PDA

View Full Version : Per George Ofman...

Viva Magglio
01-09-2003, 11:03 AM
...Kenny Williams is looking at acquiring No. 3 and No. 4 starters who can hopefully pitch 200 innings. Shorty George also mentioned that the Colon-to-Boston deal is dead and that the White Sox are a possible suitor.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...Kenny Williams is looking at acquiring No. 3 and No. 4 starters who can hopefully pitch 200 innings. Shorty George also mentioned that the Colon-to-Boston deal is dead and that the White Sox are a possible suitor.

Well there you have it- The WS are a bigger tease than my high-school girlfriend.

NYSF

duke of dorwood
01-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey, she just teased YOU

NewyorkSoxFan
01-09-2003, 11:26 AM
K Dub' couldn't get a deal done if his MOMA'S life depended on it. I think the other GM's must laugh, and let him think he has a chance at making a deal. Then when he does make a deal they rob him blind.

NYSF

Clarkdog
01-09-2003, 11:43 AM

I sure everyone saw Phil Rogers' piece in the Tribune on 1/4 about workhorses.

It seems like KW is looking to Phil for advice on how to build a contender. Just hope Phil doesn't get blamed for the move when it blows up like Schu did with Ritchie.

RKMeibalane
01-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Why is KW looking for a number three or four starter? The White Sox already have people who can fill those spots adequately. What they really need is someone to fill the number two position. Williams has had more than a few opportunities to make a deal, and he hasn't done it. Now, it looks like he's desperately trying to throw something together so the media won't criticize him.

Of course, I can't help getting the feeling that things KW has or hasn't done may be traced back to someone else.

:reinsy

"Who? Me?"

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Why is KW looking for a number three or four starter? The White Sox already have people who can fill those spots adequately. What they really need is someone to fill the number two position. Williams has had more than a few opportunities to make a deal, and he hasn't done it. Now, it looks like he's desperately trying to throw something together so the media won't criticize him.

I would rather he pick up a true top of the rotation type (like Colon or Vazquez) but only if he doesn't have to overpay. If the price is too high, I still think we'd be okay with the signing of Valdes or Wilson, or maybe even Suppan. In either event, if they can't make a deal (which is most likely, IMHO), then the team's '03 season really lies in the hands of Wright, Garland and Rauch. If those guys turn the corner, the Sox will be a contender for the division title (though not more). If not, we'll be back around the .500 level we've been hovering around for the better part of 5 years.

duke of dorwood
01-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Is this Plan C?

This again proves what a moron he is

Unregistered
01-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Is this Plan C?

This again proves what a moron he is Heh, like anyone in these parts needed any more proof...

Lip Man 1
01-09-2003, 12:27 PM
It may be a lot easier to pick up pitchers who are considered #3 and #4, then to get a Colon.

Who those guys might be I have no idea. Pitching is in short supple (except of course with the Yankees).

Personally I think the Sox would be OK if they could plug in two reliable guys around Buehrle, Garland and Wright.

The thought of the Sox having to depend on Biddle and Rauch for forty per cent of the starting rotation is a frightening thought.

Lip

RKMeibalane
01-09-2003, 12:34 PM
I have a feeling things may get worse before they get better. Right now, the White Sox are a team of question marks? Can Frank Thomas continue the success he had at the end of last season? Will Garland and Danny Wright continue to develop? Is Rauch ready for a full-time starting role? Is the Sox bullpen deep enough?

As the general manager of the White Sox, KW is the man most directly responsible for improving the ballclub. He has done little to ensure that the Sox make a run at the Twins. Every time the possibility of a trade arises, he dissappears from the scene, only to reappear a few days later and claim that he is "still trying to find a solution." What he doesn't realize is that people are tired of waiting. We are now in year eighty six of the World Series drought. People have run out of patience.

RKMeibalane
01-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It may be a lot easier to pick up pitchers who are considered #3 and #4, then to get a Colon.

Who those guys might be I have no idea. Pitching is in short supple (except of course with the Yankees).

Personally I think the Sox would be OK if they could plug in two reliable guys around Buehrle, Garland and Wright.

The thought of the Sox having to depend on Biddle and Rauch for forty per cent of the starting rotation is a frightening thought.

