!

sox_fan_forever
01-15-2003, 12:52 PM
I haven't been this happy baseball wise in a very long time...wooohooo!!!!

:)

chisox06
01-15-2003, 12:54 PM
I cant believe I'm gonna say this but GREAT TRADE BY KW! I can smell the playoffs again!

Brian26
01-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Unbelievable trade. Kudos to Kenny.

lowesox
01-15-2003, 01:10 PM
4 pitchers with 10+ wins. And a really good bullpen. Not to mention an offence that includes Maggs, Thomas, Konerko, Lee (and I think Crede is going to be really good).

There's no question this is now a world series contending team.

Lip Man 1
01-15-2003, 01:11 PM
A few points...

To all of you who are saying that you are now going to get into the partial season ticket plan or go to more games etc.

When you contact the Sox for tickets or whatever MAKE SURE, you let them know that you are doing it SPECIFICALLY because the Sox went out and spent money getting Colon. Let the organization know that when they try to actually win , that you have more desire to support them and spend YOUR money!

For that matter you can write or e-mail the Sox the same thing.

Now to the trade itself.

Keep in mind Colon will not be here after this season, this is rent - a - player Part III (after Veeck's Part I...Zisk, Gamble and Part II...Bobby Bonds!) so it better work!

Still this was something the Sox HAD to try to do.

Lip

soxrme
01-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Good trade for us, we should probably thank the Yankees for this. I am sure they did not want the red sox to get Colon. I will not miss Biddle at all and Leiffer was probably not going to help us anyway. The unfortunate thing, as has been pointed out, is that Colon will probably only be here for one year.

Bobby Thigpen
01-15-2003, 02:02 PM
As difficult as it may be to commend KW, it must be done. GREAT JOB on this trade. We gave up absolutely no one, except Biddle, but Colon for one year is far more valuable than Biddle for many . I would have much rather had Vasquez (younger arm, more years on contract), but this is an encouraging sign. Along with the other deals that seem to be going on, it appears the Sox may actually be trying to win something.

Hangar18
01-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few points...

To all of you who are saying that you are now going to get into the partial season ticket plan or go to more games:

When you contact the Sox for tickets or whatever MAKE SURE, you let them know that you are doing it SPECIFICALLY because the Sox went out and spent money getting Colon. Let the organization know that when they try to actually win , that you have more desire to support them and spend YOUR money!

For that matter you can write or e-mail the Sox the same thing.

Lip

LIP, this is an EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT
EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT point.

now...if we could get 1 more pitcher....and do something about
that horrible stadium......and tear down the new "porch" in RF....

soxtalker
01-15-2003, 02:22 PM
I have not at all been a fan of KW. In fact, I still don't care for a GM that has spies in the locker room and throws tables around. And I didn't like the Richie trade from the start. However, at first glance, this trade does look good.

We don't know what the cost is in dollars, and that will impact the amount that can be spent later -- not to mention ticket prices. But we can probably assume that JR and KW are watching that closely.

I also haven't seen much about the minor league players involved, though it doesn't sound like any were of "can't miss" status.

Moving Liefer may have been one of the better parts of this deal. I don't share the intense dislike that some posters have expressed. However, it was clear that he didn't fit into the Sox plan as a full-time player, and that meant that he wasn't going to be happy.

Lip Man 1
01-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Hangar 18 :

Check your WSI e-mail!

Lip

HawkDJ
01-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Hopefully they can make a XXXL jersey quick. He was reported at 270 pounds. 35 pounds higher than his listed weight. :o:

Unregistered
01-15-2003, 03:46 PM
This is the graphic at the top of the ESPN MLB page... it seems almost out of place that anything sox related is so prominent on the front page... sad that it's been so long since we were newsworthy...

nut_stock
01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
From what I read we sent 2 million dollars to Montreal. However, it was the same 2 million that the Yankees gave us to take El Duque (whom we then gave to Montreal as well)

idseer
01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Keep in mind Colon will not be here after this season, this is rent - a - player Part III (after Veeck's Part I...Zisk, Gamble and Part II...Bobby Bonds!) so it better work!

Lip

you're probably right about the rental ... but it doesn't bother me too much.
first, you know BC is going to try and have his best year so come contract time he's holding the cards.
second, this will give rauch, garland, and wright another year to develop and i have to believe they'll be ready come '04 to be much more impactful. also the pressure won't be as hard on them as it would have been without this new addition.
this is truly a great looking trade anyway you look at it!