PDA

View Full Version : Munoz mentioned...

DrCrawdad
01-13-2003, 07:48 PM
By Phil Rogers

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565200.jpg
Mr. December: And finally, a weekly update on White Sox phenom Arnaldo Munoz. The 5-foo-9-inch lefty with the nasty curveball picked up saves in his first three playoff outings for Aguilas, striking out nine and allowing only two hits in 4 2/3 scoreless innings.

Munoz ended regular-season play 4-0 with four saves and a league-leading 1.55 earned-run average in 20 appearances. His 74 strikeouts (in only 40 2/3 innings) equaled the most in the Dominican Republic since Jeff Edwards struck out 76 in 1989-90. If his arm holds up, he's going to be some kind of fun to watch at Comiskey Park. Maybe sooner, not later.

:butter
"Hey, I thought I was the Little Lefty?"

Brian26
01-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Where does this leave Wunsch? Is his spot guaranteed? If we have Marte and Munoz on the left side, and Osuna, Koch, and Glover on the right side...

And assuming Biddle is the 4th starter and Rauch is #5...

Who am I leaving out?

Wunsch might be our 11th pitcher.

doublem23
01-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Well, he was only at Birmingham last year, so I really don't think he'll make the team right out of the gate, but if Munoz shows he's as good as he was this winter and Marte shows last year was no fluke, Wunsch may be the odd man out.

However, I'd rather have a bullpen where the top pitchers are taken, and less consideration on the whole righty/lefty matchups.

:jerry
I live for those matchups!

Daver
01-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Where does this leave Wunsch? Is his spot guaranteed? If we have Marte and Munoz on the left side, and Osuna, Koch, and Glover on the right side...

And assuming Biddle is the 4th starter and Rauch is #5...

Who am I leaving out?

Wunsch might be our 11th pitcher.

I really doubt Munoz will make the twenty five man roster out of ST,last years experiment with Rauch kinda showed you don't gain much from rushing pitchers to the big league roster.

delben91
01-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by daver
I really doubt Munoz will make the twenty five man roster out of ST,last years experiment with Rauch kinda showed you don't gain much from rushing pitchers to the big league roster.

You assume of course something was learned from the Rauch experiment last year. However, despite the relative inability of the management to learn from past mistakes, I'd like to think they'd know better than to just give Munoz the spot in ST.

Daver
01-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by delben91
You assume of course something was learned from the Rauch experiment last year. However, despite the relative inability of the management to learn from past mistakes, I'd like to think they'd know better than to just give Munoz the spot in ST.

Actually,it was the Schueler regime that made a habit of rushing pitchers to the Majors,KW rolled the dice on Rauch last year and lost,and sent him down.

jeremyb1
01-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by delben91

the episode with rauch had very little to do with how prepared he was to pitch in the majors and everything to do with his health. most established major league pitchers struggle coming back from arm surgery. rauch was missing about 5 mph on his fastball and didn't have as much break to his pitches because he needed to rebuild his arm strength and shake off the rust after going over a year without pitching competitively.

i wouldn't be shocked at all if munoz skipped aaa. its really not that uncommon and we're talking about a lefty reliever here with great stuff not a finesse righty starter. it depends on the pitcher.