Lip

That's the problem, though. I'm sure other general managers are familiar with the Sox pitching staff. They know that Williams has been putting out feelers and exploring trade options. They also know that he is running out of time if he wants to get something done before the start of Spring Training. Furthermore, everyone knows that KW is incompetent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to rip him off when he makes his move- if he makes his move.

michigan84
01-09-2003, 12:46 PM

Oh no, this should be interesting! If he saw Todd Ritchie as a #2 starter last year, I'd hate to see what his idea of a #3 or #4 starter!

And I don't think we need a front of the rotation starter, with KW's trend of overpaying for players in trades we would probably have to give up the whole farm system because GMs know they can fleece him in trades. A solid pitcher would do, because the offense of the AL Central teams minus Minnesota is asolutely punchless!

cornball
01-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I would rather he pick up a true top of the rotation type (like Colon or Vazquez) but only if he doesn't have to overpay. If the price is too high, I still think we'd be okay with the signing of Valdes or Wilson, or maybe even Suppan. In either event, if they can't make a deal (which is most likely, IMHO), then the team's '03 season really lies in the hands of Wright, Garland and Rauch. If those guys turn the corner, the Sox will be a contender for the division title (though not more). If not, we'll be back around the .500 level we've been hovering around for the better part of 5 years.

I agree!
Give me a proven starter for prospects. Many of the prospects will not pan out anyway, or are several years away. It wouldn't effect anything if we do want most contending/competitive clubs do, ACTUALLY PARTICIPATE IN THE FREE AGENT MARKET for proven players.

Hangar18
01-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What he doesn't realize is that people are tired of waiting. We are now in year eighty six of the World Series drought. People have run out of patience.

Year 86 and counting.....
there are going to be teams playing on Mars and Jupiter someday
and those teams will have at least good free agent pickups then too. Our luck will have it that Uncle Jerry lives to be 150.
and we still wont have been to the World Series.

RKMeibalane
01-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Year 86 and counting.....
there are going to be teams playing on Mars and Jupiter someday
and those teams will have at least good free agent pickups then too. Our luck will have it that Uncle Jerry lives to be 150.
and we still wont have been to the World Series.

We can at least find small comfort in the fact that the Cubs won't get to the World Series either.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2003, 06:14 PM
RK says:

We can at least find small comfort in the fact that the Cubs won't get to the World Series either.

Some comfort THAT is!

And the way the Cubs are throwing money around, I wouldn't bet your life on your statement. If they spend enough, they might get real lucky, meanwhile the Sox without spending a dime, have ZERO chance...none, nada, zilch, period.

If the Cubs somehow ever get to a Series before the Sox do, you can back up the moving trucks because this franchise will be dead on the South Side.

Lip

gosox41
01-09-2003, 06:23 PM

The problem is KW always overpays. So I'm assuming you want the Sox to either be a player in the free agent market (which means looking to catch lightning in a bottle) or stand pat. As long as KW is the GM, standing pat has been the best option.

Bob

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-09-2003, 09:05 PM
If those guys turn the corner, the Sox will be a contender for the division title (though not more). .

"Playyyyyyyoffs????????Were not goin to the playoffs!!!"

lowesox
01-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The problem is KW always overpays. So I'm assuming you want the Sox to either be a player in the free agent market (which means looking to catch lightning in a bottle) or stand pat. As long as KW is the GM, standing pat has been the best option.

Bob

It's sad. But your right. With Williams no transaction, is (pardon the english here) a little bit less bad.

Tragg
01-10-2003, 07:22 AM

That's exactly what we don't need - taking PT away from our young pitchers. What we do need is a number 2 to take pressure off of our young pitchers.
But we need a CF first, imo.

hold2dibber
01-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
That's exactly what we don't need - taking PT away from our young pitchers. What we do need is a number 2 to take pressure off of our young pitchers.

The Sox really need a no. 2 starter. But in the absence of that, they do need another dependable starter, even if it is of the no. 3 or 4 variety. The reason is that right now they have Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Rauch and Biddle. And that's all they have. If any one (or more) of these guys get hurt or don't get the job done (which almost certainly will happen), the Sox don't have anyone else to step in. They desparately need to sign another starter for some depth. The perfect solution would have been to sign Mendoza or Daal because those guys are both decent enough pitchers and both can start or work out of the pen.