PDA

View Full Version : Rozner says WSox in hunt for Colon, Vasquez

Viva Magglio
01-09-2003, 07:31 AM
It's in today's Daily Herald:

From the Daily Herald's Barry Rozner: "White Sox after Expos' pitchers?" (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp)

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Rozner claims that the Expos could use help in the rotation, in the bullpen and at first base. Reports suggest that the Expos want more than Shea Hillenbrand from the Red Sox. In light of these factors, I'm wondering what it would take for the Sox to get Colon or Vazquez. Assuming they're not willing to take on the Tatis contract (which I think would allow them to give up less to get one of the stud starters), they're going to have to give up one of the young starters. I'm hopeful that it won't be Rauch or Garland. Do people out there think that a Danny Wright, Jeff Liefer and Matt Ginter combo beat Shea Hillenbrand? If not, how about Biddle instead of Wright and/or Munoz instead of Ginter?

Dadawg_77
01-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Rozner claims that the Expos could use help in the rotation, in the bullpen and at first base. Reports suggest that the Expos want more than Shea Hillenbrand from the Red Sox. In light of these factors, I'm wondering what it would take for the Sox to get Colon or Vazquez. Assuming they're not willing to take on the Tatis contract (which I think would allow them to give up less to get one of the stud starters), they're going to have to give up one of the young starters. I'm hopeful that it won't be Rauch or Garland. Do people out there think that a Danny Wright, Jeff Liefer and Matt Ginter combo beat Shea Hillenbrand? If not, how about Biddle instead of Wright and/or Munoz instead of Ginter?

How about Konerko, Wright, Osuna, Ginter for Colon, Vlad and Tatis

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
How about Konerko, Wright, Osuna, Ginter for Colon, Vlad and Tatis

I think the Sox would also have to throw in Rauch and Borchard.

voodoochile
01-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think the Sox would also have to throw in Rauch and Borchard.

Throw in both and call it even...

dougs78
01-09-2003, 09:48 AM
(I posted this earlier in another thread, but had meant to post it here to begin with)

Having read some of the things Epstein has said about his apparently unsuccessful chase of an Expo, I'll have to say I agree. Of course I'd love to have Vazquez or Colon, but at what price? Both are good pitchers who would make us imminently more viable, but Colon only has this 1 year. My thought on this is that it would sure be hard to rationalize trading for him and "going for it this year," but while doing so, trading someone who has already been counted on to help this year. Such a move would be counterintuitive.

If we really want to go for it right now then I would propose we trade a bevy of prospects from the deep minors who shouldn't be ready to help quite this year. For that reason I would propose Honel as opposed to Jon, DAnny or Jon be the linchpin of the trade.

Of course, all this assumes that we are truly going for it this year (and that we wont' resign Colon, which I think we can agree is a pretty safe bet). My feeling has been that KW and JR are building for 2004. I have felt that they have been gunning for that year for quite some time. I think they feel their farm system should be ready to bear its true fruit that season (Garland, Wright, Borchard, Crede, Honel?) I think that it has been the motivator behind the Koch trade, and I truly feel thats why our payroll may be lower this season, becuase KW is "saving" money for next year.

For all those reasons, I think we are much more likely to see Vazquez than Colon, since he would be under contract for 2004.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-09-2003, 11:00 AM
I have to disagree with Doug.

I think KW is putting "most" of his eggs in this Expo basket. I hope for his sake that it pans out, because if it doesn't their ain't much out their to help this team from a pitching point of view. So we will see alot of young guys in our rotation.

However, Colon's signability might not be as tough as we all think. He was on the radio last week here in NY, and he was saying that whatever team he is traded to, he would like to stay their for awhile, because he is tired of moving.

I don't think 2004 is a magic year, who says those guys will come up and make an immediate impact? Garland, Wright, and all the other young guys we have brought up are still less than dependable. We need vets with a mix of young guys to win. You can't have all of either, or so it seems these days. Unless you are the Diamondbacks, and we see what happened to them last year.

NYSF