PDA

View Full Version : JB to the Twins?

Daver
01-12-2003, 03:01 PM
From Twin Cities.com

Insiders say the Twins offered Seattle Mariners free-agent pitcher James Baldwin a $500,000 contract for this season.

The right-handed Baldwin, 31, who had a 7-10 record with a 5.28 earned-run average, would be a long-relief replacement for Bob Wells, whose contract was not renewed by the Twins. Baldwin also can start and would be insurance for Joe Mays' tender elbow.

You can see the whole story here. (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/4927046.htm)

SoxxoS
01-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Please no posts on-
"For 500,00 grand, why didn't we bring back JB. He was a clubhouse presence and blah blah..."

He sucks. He throws 85 MPH now, and had a over 5. ERA pitching mostly in SAFECO field. We have Glover and Ginter for long relief. We dont want him back. Matter of fact, that is great that he is going to the Twins. I will have no problem seeing him in the game in the bottom of the 5th tied 7-7.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Please no posts on-
"For 500,00 grand, why didn't we bring back JB. He was a clubhouse presence and blah blah..."

He sucks. He throws 85 MPH now, and had a over 5. ERA pitching mostly in SAFECO field. We have Glover and Ginter for long relief. We dont want him back. Matter of fact, that is great that he is going to the Twins. I will have no problem seeing him in the game in the bottom of the 5th tied 7-7.

Thanks, you beat me to this.

michigan84
01-12-2003, 06:18 PM
LOL., WinningUgly!, I like the picture at the bottom of the screen! General Managing for Dummies! Did you make that yourself?

Daver
01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by michigan84
LOL., WinningUgly!, I like the picture at the bottom of the screen! General Managing for Dummies! Did you make that yourself?

WU is one of the resident staff graphic artists.

jeremyb1
01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Please no posts on-

haha. but i thought that the rule was when someone else signs a free agent we have to start a thread complaining on how the season is ruined.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by michigan84

Thanks, but Kenny Williams deserves the credit. :D:

34 Inch Stick
01-13-2003, 08:24 AM
He would have been worthless for us. He was always great in domes so it is worth the risk for a dome team.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Its amazing how much things have changed in MLB over the last few years. I remember going into the '01 season (JB's contract year with the Sox), there was some talk that he would command Darren Driefert money, or something close to it, as a free agent (5 years for $50 million, I think). Instead, he signs a $1 million (maybe a little more) deal last year and will probably play for even less in '03.

WinningUgly!
01-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Its amazing how much things have changed in MLB over the last few years. I remember going into the '01 season (JB's contract year with the Sox), there was some talk that he would command Darren Driefert money, or something close to it, as a free agent (5 years for $50 million, I think). Instead, he signs a $1 million (maybe a little more) deal last year and will probably play for even less in '03.

JB was always an average, at best pitcher. He's never had a season ERA lower than 4.42. His career ERA is 5.02 & the guy has only reached the 200 innings mark once in his career.(He had exactly 200 IP in '97) He's lucky to be getting offers at all.

MarqSox
01-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
JB was always an average, at best pitcher. He's never had a season ERA lower than 4.42. His career ERA is 5.02 & the guy has only reached the 200 innings mark once in his career.(He had exactly 200 IP in '97) He's lucky to be getting offers at all.

Perhaps you guys forgot the fact that that's still better than 40% of our current rotation. I agree that everyone in the Sox' current starting 5 has a better longterm upside than JB, Baldwin has pennant run experience that you won't find in Rauch or Garland or Wright or Biddle or whoever else you want to put in the rotation. For a team that has a legitimate shot at the playoffs, to dismiss this factor is silly. Don't get me wrong, JB isn't the best option -- he's probably not even in the top 10 -- but for the money, how can you NOT be interested in him as a #4 starter?

I got flamed for this post before it even got posted, so let's have some more ...

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I agree that JB isn't a great (or even good) pitcher. But his career is somewhat comparable with Driefert's (who has never pitched 200 innings and, in three full years as a starter, never had an ERA under 4.00 despite pitching in the NL in a notorious pitcher's park), which had some people suggesting that JB would be able to secure a deal not too far from the one Driefert got. Of course, Driefert didn't deserve the deal he got, and JB surely doesn't deserve such a deal either. I expect he'll be out of baseball in a year or two. Which is too bad, because from all accounts, the guy is a great teammate and all around good guy.

Foulke You
01-13-2003, 01:47 PM
JB was always a great clubhouse guy and an average pitcher but he lost a LOT off his fastball after his most recent shoulder surgery which he had after the 2000 playoffs. From 2001 on, he relied mostly on his slower breaking pitches and locating his now 86 mph fastball which he once hurled at 91-92mph. A great guy and leader but I would only want him if it was a limited role like long relief.

Chisoxfn
01-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Thats how much the pay scale has changed the past two years, mainly this year. JB almost lucked out on a career year and was going to make huge pay. He got hurt and that is what really cost him in the end.

Also, I'm with Dibbler and everyone else who says he was always avg. He had one year, otherwise he was just half a season pitcher and he wasn't great.

Of course he did have a ton of sucess in domes.

ma-gaga
01-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Well, Sid Hartman, the Minneapolis version of Phil Rogers, wants the Twins to pick up local boy Kerry Lightenberg (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/3580733.html) for their bullpen. The Twins only need one more reliever to fill out their pen...

Careful with that link. Sid has been known to cause instant revulsion. He's a little heavy on the brown-nosing sucking upage. Plus he considers: Carl Pohlad, George Steinbrenner and Bobby Knight as "close personal friends"... Here's (http://www.rakemag.com/features/detail.asp?catID=61&itemID=953) a suck up piece to Sid...