PDA

View Full Version : New Trib columnist

Cheryl
01-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Mike Downey was the subject of the Sport Page in this week's Reader. There was a picture of him weaing a Cubs hat.

doublem23
01-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Figures.

cheeses_h_rice
01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I saw that, and just rolled my eyes.

One picture = 1000 words.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 11:22 AM
In the article, he is quoted saying that a gig at the Trib is the ultimate job, just like "playing centerfield for the Cubs". This seems to contradict the evidence cited by Lip suggesting that Downey was a Sox fan. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16324)

CHISOXFAN13
01-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Take it easy people. I listened to hsi interview with Boers and Bernstein on the Score a few weeks back, and Downey said that he would be spending a majority of his time at Comiskey. The guy is a CHICAGO columnist, which means he has to cover all the teams. And like it or not (and I don't) but the Cubs hat is a little more visible to the rest of the nation/city than a Sox hat.

Besides, we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about columnists and their clothing choices. Let's not start sounding like Cub fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
In the article, he is quoted saying that a gig at the Trib is the ultimate job, just like "playing centerfield for the Cubs". This seems to contradict the evidence cited by Lip suggesting that Downey was a Sox fan. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16324)

I would hold this up as the perfect example of organizational group-think that permeates all large companies, including the Tribune.

Downey's credentials as a Sox Fan are manifest, yet the first thing he needs to do as he starts drawing a paycheck from Mother Cubune is toe the "Ain't Life as A Cubs Fan the Greatest" corporate line.

Nobody seems to take my theory seriously, but there isn't one shred of evidence to suggest Cubune employees aren't subject the same forces of organizational group-think that any other large company must maintain inorder to efficiently get the work done. It's just stupid when they stomp their feet and insist otherwise. Bob Verdi left the joint years ago and he still behaves like his very livelihood depended on being fat, dumb, and stupid to Cubbie group-think.

:shammy
"And guess who is Lord God of Cubbie group-think?"

34 Inch Stick
01-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Give the guy a break. If you go to work for Coke you don't wear your Pepsi gear. Let his work product speak for him.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Give the guy a break. If you go to work for Coke you don't wear your Pepsi gear. Let his work product speak for him.

Well, I agree that we should let his work product speak for him. But I don't think its a great idea for a sports journalist in this town to wear the gear of the teams he covers. In fact, I would think that Tribune sports section employees would want to be particularly sensitive to charges of impartiality in favor of the Cubs since the same company owns both. With that said, we have no idea where the Reader got the picture of Downey wearing a Cubs hat - could be years old, could have been a staged photo for some other purpose, who knows.

Cheryl
01-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm always going to remember seeing that photo if and when I read any of his columns. He's lost credibility with me.

cheeses_h_rice
01-13-2003, 12:33 PM

He's not a salesman; he's a journalist.

Howzabout he wears NO hat and show some impartiality? Sheesh.

Dadawg_77
01-13-2003, 01:05 PM

They would fire you over that.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 01:12 PM

But he doesn't work for the Cubs - he works for the Trib. They're two separate entities, and in the name of the impartiality that we should be able to expect from journalists, he shouldn't be wearing a Cubs hat.

Brian26
01-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Actually, I think the Sox hat is more recognizable than the generic Cubs hat. Not as much as in the early 90's, but you still see Sox hats in music videos and out on the street. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw that generic Cubs hat out in public.

No matter who the Tribune puts in there to cover the Sox beat, they're going to be raked over the coals. It's a no-win situation.

:jeffhardy

Cheryl
01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I thought that moron Greenstein was taking over the Sox beat, and this one's is taking over In the Wake of the News.

pudge
01-13-2003, 02:00 PM
What cracks me up is that Lip made this big deal about the guy being a Sox fan... so what is the story? Is he a Sox fan? Is he a Cubs fan? Did the Trib make him come off as a Cub fan? It makes no sense. I'm a journalism grad and have worked in some areas of the business, and I can't imagine they would make him do that. Maybe though, who knows. It's really disturbing to me, because a journalist should not be showing his alliegence in any way, and to promote the new guy with a freakin' Cubs hat (or ANY Chicago hat, for that matter) is a total joke, and a disgrace to the profession.

voodoochile
01-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Much Ado about nothing...

Is it media bias?
Is it group think?
Is it a bad hair day?
Is his girlfriend a flubbies fan who promised him good things if he wore it?
Is he just schmoozing his boss?
Did a coworker stuff it on his head right before the shot was taken?
Will I win the lotto this week?

OHMIGAWD A SOX REPORTER IN A FLUBBIES HAT!!! RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY.

Can we at least wait until the guy writes a couple of Moron style columns before declaring him the enemy?

cheeses_h_rice
01-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Much Ado about nothing...

