PDA

View Full Version : If We Can't Get Colon...

whitesoxwilkes
01-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Is Finley still an acceptable option as the FA pool gets shallower?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20030108/ap-cardinals-finley.html

hold2dibber
01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
I'd still rather have Valdes or Paul Wilson, I think. But Finley wouldn't be too bad of an option at this point. However, in light of his personal issues, I'm wondering if he may try like hell to stay close to home (i.e., on the West Coast). I'm guessing that the Diamondbacks and Giants would both be willing to sign him if the price is right.

Jerry_Manuel
01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Finley. Knowing the Sox, they'd try and pass him off as a number two starter.

OfficerKarkovice
01-08-2003, 06:55 PM
I'd love to have Finley...my ideal scenario would be trading for Javier Vasquez and then signing Finley and going into the season with the rotation of:

Burly
Vasquez
Garland
Finley
Wright/Rauch/Biddle

whitesoxwilkes
01-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Karko, what do you think it'll take to get Vazquez?

OfficerKarkovice
01-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Karko, what do you think it'll take to get Vazquez?

A lot...probably the same that it would take to get Colon. Boston is in a great position with Hillenbrand. He is overrated and coming off a career year in which he made the All-Star team. If they can get one of Colon or Vazquez for him they would be robbing Montreal blind, but I could see it happening. I would like to see the Sox take on Tatis with one of the pitchers and then just let him walk at the end of the year...we could get them at a drastically reduced price, but that won't happen with Tatis' salary.

Daver
01-08-2003, 08:04 PM

Any chance of getting his ex-wife? I bet she would have a nastier mound presence..........

:)

lowesox
01-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I'd love to have Finley...my ideal scenario would be trading for Javier Vasquez and then signing Finley and going into the season with the rotation of:

Burly
Vasquez
Garland
Finley
Wright/Rauch/Biddle

I agree that Wright isn't a number 2 guy, but he isn't somebody who should have to fight for number 5 spot either. I think sometimes Sox fans are too impatient.

Daver
01-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I agree that Wright isn't a number 2 guy, but he isn't somebody who should have to fight for number 5 spot either. I think sometimes Sox fans are too impatient.

I think rotation slotting is way over rated.You pitch your best pitcher on opening day and let the rest do what they do.

whitesoxwilkes
01-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Any chance of getting his ex-wife? I bet she would have a nastier mound presence..........

:)

If the motion on her fastball is anything like the motion she shows on the top of that Jaguar in the Whitesnake video, she's got some nasty stuff.

lowesox
01-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think rotation slotting is way over rated.You pitch your best pitcher on opening day and let the rest do what they do.

I think that if the Sox were to get Vasquez (or Colon) we wouldn't need a guy like Finley. I think Wright would be a really good no. 4 guy. He won 14 games last year, there's something very positive there. Then you let Rauch, Biddle or whoever's best in spring training have the no. 5 spot.

If we don't get Colon or Vasquez, then I'm all for Finley.

My basic point though is that WhiteSox fans always draw on the negatives on young players. Guys like Lee and Wright and Garland are always taking a beating just because they don't live up to their potential immediately.

jeremyb1
01-08-2003, 09:38 PM

i'm really not a fan of finely. he's in the exact same situation as kenny rogers. he's 40 years old. sure he was pretty decent last season but he had a 5.54 era the year before that. considering his age i think its much more likely that last season was the fluke and not '01. ditto for rogers who's 38 and whose era was a whopping 6.19 in '01. you're taking a huge risk with a pitcher like that which i don't think we can afford to do after what's happened with d wells and ritchie the last couple years. at least with valdes, wilson, or suppan you know their era won't get much higher than 5. with older pitchers you'll probably get a pretty good season or a really bad one. huge struggles from our veteran starter at the beginning of the year could have a disasterous effect on this club.

lowesox
01-08-2003, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeremyb1
[B]i'm really not a fan of finely.

I agree here. A guy like Suppan is still farely young. I think he'd be just as likely to surprise everyone with a double-digit win season, as Finley would be to self destruct.

And they'd probably cost about the same thing. I'm not huge on Valdez either, mainly because I think he'd be a little more expensive (and I think he would be a bad risk.)

hold2dibber
01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think that if the Sox were to get Vasquez (or Colon) we wouldn't need a guy like Finley. I think Wright would be a really good no. 4 guy. He won 14 games last year, there's something very positive there. Then you let Rauch, Biddle or whoever's best in spring training have the no. 5 spot.

If we don't get Colon or Vasquez, then I'm all for Finley.

My basic point though is that WhiteSox fans always draw on the negatives on young players. Guys like Lee and Wright and Garland are always taking a beating just because they don't live up to their potential immediately.

But if the Sox have to give up Garland or Wright to get Vazquez or Colon (which I know you're against and, realistically, I know won't happen) then I still think they would need another starter, or they'd be going in with only five (Buehrle, Colon/Vazquez, Wright/Garland, Biddle and Rauch); they need to have at least one more viable option for the rotation, otherwise if someone gets hurt or fails, they've got no plan B.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-09-2003, 09:27 PM
If we can't have you, I don't want nobody baby. If we can't have you, ah ah ah...

Sorry, 70's moment there. Had to get it out of my system.