PDA

View Full Version : Expos' Payroll

gogosoxgogo
01-12-2003, 09:21 AM
It's no secret that the Expos have to cut $10mil from their payroll next year. Obviously, they need to make a few trades and Bartolo Colon is their most prized posession, excluding Guerrero, who, in most likelihood will not be traded. However, trading Colon only eats up about $6mil from their payroll, still leaving them with $4mil to cut.

My Question: Is it possible that the Sox could acquire Colon AND Vazquez (who I believe is set to earn $4mil next year)?

Buehrle, Colon, Vazquez, Garland, Wright... ahhh

Now, realistically, I know that this has no chance of happening, let alone acquring one of those two. However, I still find it interesting that the Expos have to trade more than just Colon this offseason. It may not be Vazquez they trade off, but I think that is the most likely scenario.

gosox41
01-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
It's no secret that the Expos have to cut $10mil from their payroll next year. Obviously, they need to make a few trades and Bartolo Colon is their most prized posession, excluding Guerrero, who, in most likelihood will not be traded. However, trading Colon only eats up about $6mil from their payroll, still leaving them with $4mil to cut.

My Question: Is it possible that the Sox could acquire Colon AND Vazquez (who I believe is set to earn $4mil next year)?

Buehrle, Colon, Vazquez, Garland, Wright... ahhh

Now, realistically, I know that this has no chance of happening, let alone acquring one of those two. However, I still find it interesting that the Expos have to trade more than just Colon this offseason. It may not be Vazquez they trade off, but I think that is the most likely scenario.

I know the Sox are on a limited budget, but if I were them I'd trade for Colon and Tatis. It's clear that while Montreal has to cut payroll, they don't want to give up a lot of top talent. This means the asking price for Colon may drop dramatically if Tatis is thrown in the deal. I think Tatis is a bum but the Sox could carry him on their roster as a backup and not carry 3 catchers.

The goal here should be to get a top line pitcher without giving up the whole farm system, something KW likes to do. As I said earlier, I think Colon is a health risk so I want to see the Sox part with as few talented prospects as possible. I'd rather the Sox take on the $10 mill. of salary and lose money then trade away a Joe Crede, Joe Borchard, Carlos Lee, or Kris Honel.

For all I care the Sox could get Tatis and release his sorry butt. His only purpose is to drive the price of Colon down. This is where the Sox need a smart, progressive thinking GM. They can get Colon who is a bit of a health risk for one year and a total of $10 mill (counting Colon+Tatis salaries). Or they can trade 2-3 top prospects for just Colon. Sure the pay roll only goes up$6 mill. but how much is it going to cost the Sox in the next 3-4 years to fill the holes caused by trading those top prospects. That's not even inculding the fact that some of the players the Sox get to fill these holes may still be a lot wrse then what they had to begin with.

For example if the Sox traded Borchard who right now is a CF. They can pay him the close to the minimum at the ML level his first 2 years or so. Or they can get another over the hill CF and pa him $2 mill. a year for 2 years (which just happens to equal the money spent on Tatis and the team may be worse off.) Now add another top prospect into that equation. My point is trading for just Colon is going to cost the Sox at least $4 mill. over the next 2 years and probably more as they scramble to fill all the holes KW created.

Of course for $10 mill. for one year they could have haed just Millwood without giving up any top young talent. This is also why KW is a lousy GM.

Bob

gogosoxgogo
01-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I know the Sox are on a limited budget, but if I were them I'd trade for Colon and Tatis. It's clear that while Montreal has to cut payroll, they don't want to give up a lot of top talent. This means the asking price for Colon may drop dramatically if Tatis is thrown in the deal. I think Tatis is a bum but the Sox could carry him on their roster as a backup and not carry 3 catchers.

The goal here should be to get a top line pitcher without giving up the whole farm system, something KW likes to do. As I said earlier, I think Colon is a health risk so I want to see the Sox part with as few talented prospects as possible. I'd rather the Sox take on the $10 mill. of salary and lose money then trade away a Joe Crede, Joe Borchard, Carlos Lee, or Kris Honel.

For all I care the Sox could get Tatis and release his sorry butt. His only purpose is to drive the price of Colon down. This is where the Sox need a smart, progressive thinking GM. They can get Colon who is a bit of a health risk for one year and a total of $10 mill (counting Colon+Tatis salaries). Or they can trade 2-3 top prospects for just Colon. Sure the pay roll only goes up$6 mill. but how much is it going to cost the Sox in the next 3-4 years to fill the holes caused by trading those top prospects. That's not even inculding the fact that some of the players the Sox get to fill these holes may still be a lot wrse then what they had to begin with.

For example if the Sox traded Borchard who right now is a CF. They can pay him the close to the minimum at the ML level his first 2 years or so. Or they can get another over the hill CF and pa him $2 mill. a year for 2 years (which just happens to equal the money spent on Tatis and the team may be worse off.) Now add another top prospect into that equation. My point is trading for just Colon is going to cost the Sox at least $4 mill. over the next 2 years and probably more as they scramble to fill all the holes KW created.

Of course for $10 mill. for one year they could have haed just Millwood without giving up any top young talent. This is also why KW is a lousy GM.

Bob

That's a good point. I only wish that it would come true. There's no way JR is going to take on Tatis' salary to better his team. I want Colon pretty damn badly... I just fear what KW is planning to give up for him.

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

If I were running the Sox, I'd try to get Vazquez and Tatis, instead of Colon. Tatis is in the last year of his contract so you're only taking him for one year (at about $6 million, I believe). Vazquez, I think, would be under the Sox control for either 2 or 3 more years. He is younger and in better shape than Colon and would be with the Sox (potentially) longer. Tatis and Vazquez combined make $10 million for '03. I think the Sox could make tha trade happen without trading a "top" prospect (like Honel, Rauch, Borchard or Munoz) and without trading anyone who is slated to start in '03 right now. I bet they could get those two for something like Ginter, Almonte, and Webster.