PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerer starting early

delben91
01-12-2003, 08:50 PM
My apologies if this got posted already:

From CBS Sportsline (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teamrpt/6105688)

But here's my favorite part...

"--SS/INF D'Angelo Jimenez will reportedly get playing time at shortstop as well this spring. Manager Jerry Manuel wants a versatile middle of the infield and wants the option to be able to interchange Jimenez and Jose Valentin between shortstop and second base."

Glad to see some things never change, let's keep those players as confused as possible about their role on the team.

:versatile
"Did somebody say 'versatile' ? "

jeremyb1
01-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by delben91

"--SS/INF D'Angelo Jimenez will reportedly get playing time at shortstop as well this spring. Manager Jerry Manuel wants a versatile middle of the infield and wants the option to be able to interchange Jimenez and Jose Valentin between shortstop and second base."

Glad to see some things never change, let's keep those players as confused as possible about their role on the team.

so now manuel can't even have a platoon? good managers don't play each player 162 games. jose hit .152 vs. lefthanders last year and .203 the season before that. its easy to just call manuel a "tinkerer" to no end without having any actual critcism. oh no. he's tinkering. if its to sit jose 15-25 games a year against lefties because he hits below .200 against them, its fine with me.

hose
01-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
so now manuel can't even have a platoon? good managers don't play each player 162 games. jose hit .152 vs. lefthanders last year and .203 the season before that. its easy to just call manuel a "tinkerer" to no end without having any actual critcism. oh no. he's tinkering. if its to sit jose 15-25 games a year against lefties because he hits below .200 against them, its fine with me.

Excellent point about Valentin.

Graffinino really doesn't have the range to play short, so Jimenez is a good switch when Jose needs to sit.

The team, even with it's stacked right handed hitting does poorly against lefthanded pitching.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 09:16 PM
It makes sense to get Jimenez some time at SS this season. He will most likely be there fulltime in '04.

delben91
01-12-2003, 09:24 PM

It's not so much Jiminez getting time at SS that worries me. The line about being able to "interchange Valentin and Jiminez" was what I was noticed more. If Jerry wants to sit Jose against lefties, fine, because as you said, he can't hit them. What I invisioned when I read "interchange" was just deciding one day to put Jose and 2B and Jiminez at SS and then the next day switching them back and so forth. Situational substitutions are not a problem, but random "interchanging" would be, at least for me, reminds me of Jose playing CF one day, 3B the next and SS the next 2 years ago. There has to be some level of consistency.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Funny how having a set lineup didn't seem to hurt great managers like Earl Weaver, Walt Alston, Joe Torre, Casey Stengel, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda and Dick Williams did it?

Lip

bc2k
01-12-2003, 09:35 PM
I've been away for a few weeks, fill me in on what blue lettering means.

Daver
01-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I've been away for a few weeks, fill me in on what blue lettering means.

If I knew I would tell you.

Daver
01-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Funny how having a set lineup didn't seem to hurt great managers like Earl Weaver, Walt Alston, Joe Torre, Casey Stengel, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda and Dick Williams did it?

Lip

I wouldn't consider Joe Torre a great manager.

jeremyb1
01-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by daver
If I knew I would tell you.

i thought blue was sarcasm. that's why i did it.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't consider Joe Torre a great manager.

He's kinda like David Hasselhoff in "Knight Rider". K.I.T. would have done alright with any chump behind the wheel.http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

Daver
01-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
He's kinda like David Hasselhoff in "Knight Rider". K.I.T. would have done alright with any chump behind the wheel.http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

Sorry WU,but I have no idea what you are talking about.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Sorry WU,but I have no idea what you are talking about.
I just meant the Yankees success has a lot more to do with machine-like team King George assembled, than Torre's managing ability. Similar to "K.I.T.T" the car from the TV show "Knight Rider" & David Hasselhoff.
:)
Not familiar with Knight Rider? It's a TV series from the 80's, starring David Hasselhoff. The opening episode told the story of how a dying millionaire named Wilton Knight rescued a young undercover cop who had been shot in the face. After plastic surgery officer Michael Long had a new face, a new identity (Michael Knight), and a new mission in life: to fight for law and justice in the Knight's incredible super-car, the Knight Industries Two Thousand--or KITT, for short. It was love at first sight between Michael and KITT. The car, a sleek, black, customized Pontiac Trans-Am, was impervious to attack, could cruise at 300 mph, could leap up to 50 feet through the air, and was loaded with such armaments as flamethrowers, smoke bombs, and infrared sensing devices. Best of all, it could talk, and in fact had a personality all its own; peevish, a bit haughty, but totally protective of Michael. He could summon the car when in trouble, and it would come crashing through the walls to get him.
Its deceased inventor had left behind a huge fortune to finance the crime-fighting, and a trusted associate, the suave Devon, to look after things. Based at a palatial estate, called somewhat grandly the Foundation for Law and Government, Michael (and often Devon) went forth each week, trailed by a large maintenance van that served as a sort of mobile command post. Rounding out the crew was a beautiful mechanic, variously Bonnie or April, and "RC3," a streeet-wise mechanic who joined the team in the fall of 1985.

Daver
01-12-2003, 10:12 PM
OK.

I didn't miss a damn thing in other words.

Though Bill Dance with a talking boat might be worth a laugh or two.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 10:15 PM
OK.

I didn't miss a damn thing in other words.

Though Bill Dance with a talking boat might be worth a laugh or two.

Bill Dance is also another guy who could manage the Yankees into the postseason.

TornLabrum
01-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Casey Stengel? Set lineup? Take him out of the picture and you're argument holds up a lot better. Casey platooned like crazy!

Soxheads
01-13-2003, 04:46 PM

Nope. Teal.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by delben91

I can understand your concern. Platoons are fine, but that's not what I'm hearing from Manuel. He's using the "V" word again.

Manuel announcing plans to be "versatile" is the equivalent of a recovering alcoholic announcing plans to take up social drinking. One thing leads to another...

Manuel ought to strike the word "versatile" from his vocabulary. The team was 100-times better off in 2000 when the roster wasn't versatile and Manuel's hands were tied.

:versatile :gun :hitless
"Then we showed up in 2001, and guess what happened?"

:jerry
"I panicked when the pitchers got hurt, and we were out of it by May 24."

hose
01-14-2003, 04:30 PM

Jeremy how would you break down the difference between Vasquez and Colon as far as cost and effect?

What pitcher do you think is a better fit for the long term plans of the Sox?