PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway the Sox could get Beltran

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 02:31 PM
I think he will be gone from Kansas City by the end of August. He would make a nice fit in center for this team. Also at 25 if he develops some more plate discipline, he would become a great player. He made 3.5 last year and is one year from UFA so it may be a rent a player so depending on what we give up it might be worth it.

kermittheefrog
01-07-2003, 02:46 PM
No way we'll get him, he'll go to Oakland for Chris Singleton and and a loser to be named later.

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
No way we'll get him, he'll go to Oakland for Chris Singleton and and a loser to be named later.

You mean talk up your player publicly so you won't decrease their value. Kansas City has been a AAA team for Oakland so it wouldn't surprise me but I would love for the Sox to get him.

hold2dibber
01-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

No, it will be a three team deal where Oakland gets Beltran, K.C. gets Singleton, and the White Sox pay both of their salaries.

Seriously, I would absolutely love to have Beltran, but I would guess that the Royals would be reluctant to trade him within the division. Plus, I would think the Royals would ask for quite a bit in return. My guess is that he would cost Webster, either Harris or Rowand, and a good young pitcher (Rauch, Honel, Ring, Biddle, Garland, Wright).

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
No, it will be a three team deal where Oakland gets Beltran, K.C. gets Singleton, and the White Sox pay both of their salaries.

Seriously, I would absolutely love to have Beltran, but I would guess that the Royals would be reluctant to trade him within the division. Plus, I would think the Royals would ask for quite a bit in return. My guess is that he would cost Webster, either Harris or Rowand, and a good young pitcher (Rauch, Honel, Ring, Biddle, Garland, Wright).

Honestly, why would the Royals care about trading him within the Divison? It is not like they will contend for anything in the next decade or so.

RKMeibalane
01-07-2003, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't mind having Beltran on the team, but I think his presence on the roster would depend on what the Sox do with Carlos Lee.

As of now, Lee is the starting leftfielder. The plan is for Rowand to play center until Borchard is ready. There would be no place for Beltran once LTP was promoted. However, if Lee is traded sometime in the near future, Beltran might be worth considering. He could play center, in between Borchard and Ordonez. That's not a bad outfield.

I'm not sure where he would be place in the lineup. As I type this, my skin is crawling, because I'm having visions of Manuel "tinkering" with the lineup. I'm sure he would move Beltran all over the place, dpeneding on the mood he was in when filling out the lineup card.

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I wouldn't mind having Beltran on the team, but I think his presence on the roster would depend on what the Sox do with Carlos Lee.

As of now, Lee is the starting leftfielder. The plan is for Rowand to play center until Borchard is ready. There would be no place for Beltran once LTP was promoted. However, if Lee is traded sometime in the near future, Beltran might be worth considering. He could play center, in between Borchard and Ordonez. That's not a bad outfield.

I'm not sure where he would be place in the lineup. As I type this, my skin is crawling, because I'm having visions of Manuel "tinkering" with the lineup. I'm sure he would move Beltran all over the place, dpeneding on the mood he was in when filling out the lineup card.

Beltran is better then Rowand. He is a free agent at the end of this year. LTP will probally be reay next year. If you can get Beltran cheaply, then bring him in for a stop gap til LTP is ready. Then next year either trade Lee and retain Beltran or let Beltran go.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Beltran's agent is Scott Boras.

Say good night everybody...

Lip

RedPinStripes
01-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

HA! No chance.

:reinsy
I dont deal with anyone who wont kiss my ass.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

LMAO! Good one!!!!

:)

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Thanks a lot Lip. Just ruin my dream now won't you. :whiner:

michigan84
01-08-2003, 02:00 AM
I don't know if KC would trade Beltran. Aren't they trying to sign him to an extension. If memory serves me, he just rejected a 3 year deal worth like 25 million because he wants a 2 year deal. But KC is in trouble financially. Although they are looking to deal Randa, not Beltran. And if Sweeney leaves because of the clause in his contract that ihe can leave if the team is not at .500 (they won't be), Beltran is really all they have. I can't imagine that they would give him up. However, Allard Baird has made some stupid trades (he's right up there on the worst GMs in the game list, of course after our own joker, Lenny). KC might be so desperate to reduce payroll that they might have to deal him. However, like someone said it would be stupid to trade him in the division where they would have to face him 19 times a year. Oakland would be sure to get him! That was great whoever posted that OAK would get him for Singleton and a bum!

Lip Man 1
01-08-2003, 01:12 PM
The Royals have been ordered to slash payroll by their owner David Glass (even though he is heir to the Wal Mart fortune and is getting 20 million in revenue sharing money this season.)

It was reported at the Winter Meetings that they are shopping Beltran because he can become a free agent after the 2004 season. His agent is Scott Boras, and Boras' philosophy is to have his clients reject any long term deals and take the free agent route.

The Royals feel if they are going to get anything for Beltran it has to be this year since teams will have them over a barrell next year, knowing that Beltran walks after the 04 season.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
01-09-2003, 02:08 PM
The only Beltran we will be seeing is Esteban making his triumphal return to the Sox.

kermittheefrog
01-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The only Beltran we will be seeing is Esteban making his triumphal return to the Sox.

Thats Esteban Beltre.

34 Inch Stick
01-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Ooops. Missed it by that much.