PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson

Daver
01-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Is no longer on the market. (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=9998631)

duke of dorwood
01-12-2003, 09:43 PM
It is still very strange that Pinella is involved in Tampa .

gogosoxgogo
01-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Good. I don't know why you people are so crazy over him, I don't care what team he played for, a 4.83 ERA is way too high, especially in the AL.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 09:53 AM
I don't think anyone is crazy about Wilson; but I think it is quite obvious that the Sox need another starting pitcher. Right now, they have a starting rotation that includes 2 guys who have never spent a season in a starting MLB rotation (Rauch and Biddle), one who posted an ERA over 5.00 in his first full season (Wright) and another who has been extremely inconsistent and nearly walked as many guys as he struck out last year (Garland). And they have no one else at any level in the organization who is ready to step in if one of those guys gets hurt or is ineffective. So, the Sox need another arm, and Wilson was one of the best remaining free agent options. I would have liked to have had him. My guess is that KW is focused on negotiating with the Expos for a starter and putting all his eggs in that basket. This will lead to either: (1) KW greatly overpaying for one of the Expos starters or; (2) KW wisely not overpyaing for one of the Expos starters, but missing out on any half way decent free agent alternative in the interim. The only guys out there who do anything for me now are Valdes and, to a lesser extent, Suppan. If I were KW I would sign Valdes TODAY. That gives him more leverage and flexibility in his talks with the Expos and gives the Sox a better fall-back position if no trade can be worked out with the Expos.

Unregistered
01-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If I were KW I would sign Valdes TODAY. That gives him more leverage and flexibility in his talks with the Expos and gives the Sox a better fall-back position if no trade can be worked out with the Expos. I think the "leverage" and "flexibility" KW has already is his false sense of security with the current Sox rotation. I think he truly believes that if we go into the season without acquiring any starting pitching, this team will still be competitive.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think the "leverage" and "flexibility" KW has already is his false sense of security with the current Sox rotation. I think he truly believes that if we go into the season without acquiring any starting pitching, this team will still be competitive.

If by "competitive" he means "mediocre," I would agree. Hell, with the Sox playing something like 1/3 of their games against the Indians, Royals and Tigers the certainly would be "competitive" with their current rotation. But they're not going to be competing for a World Series title, that's for damn sure.