PDA

View Full Version : Vazquez "more likely than" Colon

joecrede
01-14-2003, 05:23 PM
For what it's worth, just heard George Offman on the SCORE citing sources saying a deal for the Sox involving Vazquez is more likely than one for Colon.

OfficerKarkovice
01-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
For what it's worth, just heard George Offman on the SCORE citing sources saying a deal for the Sox involving Vazquez is more likely than one for Colon.

Oh I really, REALLY hope so. Vazquez is going to be a stud.

hold2dibber
01-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

I really like the sound of that. Although I like Colon a lot, Vazquez is damn good, younger, in better shape and under contract for more than just one year. But I still think that if the Expos are going to deal Vazquez, they're going to want the taker to take Tatis as well (since just dealing Vazquez isn't nearly enough to get them down to the MLB-imposed budget).

Now I'm going to stand in a corner and repeat to myself: "Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up. . ."

Pete_SSAC
01-14-2003, 05:38 PM
I would perfer Vazquez over Colon since I feel that we cna get him cheaper, plus, I have a feeling Colon will blow out soon.

- Pete

OEO Magglio
01-14-2003, 09:31 PM

And I think he's going to be one this year.

Viva Magglio
01-14-2003, 09:45 PM
You know, I would rather forget Colon and just pursue Vasquez.

SoxxoS
01-14-2003, 09:45 PM
A) How much is Javier Vazquez scheduled to make next season?
B) Does anyone think there is going to be a third team involved in this trade?

I can't see Prof. Chaos taking on Tatis. Not with Crede already here. Maybe last year at this time he would of, but not now. So the 25 million dollar question is...

Can Prof Chaos actually acquire a pitcher like Vazquez in a coup?
Is it possible that Prof Chaos might actually rip another general manager off, while filling a void on the team and staying under payroll?

Find out...Same bat time, same bat channel.

AP - The Sox just acquired Javier Vazquez, for Josh Stewart, Aaron Miles and Josh Paul. Following that he was signed to a long term deal.

duke of dorwood
01-14-2003, 10:27 PM
We have young players to trade, it shouldnt be this difficult.

lowesox
01-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
I would perfer Vazquez over Colon since I feel that we cna get him cheaper, plus, I have a feeling Colon will blow out soon.

- Pete

I'd rather have Vasquez too, although I think Colon is perfectly healthy. He has a huge lower half that, while it makes him look vaguely like a horse, would took a lot of stress away from his arm. But as far as I'm concerned he'll always be an indian, and I don't like about him.

Vazquez, on the other hand looks like he's getting better. I think it might be a good move for the Sox to involve Konerko, or Lee in the trade and take Tatis.

How about: Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Paul Konerko for Tatis and Vazquez?

jeremyb1
01-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

that's definately VERY good news. i feel that vazquez is better than colon across the board. he's younger, has more time left on his deal, is less expensive, will cost fewer players, and so on. perhaps best of all, since vazquez if anything probably underachieved last season while colon most likely overachieved, we stand to do much better in any deal. i'd much rather deal for vazquez' near 4 era than colon's 2.9 era. i think we'll come out much better if we go for vazquez, especially if jr could somehow be convinced to eat a year of tatis' salary.

Unregistered
01-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
How about: Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Paul Konerko for Tatis and Vazquez? Worst. Trade. Ever. We give them Rauch (#4 in our rotation), Stewart (possibly our #5) and Konerko, our starting first baseman and We take Tatis off of the Expos' hands all for Vazquez?? Talk about getting hustled...

michigan84
01-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I don't really think Vazquez is that great. He may have potential, but he hasn't really shown it. He had an ERA of almost 4 last year in the NL, that would translate to a lot higher ERA in the AL, except maybe in this division :)

Daver
01-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Worst. Trade. Ever. We give them Rauch (#4 in our rotation), Stewart (possibly our #5) and Konerko, our starting first baseman and We take Tatis off of the Expos' hands all for Vazquez?? Talk about getting hustled...

Stewart is at least a year away from being on an MLB roster.

That is a terrible trade though.

Pete_SSAC
01-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Paul Konerko for Tatis and Vazquez?

In the immortal words of Dr. Evil...

"Howabout NO, Scott?"

- Pete

OEO Magglio
01-14-2003, 11:18 PM
How about : Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Paul Konerko for Tatis and Vazquez?

That would be worse then the Ritchie deal.

Tragg
01-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Younger, cheaper to pay and cheaper to get, n'est ce pas?

Expos will catch hell if they trade colon for less than they paid for him; as they overpaid for him, I doubt anyoe will pay what they paid (well, almost everyone). So perhaps we hve a better chance of getting vasquez for less.

delben91
01-14-2003, 11:24 PM

How about: Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Paul Konerko for Tatis and Vazquez?

I think we could offer to buy all the unpurchased tickets for all the Expos home games too.

However, getting Vazquez would be sweet assuming KW keeps himself in check with the bargaining.

I am now going to pretend I never read this so as to aid in keeping my hopes to a minimum.

jeremyb1
01-15-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by michigan84
I don't really think Vazquez is that great. He may have potential, but he hasn't really shown it. He had an ERA of almost 4 last year in the NL, that would translate to a lot higher ERA in the AL, except maybe in this division :)

that's if you only go by last year's stats. he had a 3.42 era in '01 including a 1.60 era in the second half and he's still just 26. his strikeout rates are very impressive also, he's struck out nearly 200 batters per season each of the last three seasons. i'd put good money on him to have a season as good or better than colon next season.

michigan84
01-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
that's if you only go by last year's stats. he had a 3.42 era in '01 including a 1.60 era in the second half and he's still just 26. his strikeout rates are very impressive also, he's struck out nearly 200 batters per season each of the last three seasons. i'd put good money on him to have a season as good or better than colon next season.

Maybe, but the 5 or 6 times I saw him pitch last year, I was just not impressed. I had heard he was great, but he never showed it in the games I watched. He really cemented my opinion when he gave up 6 runs (2 HR) in 5 innings to the Tigers in Comerica Park. That's not really my definition of an ace!