PDA

View Full Version : Latest Colon 3 Way Deal Dying Too

duke of dorwood
01-13-2003, 10:10 AM
From Boston Globe:

The hitch apparently related to Cincinnati's concerns over the physical condition of righthander Brady Penny, whom they would have received from the Marlins in the multiplayer swap

Under the plan that would send Penny to Cincinnati and Colon to Florida, the Expos would receive Adrian Gonzalez, a highly prized first base prospect, and righthander Don Levinski from the Marlins. They also would get outfielder Ruben Mateo and righthander Luke Hudson from the Reds. Minor changes could be made in the deal, but it was stalled - and ultimately could be killed - by Cincinnati's reluctance over Penny, whose medical records the Reds had received.

Penny, 24, has gone on the disabled list twice in the last three seasons, including a six-week stint last season with inflammation of the right biceps.

Unregistered
01-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Considering Florida's trade with Detroit for Redman and Cincy's signing of Paul Wilson, all coincidentally happening shortly after the Montreal deal was reportedly stalled with the two teams, i think it's pretty safe to assume that particular deal was killed... it seemed pretty likely that those moves by both those teams were reactions to the Expos deal falling through.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Considering Florida's trade with Detroit for Redman and Cincy's signing of Paul Wilson, all coincidentally happening shortly after the Montreal deal was reportedly stalled with the two teams, i think it's pretty safe to assume that particular deal was killed... it seemed pretty likely that those moves by both those teams were reactions to the Expos deal falling through.

I agree. In fact, I think the Marlins' GM said so upon dealing for Redman. I'm not sure who is still in talks with the Expos, but my guess is the White Sox, Red Sox and maybe Orioles, Mariners, Cardinals and/or Mets.

34 Inch Stick
01-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Those teams are really lucky to have GM's who develop a plan B in case their dream move falls through. I wouldn't know what it is to have a GM like that.