PDA

View Full Version : Colon to Marlins hits snag

moochpuppy
01-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Sounds like Florida is pulling a KW (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0109/1489938.html)

pudge
01-09-2003, 02:54 PM
So that's three prospects and a decent starter for Colon... hmm, that sounds too high to me. KW would probably have to give up Garland/Wright, plus three decent minor leaguers... I don't know, seems to defeat the purpose to me. Especially since Colon is only around for one season. Man, the Ritchie thing really burns me up now that I think about it (for the thousandth time)... if Kip Wells becomes a solid starter in a year or two, it's gonna sting.

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by pudge
So that's three prospects and a decent starter for Colon... hmm, that sounds too high to me. KW would probably have to give up Garland/Wright, plus three decent minor leaguers... I don't know, seems to defeat the purpose to me. Especially since Colon is only around for one season.

Depends on the prospects and depends on whether the Sox could sign Colon long term. What I'd really like to see is the Sox take Colon and Tatis, because if they were willing to take on that Tatis contract, I'm guessing Colon could be had for a lot less (probably just prospects with maybe Liefer or Harris thrown in).

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What I'd really like to see is the Sox take Colon and Tatis, because if they were willing to take on that Tatis contract, I'm guessing Colon could be had for a lot less (probably just prospects with maybe Liefer or Harris thrown in).

and then tatis sits on the bench the year? there is no spot for someone being paid like that.

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
and then tatis sits on the bench the year? there is no spot for someone being paid like that.

Who are you, Jerry Reinsdorf?? :smile: I don't give a crap if we're overpaying for a bench player. We've been playing with a small market payroll for the last 5 years. So we have to pay Tatis $7 million to sit on the bench, if it means we add Colon without sacrificing Garland, Wright or Rauch, I'm all for it. Even if they made that deal, they'd still only be at about $55 million in payroll, which is the same as the Twins are going to have this year, for Pete's sake.