PDA

View Full Version : According to Jayson Stark

CHISOXFAN13
01-14-2003, 10:08 PM
The Expos are shopping both Vazquez and Colon and a deal involving one or the other could go down as early as tomorrow.

The three teams still talking with Montreal are..... Boston, the Yankees and our Chicago White Sox.

Fingers are crossed.

OEO Magglio
01-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I was just about to post this, I have my fingers crossed too, I doubt the Yankees will get either one, I really think it comes down between the chisox and bosox, but I still think it's to good to be true to think the whitesox would get either vazquez or Colon, but I have hope.

PLEASE KW GET COLON OR VAZQUEZ!!!!!!!!

Pete_SSAC
01-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Is it sad that this news will keep me up all night?

- Pete

OEO Magglio
01-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Is it sad that this news will keep me up all night?

That's exactly what's going to happen to me, and I have finals tomorrow, I'M SCREWED, o well, if the Sox trade for one of them it's worth the sleepless night.

CHISOXFAN13
01-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Make that three of us. I swear since thse trade talks have begun, I've lived on this site!!

pearso66
01-14-2003, 10:53 PM
It would be nice to get one of these guys, or both for that matter, but I don't want to give up everything for them, as someone was stating in another post, give up Stewert, Rauch and Konerko for Tatis and Vasques, that would be stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see us trade for one of these guys, or both, but I don't want to give up too much. As long as we dont give up Crede, Konerko, Maggs, Buerhle, or Borchard, I will be happy, of course not if they give up like 10 people

SoxxoS
01-14-2003, 11:16 PM
If we are talking both pitchers (Colon and Vazquez) I think this package would get them:

Malone, Stewart, Ginter, Hummel, West, Rogowski.

Something along those lines. Don't forget, Minaya doesn't have nearly the bargaining power he once had. If it is between the Bo Sox and us, I think the deal above is better than the Hillebrand/Fossom deal by a long shot. However, I dont know-does Minaya want young players that can play now, or just good prospects? With this proposal, we wouldn't be giving up any of our "key" guys - Crede, Borchard, Honel, Garland, Wright, Rauch and Webster. I figure Ginter and Stewart and Hummel can be thrown into the fray right away. Plus although losing Ginter would hurt the bullpen a little, we can actually stick Rauch or Wright into his role.

I couldn't imagine this rotation-
Buerhle, Colon, Vazquez, Garland and Wright/Rauch? Are you kidding me?

But you have to give to get something....and we know KW...

Lip Man 1
01-14-2003, 11:24 PM
It is absolutely mind boggling that the Yankees who already have EIGHT starting pitchers would be in the running for this.

The only possible reason that I can think of is to prevent the Red Sox from getting anybody.

Wow, what an organization! (and I say that in admiration) As an example can you imagine the Sox doing something like this to prevent the Twins for getting help?

I guess in a worst case scenario if the Yanks get them they HAVE to put on the market two or three of their pitchers. It may still be possible for the Sox to get some help albeit from a different source.

We'll see if Kenny has a Plan D ready to go.

Lip

Unregistered
01-14-2003, 11:30 PM
From Ronald Blum AP Sports Writer
"New York is still in discussions with Montreal about acquiring Bartolo Colon from the Expos, but Hernandez and/or Hitchcock probably would go to the Expos as part of a trade. The Yankees spent Tuesday exploring three-way trades with Montreal, with some proposals involving Florida and some the Chicago White Sox."

Maybe KW is even doing something with the surplus of Yankee pitchers... or maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

dugwood31
01-15-2003, 01:34 AM
The NY Times has a story saying that NY sends Orlando Hernandez to Montreal, who sends Colon the Sox, who send 2 minor leaguers to NY and cash to Montreal.

Sounds good to me!

dugwood31
01-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Oh, they said that the deal is pretty much a sure thing, and could be done on Wednesday.

jeremyb1
01-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by dugwood31
The NY Times has a story saying that NY sends Orlando Hernandez to Montreal, who sends Colon the Sox, who send 2 minor leaguers to NY and cash to Montreal.

Sounds good to me!

if the two minor leaguers we're dealing would be only for hernandez that wouldn't be much at all. sounds too good to be true personally. also, i'd rather have vazquez over colon but that may not happen.

Chisox_cali
01-15-2003, 01:45 AM

Sounds good to me!

Hmm can we get Vazquez and Weaver too? :D:

WinningUgly!
01-15-2003, 01:45 AM

Sounds good to me!

The Yankees inched closer to trading Orlando Hernández to the Montreal Expos as part of a three-way deal involving Bartolo Colón last night. But they would not be receiving the prized Colón in return.

Instead, the Expos would trade Colón to the Chicago White Sox, who would send Montreal at least one player and an unspecified amount of cash to help offset Hernández's salary. The Yankees would receive two minor leaguers from the White Sox to complete the trade.
Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/sports/baseball/15TRAD.html)

Sounds like we're giving up 3 guys.

Chisox_cali
01-15-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/sports/baseball/15TRAD.html)

You have to sign up to see the article. Dag Nab It! :angry:

dugwood31
01-15-2003, 02:02 AM
In my haste to find confirmation somewhere else (I couldn't) I missed the third guy.

And sign up for the NYTimes is free.

I still can't imagine this being a trade I wouldn't make myself, assuming Colon is healthy. That's 39 wins in the top 2 spots in the rotation -- on bad to mediocre teams. And we'll all feel alot better with Garland-Wright at 3-4 instead of 2-3.

Pete_SSAC
01-15-2003, 02:23 AM
I really wish I didn't read these reports, because now I KNOW i can't get any sleep.

And to tell you the truth, not surprised, because I figured Boston was out of it, and the Yankees need another Picter like i need... umm.. something. Anyway, so, I had a feeling of a 3 team deal.

So.. yeah.

- Pete, can't sleep, GM will eat me...

Iwritecode
01-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I wonder who the 3 guys will be? Who in the world do the Sox have in the minors that the Yankees would want? I would assume a couple of mid to high level pitching prospects.

As far as who gets sent to Montreal, I'll put my money on Jeff Leifer. IIRC, they were looking to get a first baseman for Colon.

Soxheads
01-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Wow, this thread is full of stuff that actually happened.