PDA

View Full Version : Winter Leagues

OfficerKarkovice
01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
As of Jan. 3:

D'Angelo Jimenez's winter season ended last week as defending champion Licey missed the playoffs because of its fifth-place finish. In 37 games, Jimenez hit .312 (43-for-138) with 12 doubles, five homers, 31 RBIs and a .522 slugging percentage.

Arnie Munoz (4-0, 1.55 ERA, four saves) helped lead Aguilas into the playoffs, leading the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts (74). In 20 appearances, the left-hander allowed seven earned runs on 23 hits and 11 walks over 40 2/3 innings.

Damaso Marte posted an 0-1 mark with a 3.97 ERA and one save for playoff-bound Estrellas. In 12 relief appearances, Marte struck out 14 and walked three, allowing five runs on 11 hits over 11 1/3 innings.

Felix Diaz went 2-4 with a 3.50 ERA in 12 appearances for Licey, allowing 17 earned runs on 50 hits over 43 2/3 innings. He struck out 26 and walked four.

Jeff Liefer enters the final days of the Puerto Rican League schedule hitting just .188 (13-for-69) with three doubles, two home runs and 10 RBIs. In 19 games with Caguas, Liefer has 26 strikeouts and six walks . (He's such a bum and he doesn't even know it. )

Willie Harris , playing for Mayaguez, continues to rank among the league leaders in hits (48), triples (five) and runs scored (23).

Jose Valentin's average has hovered around .200 for most of the winter with Mayaguez, but he ranks among the league leaders in slugging percentage (.423), home runs (eight), extra-base hits (19), runs scored (31), doubles (10) and RBIs (20).

Kelly Wunsch has three saves and a 3.68 ERA in nine outings for Bayamon. In 7 1/3 innings, the left-hander has allowed three runs on nine hits, while striking out seven and walking six.

Antonio Osuna has not allowed a run over 13 2/3 innings in 10 relief appearances for last-place Mochis. Osuna is 1-0 with six saves, having allowed just seven hits and two walks while striking out 17.

delben91
01-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

D'Angelo Jimenez's winter season ended last week as defending champion Licey missed the playoffs because of its fifth-place finish. In 37 games, Jimenez hit .312 (43-for-138) with 12 doubles, five homers, 31 RBIs and a .522 slugging percentage.

Willie Harris , playing for Mayaguez, continues to rank among the league leaders in hits (48), triples (five) and runs scored (23).

Both of those are very nice to see. I wasn't convinced at the end of last season that Jimenez was the answer at second base, but I would love to be proven wrong on that. Wonder how he's doing on the defensive side of things?

Jerry_Manuel
01-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Jeff Liefer enters the final days of the Puerto Rican League schedule hitting just .188 (13-for-69) with three doubles, two home runs and 10 RBIs. In 19 games with Caguas, Liefer has 26 strikeouts and six walks . (He's such a bum and he doesn't even know it. )

Liefer has to go.

Daver
01-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Liefer has to go.

C'mom,the Great Ron Schueler made this guy a number one draft pick,he has to be good!

Tragg
01-07-2003, 10:17 PM
As of Jan. 3:

[B]Jeff Liefer enters the final days of the Puerto Rican League schedule hitting just .188 (13-for-69) with three doubles, two home runs and 10 RBIs. In 19 games with Caguas, Liefer has 26 strikeouts and six walks . (He's such a bum and he doesn't even know it. )

The problem isn't that Leifer doesn't know it - it's that the Sox don't know it - that .188 winter league hitter is our big bench bat for next season.

duke of dorwood
01-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Liefer has always been a competent hitter against that type of pitching. Its clear the mind games have taken a toll. He's not that bad.

SouthSideHitman
01-07-2003, 11:49 PM
As of Jan. 3:

That's great to hear (although I'd be cruious to see his OBP) this means we have two possible leadoff men, and an insurance policy for our offroading center fielder. All the pitchers just convince me further that the Sox will have one of the best bullpens in the league, we'll be sittin' pretty if we can get to the 7th or 8th.

jeremyb1
01-08-2003, 12:47 AM
after jiminez's performance, i think i'm the most excited about diaz. i still can't believe we got a legit prospect for lofton. diaz could be helping us sooner than we think.

hose
01-08-2003, 01:19 AM
As of Jan. 3:

Arnie Munoz (4-0, 1.55 ERA, four saves) helped lead Aguilas into the playoffs, leading the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts (74). In 20 appearances, the left-hander allowed seven earned runs on 23 hits and 11 walks over 40 2/3 innings.

Damaso Marte posted an 0-1 mark with a 3.97 ERA and one save for playoff-bound Estrellas. In 12 relief appearances, Marte struck out 14 and walked three, allowing five runs on 11 hits over 11 1/3 innings.

