PDA

View Full Version : hall question

idseer
01-07-2003, 07:30 PM
would anyone here agree with me that alan trammell deserves strong consideration for the hall?

7 time .300+ seasons, .977 lifetime fielding at short, 4 time gold glove, a 6 time all-star, a 1984 world series mvp, a 20 year career, and an absolute leader for the tigers.

everyone, so far, disagrees with me on this. isn't this a pretty impressive career?

progers0826
01-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Good call. It's impossible to understand how he could be one-sixth the player of Ozzie Smith.
There was a 6-1 difference in votes last year and Trammell actually dropped this year. Where were all the voters when AL teams tip-toed into Tiger Stadium because of Trammell and Whitaker? I'm like you. I don't get it.

Daver
01-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
Good call. It's impossible to understand how he could be one-sixth the player of Ozzie Smith.
There was a 6-1 difference in votes last year and Trammell actually dropped this year. Where were all the voters when AL teams tip-toed into Tiger Stadium because of Trammell and Whitaker? I'm like you. I don't get it.

Lou Whitaker's numbers are very similar to those of Ryne Sandberg,why isn't he in? Milt Pappas has a better W/L record than Don Drysdale,why isn't he in?

The baseball HOF will remain a joke until they change the way it is voted for,as well as make drastic changes on who is allowed to vote.

progers0826
01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Come on. They've got smart guys voting. Some of them even hit four figures on the SAT.

Daver
01-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
Come on. They've got smart guys voting. Some of them even hit four figures on the SAT.

Hate to tell you this,but I hit four figures on the SAT,wait,sorry never mind,you are not refering to the Standard Aptitude Test.

:)

WinningUgly!
01-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Trammell, Sandberg & Whitaker all deserve strong consideration for the hall, but I'm not sure any of the 3 should be in. If I had to pick one it would be Trammell, because of his .450 batting average in the '84 Series.

kermittheefrog
01-08-2003, 01:14 AM
I'd say Trammell and Sandberg should both be locks. They are really suffering from the difference in batting stats in the 80's and now. Whitaker has a pretty good case but so does Bobby Grich and no one paid attention to him. Sandberg is pretty likely to be enshrined though. Can't say the same for Trammell because he is so far from being there. Maybe someone smart and prominent will start to tout the guy.

I can't believe there is so much support for Pete Rose but a lack of support for a great player like Trammell that didn't make you question the integrity of the game.

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd say Trammell and Sandberg should both be locks. I didn't watch Cubs games, so I never saw much of Sandberg beyond highlights on the 10 O'Clock news. I did think it was interesting that when John Kruk was asked about it tonight, in the context of someone who played against Sandberg, "Should Sandberg be in the Hall?" He replied "No." He said that they kept the grass long at Wrigley to make up for Sandberg's lack of range, and that he got a lot of wind-aided homers.

What I found almost insane was Tom Arnold's assertion that there is an "anti-Cub bias" among HOF voters. Please.

hose
01-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd say Trammell and Sandberg should both be locks. They are really suffering from the difference in batting stats in the 80's and now. Whitaker has a pretty good case but so does Bobby Grich and no one paid attention to him. Sandberg is pretty likely to be enshrined though. Can't say the same for Trammell because he is so far from being there. Maybe someone smart and prominent will start to tout the guy.

I can't believe there is so much support for Pete Rose but a lack of support for a great player like Trammell that didn't make you question the integrity of the game.

Sandberg is a lock
Whittaker& Trammell have a shot
Grich ...no way

Hangar18
01-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Trammell, world series mvp, HOF YES.
Sandberg, wind-blown/basket homers....HOF, no way.
If ryno makes it, its a joke, because the media
is all over him making it in. kind of like a popularity contest in
h.s.

34 Inch Stick
01-08-2003, 10:46 AM
If a great player became a manager, are managerial statistics taken into account for voting induction. It should never hurt a player, but if you are borderline as a player and legendary as a coach do you get in.

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If a great player became a manager, are managerial statistics taken into account for voting induction. It should never hurt a player, but if you are borderline as a player and legendary as a coach do you get in. Yeah, I don't think anyone would claim that Leo Durocher got in the HOF based on his playing exploits.

MarkEdward
01-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If a great player became a manager, are managerial statistics taken into account for voting induction. It should never hurt a player, but if you are borderline as a player and legendary as a coach do you get in.

I'm sure this reasoning will be used when Joe Torre is elected to the Hall.