PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest players added

mike squires
01-10-2003, 10:23 AM
According to the tribune.com the following players have been added to the list (that were noton the whitesox.com original list) they are Bucky Dent, Rich Dotson and Carlos May. I didn't see Baines' name on the updated list~uh oh! for as messed up as the Sox organazation is they absolultly have the best fest around. They try to put players from each generation on the list. Who will be at the Cubs convention this year? Hector Villenoava

HawkDJ
01-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Baines will be there. For the full list so far go to www.whitesox.com

mike squires
01-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Mysteriously, Big Frank is not on the list. Hmmmmmmm. Nothing like winning back those fans. Hopefully he invited Walt over for the weekend and will be going over film and takin some BP in the cage.

CHISOXFAN13
01-10-2003, 06:53 PM
It would be nice to see Koch added to that list.

MetalliSox
01-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Baines will be there. For the full list so far go to www.whitesox.com

Warren Township High School kicks Stevenson's booty!!

Uh, Go Sox!

Lip Man 1
01-10-2003, 07:43 PM
They do seem to do a nice job of that (although they never say who and how many former players turned them down and why)

In fairness though what the PR dept does at Sox Fest has to be measured against some other things....

Namely:

Why don't the Sox have an "Old Timers" day anymore? (They used to do it when I was a kid) I've had a lot of players tell me they'd love to come back if the Sox would invite them.

Also why didn't the Sox stage anything to honor the 25th anniversary of the 1977 club? or the 30th anniversary of the 1972 club last year?

They haven't had a reunion of the 1959 team since 1969.

It'll be interesting to see if they do anything to honor the 1983 team or the 1993 team this upcoming season. I mean how much can it cost the Sox to offer to fly in fifteen or twenty guys?

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
01-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They do seem to do a nice job of that (although they never say who and how many former players turned them down and why)

In fairness though what the PR dept does at Sox Fest has to be measured against some other things....

Namely:

Why don't the Sox have an "Old Timers" day anymore? (They used to do it when I was a kid) I've had a lot of players tell me they'd love to come back if the Sox would invite them.

Also why didn't the Sox stage anything to honor the 25th anniversary of the 1977 club? or the 30th anniversary of the 1972 club last year?

It'll be interesting to see if they do anything to honor the 1983 team or the 1993 team this upcoming season. I mean how much can it cost the Sox to offer to fly in fifteen or twenty guys?

Lip

Actually the Sox did honor the 1959 team on several dates in 1999 for the fortieth anniversary. IIRC, there was an event for the '77 team last summer, but nothing for the '72 club.

Either way, the Sox ought to do more to reconnect Sox Fans with their memories of the ballclub to a time when blaming and threatening the paying customers wasn't the favored means of marketing the ballclub.

:reinsy
"Buy more tickets, or else!"

:KW
"Yeah, there is no telling what I'll do!"

:ray
"Believe him!"

TornLabrum
01-10-2003, 10:04 PM

Namely:

Lip

In addition to the events that PHG mentioned, the Sox had a 20th anniversary celebration of the Hitmen at SoxFest. One of the high points of my life came that year when I had to use the rest room at I peed standing next to Ralph Garr.

OEO Magglio
01-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Warren Township High School kicks Stevenson's booty!!

NO WAY, STEVENSON IS MUCH MUCH BETTER

Lip Man 1
01-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Interesting that PHG and Torn Labrum mentioned those things.

I read the Chicago papers every day and have since I got the Internet in 97. I don't recall one word being mentioned about any of those.

Nor do I recall anything being said on the WGN news (which I get on the satellite) nor when they did the Sox games.

The only thing I saw was WGN's 7 1/2 minute tribute to the 77 club which aired after Montreal beat the Sox 2-1 in a quick game (that's the story I sent you PHG) and the team Of The Century hype on their web site.

Obviously the Sox aren't doing a very good job of promoting or publicizing these events. (Big surprise eh?)

Lip

TornLabrum
01-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Interesting that PHG and Torn Labrum mentioned those things.

I read the Chicago papers every day and have since I got the Internet in 97. I don't recall one word being mentioned about any of those.

Nor do I recall anything being said on the WGN news (which I get on the satellite) nor when they did the Sox games.

The only thing I saw was WGN's 7 1/2 minute tribute to the 77 club which aired after Montreal beat the Sox 2-1 in a quick game (that's the story I sent you PHG) and the team Of The Century hype on their web site.

Obviously the Sox aren't doing a very good job of promoting or publicizing these events. (Big surprise eh?)

Lip

I'm pretty sure the '77 Sox were mentioned in the SoxFest '97 publicity.

Viva Magglio
01-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm pretty sure the '77 Sox were mentioned in the SoxFest '97 publicity.

They were honored at SoxFest last year. Not only was Ralph Garr there but Eric Soderholm and Wilbur Wood were also there. They did have a seminar on the '77 Sox.

TornLabrum
01-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They were honored at SoxFest last year. Not only was Ralph Garr there but Eric Soderholm and Wilbur Wood were also there. They did have a seminar on the '77 Sox.

Unfortunately, I spent the time from December 24, 2001 to January 9, 2002 in the hospital, and barely made it back to wrok by the first week in February. SoxFest was out of the question, obviously, and I wasn't keeping up on the publicity. Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure the Sox haven't neglected the Hitmen.

volrath32
01-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Both of you are hicks. I go to a school where you can get into something called "college". I'll repeat that "college"! Your application to Lake Forest Community College has been denied! DHS for life, suckas!

OEO Magglio
01-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Both of you are hicks. I go to a school where you can get into something called "college". I'll repeat that "college"! Your application to Lake Forest Community College has been denied! DHS for life, suckas!

Yeah, I guarantee you more people get into college from Stevenson then from your high school, stevenson is one of the best high schools in illinois, so i wouldnt be talking about getting into college.