PDA

View Full Version : Nobody knows where fat boy is going

oldcomiskey
01-09-2003, 06:58 AM
a report in a Boston paper has him going to Florida and besides with the way he tried to rip off Boston, Montreals GM can keep him---don't get me wrong--Id love to have him---but at what price?

hold2dibber
01-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
a report in a Boston paper has him going to Florida and besides with the way he tried to rip off Boston, Montreals GM can keep him---don't get me wrong--Id love to have him---but at what price?

I think Minaya has overplayed his hand a bit and the asking price has to be dropping. Unless, of course, Minaya can find some witless GM who will overpay despite the fact that Minaya has painted himself into a corner.

Uh oh.

dougs78
01-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Having read some of the things Epstein has said about his apparently unsuccessful chase of an Expo, I'll have to say I agree. Of course I'd love to have Vazquez or Colon, but at what price? Both are good pitchers who would make us imminently more viable, but Colon only has this 1 year. My thought on this is that it would sure be hard to rationalize trading for him and "going for it this year," but while doing so, trading someone who has already been counted on to help this year. Such a move would be counterintuitive.

If we really want to go for it right now then I would propose we trade a bevy of prospects from the deep minors who shouldn't be ready to help quite this year. For that reason I would propose Honel as opposed to Jon, DAnny or Jon be the linchpin of the trade.

Of course, all this assumes that we are truly going for it this year (and that we wont' resign Colon, which I think we can agree is a pretty safe bet). My feeling has been that KW and JR are building for 2004. I have felt that they have been gunning for that year for quite some time. I think they feel their farm system should be ready to bear its true fruit that season (Garland, Wright, Borchard, Crede, Honel?) I think that it has been the motivator behind the Koch trade, and I truly feel thats why our payroll may be lower this season, becuase KW is "saving" money for next year.

For all those reasons, I think we are much more likely to see Vazquez than Colon, since he would be under contract for 2004.

34 Inch Stick
01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
To quote Ted Knight "You'll get nothing and like it."

If you don't like that how about Gene Hackman "I've got my team on the court."

Expect to go into the season with Rowand in center, Alomar the starting catcher and Buhrle, Garland, Wright, Biddle and Rauch starting.

kermittheefrog
01-09-2003, 03:31 PM
If Minaya was smart he would have gone into the winter meetings with an exact idea of what he wanted for Colon or Vazquez and made a deal. Now a lot of his leverage is gone. He'll end up with a much worse package than he could have gotten a month ago. On the bright side, that could make the Sox contenders.