Is it media bias?
Is it group think?
Is it a bad hair day?
Is his girlfriend a flubbies fan who promised him good things if he wore it?
Is he just schmoozing his boss?
Did a coworker stuff it on his head right before the shot was taken?
Will I win the lotto this week?

OHMIGAWD A SOX REPORTER IN A FLUBBIES HAT!!! RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY.

Can we at least wait until the guy writes a couple of Moron style columns before declaring him the enemy?

VC, it's January 13. The Sox haven't done squat in the offseason. We're starving for stuff to talk about, obviously.

I call this the message board equivalent to kicking around a ball of duct tape.

Kick...pat...BAM!

:)

Nellie_Fox
01-13-2003, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised the picture didn't show him carrying Sammy's luggage.

voodoochile
01-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
VC, it's January 13. The Sox haven't done squat in the offseason. We're starving for stuff to talk about, obviously.

I call this the message board equivalent to kicking around a ball of duct tape.

Kick...pat...BAM!

:)

I hear you. I am just tired of the victim mentality that overhangs this whole franchise, from JR-blame the fans, KW-blame the players, JM-can't get good help, so he tinkers endlessly with mediocre parts - essentially blaming KW and the players simultaneously, Fans - blame the media and (rightfully) the ownership.

:iron
"Sometimes a flubs hat is just a flubs hat..."

:moron
"Sometimes a cat is just a wig... er I mean a cat..."

:fluffy
"meow..."

:chimp
"A zinger is a zinger, even if it doesn't leave the park..."

:reinsy
"A sucker is born every minute..."

:ohno
"Why are you looking at me?"

PaleHoseGeorge
01-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

CS.com: Cubs or Sox fan?

Downey: Only marginally a Sox fan I would say because I'm from the South Suburbs. So I probably saw 10 or 15 games at Comiskey Park before I even knew there was a North Side. As a kid I thought there was the South Side of Chicago and then Wisconsin. I knew the Cubs were in between somewhere. As I got older I became infatuated by the Cubs, not like most Chicagoans but people from around the country. So by the time 1984 rolled along -- and I was in Detroit where the Tigers were about to win the World Series -- I couldn't keep one eye off the Cubs who looked as if they were going to play the Tigers in the '84 World Series. And I said, "I've been waiting all my life for the Cubs or White Sox to be in the World Series." I'm still waiting.

Well Voodoo, what do you think now? His first column won't be published for another week, but he sure isn't wasting any time diving into the deep end of the pool, is he? He's in waaaaay over his head.

Welcome to Chicago, stupid. It's not L.A. and it sure ain't Detroit, either.

Brian26
01-13-2003, 08:34 PM
There's only one type of person I hate more than a Cubs fan...

Someone who roots for *both* teams.

"I'm only marginally a Sox fan".

Ugh.

:wills

And we get these DRILLRODS that call up here...

Lip Man 1
01-13-2003, 11:04 PM
For what it's worth I have already asked Bob Vanderberg if he would forward an e-mail to Mike.

The e-mail explains what I have heard and seen. It explains who and what WSI is and that a number of Sox fans feel that Downey's credibility had already been destroyed.

I also offered my personal feeling that I was surprised that Mike would openly come out and say what he said and allow himself to be photographed wearing a Cubs hat. I mentioned that he would have to know it would piss off a segment of the Tribune's readers.

Nothing wrong with being a Cub fan but if you're in the media that's something you have to keep to yourself (or for that matter being a Sox fan!)

If I get any type of reply I'll post it.

Also don't rule out the possibility that this was done deliberately as a way of generating interest and publicity. It has been done before.

Lip

TornLabrum
01-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth I have already asked Bob Vanderberg if he would forward an e-mail to Mike.

The e-mail explains what I have heard and seen. It explains who and what WSI is and that a number of Sox fans feel that Downey's credibility had already been destroyed.

I also offered my personal feeling that I was surprised that Mike would openly come out and say what he said and allow himself to be photographed wearing a Cubs hat. I mentioned that he would have to know it would piss off a segment of the Tribune's readers.

Nothing wrong with being a Cub fan but if you're in the media that's something you have to keep to yourself (or for that matter being a Sox fan!)

Also don't rule out the possibility that this was done deliberately as a way of generating interest and publicity. It has been done before.

Lip

Really????? In the newspaper business???????

DVG
01-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I remember a few years back Downey wrote a page three
column in the front section of the LA Times. The tone of it
was very sarcastic and irreverent. When the Tribune Co.
bought the LA Times I remember a Downey article in which
he cracked "Go Cubbies!" or something like that. Perhaps
the hat thing is a big joke being taken too seriously.