Felix Diaz went 2-4 with a 3.50 ERA in 12 appearances for Licey, allowing 17 earned runs on 50 hits over 43 2/3 innings. He struck out 26 and walked four.

Jose Valentin's average has hovered around .200 for most of the winter with Mayaguez, but he ranks among the league leaders in slugging percentage (.423), home runs (eight), extra-base hits (19), runs scored (31), doubles (10) and RBIs (20).

Kelly Wunsch has three saves and a 3.68 ERA in nine outings for Bayamon. In 7 1/3 innings, the left-hander has allowed three runs on nine hits, while striking out seven and walking six.

Antonio Osuna has not allowed a run over 13 2/3 innings in 10 relief appearances for last-place Mochis. Osuna is 1-0 with six saves, having allowed just seven hits and two walks while striking out 17.

Good info.
Arnie Munoz ....a left handed strike out artist, that will work!!

progers0826
01-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Don't overlook Andy Gonzalez, who hit .300 while sharing shortstop with old man Gabby Martinez at Ponce in Puerto Rico. He held his own against tough pitching despite his young age (he turned 21 on Dec. 15). He's a long way from Comiskey Park but is a tools guy who has performed well in rookie leagues. He's got a chance to become the first homegrown regular at shortstop since Bucky Dent. Baseball America ranks him as the organization's No. 7 prospect but with a good year in 2003 he could jump into the top three. All in all, it was an excellent winter for the Sox in winter ball. Some saw Borchard as a disappointment but it seemed to me to be similar to his showing at Charlotte -- productive even though he wasn't at his best. He skipped Puerto Rico before Christmas and should benefit greatly from a couple months' rest. Munoz must be about ready to drop.

MarkEdward
01-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
That's great to hear (although I'd be cruious to see his OBP) this means we have two possible leadoff men, and an insurance policy for our offroading center fielder. All the pitchers just convince me further that the Sox will have one of the best bullpens in the league, we'll be sittin' pretty if we can get to the 7th or 8th.

Harris' OBP is .348.

These numbers are nice and all, but are Winter League stats really a good tool to evaluate these players?

hold2dibber
01-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
after jiminez's performance, i think i'm the most excited about diaz. i still can't believe we got a legit prospect for lofton. diaz could be helping us sooner than we think.

I hope you're right, but he gave up a lot of hits (50 in 43 IP). But I agree he has a shot, which is more than I can say of the guy we got for Durham.

hold2dibber
01-08-2003, 03:09 PM
As of Jan. 3:

Thanks much for the update, OffKark.

A few questions for those in the know about Munoz:

(1) How old is he?
(2) To what do scouts attribute his recent success - great stuff or great pitching instincts? In other words, does he have wicked stuff or does he just know how to pitch (like Buehrle)?
(3) Does he have a legitimate shot of being an effective major leaguer in '03?
(4) Any chance he will, ultimately, be a starter in the majors, or is his future definitely in the bullpen?

Vsahajpal
01-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Thanks much for the update, OffKark.

A few questions for those in the know about Munoz:

(1) How old is he?
(2) To what do scouts attribute his recent success - great stuff or great pitching instincts? In other words, does he have wicked stuff or does he just know how to pitch (like Buehrle)?
(3) Does he have a legitimate shot of being an effective major leaguer in '03?
(4) Any chance he will, ultimately, be a starter in the majors, or is his future definitely in the bullpen?

Munoz is 20 years old, and won't turn 21 until next June.

He has a wicked curveball, it is beyond filthy and complements with an ML average fastball, sinker, and change. With a good camp, he could find himself with a bullpen job. If not, he'll likely begin at Charlotte. As it stands, he's a reliever, and I think more than likely he'll stay there.

progers0826
01-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Munoz is reported at 20 (will turn 21 at midseason) and did not have his age adjusted upward during last year's Dominican crackdown. His best pitch is a huge, sweeping curveball -- think Barry Zito -- but his other pitches are good, too. There have been reports he's added a screwball this winter but I'm not sure about that. My guess is that he could arrive in July and help the Sox in the second half of 2003 (provided his arm doesn't fall off), kind of like Buehrle did in 2000. Because of his size (5-9) and hellaciously quick arm speed, stamina is an issue. The Sox seem content with him as a middle reliever but I see no reason why he couldn't move into the rotation down the line, say after a couple of years in the bullpen. He's got the collection of pitches to be an oustanding starter. But he is very young now and has moved through the system rapidly. He pitched at low-A Kannapolis in 2001 before skipping a level to Birmingham in '02. The Sox should handle him carefully. He could be a force in the second half of this decade.

hold2dibber
01-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks to Vic and Progers.