PDA

View Full Version : Maggs in underrated

gogosoxgogo
01-11-2003, 10:24 AM
I was thinking about this the other day, so I'm going to throw it out there. I think that Magglio Ordonez is underrated.

I do believe that he is STARTING to finally get the recognition he deserves, but it still isn't anywhere close to what he should be getting. When people name the top outfielders in the game, he is often left off the list. People simply think of Sham-Me, Vlad, Bonds, and others while forgetting about Maggs. If he was on the Yankees, think about the publicity he would be getting. He would be among the top players in the game in anyone's mind! It just really ticks me how the Sox get put on the back burner in everything.

Another Topic: Frank will be back next year. I don't have much to support me besides his work in September and the hours he's been putting in this offseason, but I can just feel it happening. Although everyone got on him last year, he didn't finish that bad. He still had 28 homers and over 90 RBIs. I think it's very likely we will see 30/100 with a much higher batting avg and on base percentage. Oh, and for those people who are saying Frank is not a hall of famer, dream on! He only has roughly two more 100+ RBI years until he reaches 1500 for his career. I still believe that he will reach 500 homers for his career. And his batting average despite the year's he's struggled is still an amazing .314! Hall of Famer? Without a doubt.

WinningUgly!
01-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I was thinking about this the other day, so I'm going to throw it out there. I think that Magglio Ordonez is underrated.

I do believe that he is STARTING to finally get the recognition he deserves, but it still isn't anywhere close to what he should be getting. When people name the top outfielders in the game, he is often left off the list. People simply think of Sham-Me, Vlad, Bonds, and others while forgetting about Maggs. If he was on the Yankees, think about the publicity he would be getting. He would be among the top players in the game in anyone's mind! It just really ticks me how the Sox get put on the back burner in everything.

Maggs isn't underrated by people that know anything about baseball...just casual fans. I doubt that it bothers him a whole lot either. He's a pretty quiet guy who's not too interested in patting himself on the back or blowing kisses. I'd be happy with $23 Million over the next two years also. :D:

hose
01-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Another Topic: Frank will be back next year. I don't have much to support me besides his work in September and the hours he's been putting in this offseason, but I can just feel it happening. Although everyone got on him last year, he didn't finish that bad. He still had 28 homers and over 90 RBIs. I think it's very likely we will see 30/100 with a much higher batting avg and on base percentage. Oh, and for those people who are saying Frank is not a hall of famer, dream on! He only has roughly two more 100+ RBI years until he reaches 1500 for his career. I still believe that he will reach 500 homers for his career. And his batting average despite the year's he's struggled is still an amazing .314! Hall of Famer? Without a doubt.

I think Maggs wants the respect of his peers, which he gets, and the money that goes along with it . The media attention isn't something Magglio is comfortable with and he doesn't seek it out. Any baseball writer worth his salt or true fan knows Maggs value.

I am right with you on Hurt. I think he will have a MVP type season in '03, now if he is with the club next year is another story.

SouthSideHitman
01-11-2003, 01:06 PM

True dat. Mags gets obligatory mentions by baseball people in April, July and September but is ignored as he quietly produces every year. I think that its because he doesn't really go on homerun tears, doesn't play on ESPN often and doesn't make noise off the field. But hey, I'll take the production and lack of hype if it means less to resign him!

As for Frank, he is a boderline HOFer right now and three or four more decent (for Frank) years easily puts him over the top. He is the best player in the history of the team and I don't know why Jerry is so quick to antagonize him. My fandom has just about perfectly coincided with his carrer and though he has never been my favorite player and he'll at least be here next year, it would break my heart to see him leave the only team he's know over stupid disagreements with JR.

soxnut
01-11-2003, 01:51 PM
totally agree with you all about those two. Frank will breakout once again, and Mags will be his consistent self--only better. If they pitch as good as they did in the second half, and we actually get some TIMELY hitting, and don't run around WILLY-NILLY on the basepaths, we're gonna have some fun this summer!!

hold2dibber
01-13-2003, 10:26 AM

I would rate Maggs just one (tiny) notch below Bonds and Vlad (and maybe Giles) among major league outfielders. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves; but if he keeps putting up numbers like last year, he will.

I don't need (nor do I expect) Frank to put up MVP type numbers next year. I do think, however, that he'll be damn good and much better than he was in '02. My guess is something like .295/30/110 with an OBP of .380 and an OPS of .925. I'd be thrilled if he put up those kind of numbers.