PDA

View Full Version : Colon to Florida deal dead


michigan84
01-10-2003, 10:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0109/1489938.html

The Marlins traded 2 prospects to Detroit for Mark Redman! We still have a chance at Colon!

And my in-state Tigers, once again you have proven to me that you suck! Why would you trade Mark Redman? He was excellent last year and the only good pitcher you had on your staff! I am seriously considering renouncing you as my second favorite team! You deserve to be in AAA! Thanks for nothing, Dombrowski! Obdviously you still want to help the Marlins out!

jeremyb1
01-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by michigan84
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0109/1489938.html

The Marlins traded 2 prospects to Detroit for Mark Redman! We still have a chance at Colon!

And my in-state Tigers, once again you have proven to me that you suck! Why would you trade Mark Redman? He was excellent last year and the only good pitcher you had on your staff! I am seriously considering renouncing you as my second favorite team! You deserve to be in AAA! Thanks for nothing, Dombrowski! Obdviously you still want to help the Marlins out!

if the prospects were even decent i'm guessing the deal was done because the redman is 28 or 29 and the tigers aren't going to be competing any time soon.

if this deal is off, my first reaction isn't "lets go after colon now" its "lets go after penny". apparently his market value is only a fraction of colon's since the marlins were about to deal penny, one of the top prospects in the game, and another prospect to get colon. however, perhaps colon's price is going to continue to fall at this point. quite honestly i have no idea who's still interested. the red sox may be out entirely. the yanks were supposedly in pursuit but if they really wanted colon, they'd have him by now. maybe we can get him in a deal comperable to what millwood went for. in this economic times you never know.

oldcomiskey
01-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Just in case you havent heard--Penny may have a serious injury--Ill take My chances on Colon if the Sox can sign him long term

mrwag
01-11-2003, 09:13 AM
I know it might be wishful thinking, but could it actually be that the Sox have a deal done with Colon, which is why nobody else has signed him? Maybe it really is being held a secret until SoxFest?

gogosoxgogo
01-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
I know it might be wishful thinking, but could it actually be that the Sox have a deal done with Colon, which is why nobody else has signed him? Maybe it really is being held a secret until SoxFest?

Boy would that be great... I've got a weekend pass. Depending on what oercentage of our farm we give up, it may actually keep me from punching KW in the face when I see him there.

harwar
01-11-2003, 09:35 AM
I think the reason that Colon is still out there is that the owners have finally got ahold of theirselves(can u say collusion?),and have collectively decided to stop the all-out,pay the guy anything,madness that has prevailed over recent years.I for one like it.

34 Inch Stick
01-11-2003, 09:53 AM
He's alreay going to be payed for next year.

How many teams are now X'd off the Colon list. At this rate he will be ours by 2005.

The only thing is I trust Kenny more when he has to bid against another team than when he is bidding against himself. When there is another team involved he seems to have the sense not to get in a bidding war. When he is bidding against himself he seems to go absolutely nuts.

voodoochile
01-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He's alreay going to be payed for next year.

How many teams are now X'd off the Colon list. At this rate he will be ours by 2005.

The only thing is I trust Kenny more when he has to bid against another team than when he is bidding against himself. When there is another team involved he seems to have the sense not to get in a bidding war. When he is bidding against himself he seems to go absolutely nuts.

Yeah, but then is it good news or bad news that other teams are dropping out of the race...

gosox41
01-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, but then is it good news or bad news that other teams are dropping out of the race...

It doesn't matter as long as Kenny is around. He'll mess it up. I'm all for Colon...at the right price. That BP article about his possible shoulder tendinitis concerns me which is why if I were GM I wouldn't give up mroe then 2 mid-level prospects for him. I think he's a health risk and he has pitched a ton of innings over the years so it should come as no surprise if his numbers decline as he gets older.

Of course I want the Sox to get a # 2 starter and I'd like to think Colon can remain healthy for one year, but he is on course to breakdown sooner rather then later.

I'm still mad the Sox didn't get Millwood when they had the chance. At least he bounced back strongly last season from a shoulder injury in 2001 and we could have gotten him for a lot less.

Bob