PDA

View Full Version : Chico Carrasquel Beaten in Venezuela

Viva Magglio
01-10-2003, 08:20 AM
He's okay, but it's pretty dangerous down there. A couple of months ago, carjackers unsuccessfully tried to get Mágglio Ordóńez. Before that, they got and shot Houston's Richard Hidalgo who later recovered.

From ChicagoSports.com: "Carrasquel beaten during carjacking" (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030109soxchicoassault,0,2278087.story?coll=cs%2Dho me%2Dheadlines)

mrwag
01-10-2003, 09:45 AM
That place is a mess right now. I think if I had ties to the U.S., I'd be moving the heck outta there.

idseer
01-10-2003, 01:25 PM
chico was the sox ss when i first became a fan, and was one of my favorites.
i'm glad to hear no permanent damage was done.

Hangar18
01-10-2003, 02:49 PM
If Im correct, Chico Carresquel no longer does the Spanish
Language Play-by-Play for the Sox does he?
Yet another public relations blunder by the sox.

doublem23
01-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Do the Sox even have Spanish radio affiliate? That's a PR blunder.

Hangar18
01-10-2003, 03:22 PM
They used to have the games Broadcast in Spanish, and Chico Carrasquel was the announcer for it. I remember he was doing it solo for awhile, but the Forward Thinking front office over on 35th St stopped it. (SOx say stations didnt have the money though, in their defense) We need more fans...not less of them.
someone from the Sox spoke to him an hour ago apparently, hes defiinitely ok.

voodoochile
01-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
They used to have the games Broadcast in Spanish, and Chico Carrasquel was the announcer for it. I remember he was doing it solo for awhile, but the Forward Thinking front office over on 35th St stopped it. (SOx say stations didnt have the money though, in their defense) We need more fans...not less of them.
someone from the Sox spoke to him an hour ago apparently, hes defiinitely ok.

Yeah, located on the SS of Chicago, who needs Latino fans ?

Good news about Chico...

Paulwny
01-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by idseer
chico was the sox ss when i first became a fan, and was one of my favorites.
i'm glad to hear no permanent damage was done.

I also became a sox fan when Chico was at ss. I thought , "What a bad trade sending him to Cleveland and relying on that unknown kid Aparicio".

Lip Man 1
01-10-2003, 07:49 PM
According to ESPN 's Sportscenter last night, MLB teams are scrambling to get visa requests into the Venezuelian government in the next three weeks.

According to the story after that time because of the political unrest, visa requests will not be accepted.

Sportscenter had a list of prominent Venezuelian players and Ordonez topped the list.

Apparently according to US law, those players can not enter the country without the material from the Venezuelian government.

just something Sox fans need to keep an eye on.

Lip

TornLabrum
01-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I also became a sox fan when Chico was at ss. I thought , "What a bad trade sending him to Cleveland and relying on that unknown kid Aparicio".

I've told this story a thousand times, including once to Chico himself. He and Jack Brickhouse are the reasons that I'm a baseball fan in general and a Sox fan in particular. I was five years old and was out playing in our back yard when I decided to go visit my grandparents, who lived a couple of doors away from us.

When I went into their house, my grandpa was watching a game on TV and just as I went into their living room, Chico hit one out. The combination of that and Brickhouse's call hooked me. I ran back home shouting "Carousel hit a home run!" I turned on the game and that was it.

That home run is my earliest memory of anything to do with baseball. I was hooked. Not long after that, I remember my mom taking me to the barber shop. I cried and cried because I wanted to watch the game. I couldn't read a whole lot when I was five, so I didn't know they didn't play every weekday. I was shocked when I saw that my barber (also a huge Sox fan) had channel 9 on his TV and there was a movie on! That's my first memory of feeling really stupid.

idseer
01-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
That's my first memory of feeling really stupid.

i must have purged all my early memories of feeling stupid ... because i'm sure i had them. i only remember my lastest feelings of being stupid! :D: