PDA

View Full Version : I hate stupid Cubs fans

ChiSox1983
01-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey White Sox fans. Yeah I know I a Flub fan but there is alot I agree with you guys on. My pal is a regular on this message board and he tells me what stupid Flub fans put on here so let me clear up some of us who actually go to Wrigley to watch the Cubs and know when they suck.
1) the Cubs havent won anything of importance since 1908 hell even 1989. 1998 was just lucky we could have lost that playoff spot when Brant Brown dropped that fly ball in a pivital game against the Pirates. Therefor we got nothing to cheer about.
2) I like Wrigley Field but my theory is this The Cubs will not be in another World Series untill they tear the old "shrine" its going to come down anyway just bring in the wrecking ball now!!
3) I am not going to compare rosters Cubs vs Sox its just plain stupid come on Konerko or Karros?? Sosa vs Ordenez?? please thats like comparing the 85 Bears to the 02 Bears just plain stupid.
4) I hate SamME Sosa. I pray that Andy McPhail trades that "big wiffa" the guy thinks that he can hit 50-60 HR's a season and his job is done ha I remember when the Sox traded him to us I liked him then stole bases tried everyday now his therory is "uhh if I drop that fly ball I will make it up by hitting a HR witch usually ends up as a damn strikeout uggh #21 is a joke.

wulfy
01-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Ah yes ... the self-loathing Cub fan. Freud would have a field day with you.

Iwritecode
01-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ChiCubs1984
My pal is a regular on this message board

I guess I better own up to it... That would be me.

Yes, he is a Cubs fan but at least he is not one of the sheep who flock to Wrigley every year to sit in the sun and drink beer and watch women. He's actually one of the few who would be able to tell you the score and who's playing first base if you asked him. (I believe Vic is about the only other one who could do that...)

It's funny with his hatred of Wrigley and Shammy, you would almost think that deep down there's a Sox fan in there somewhere. Maybe I'll get him to convert when I bring him to Soxfest. (Check the Soxfest thread for more details about that)

Ayways, as the mods always like to say, Welcome aboard!!!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Hangar18
01-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Hey ChiCubs84.
You wouldnt be the first cub fan to convert.
its funny, never thought id meet people who were former
cub fans, then changed over, but ive met them.
my old roommate was a cub fan...now cheers for both of them,
and goes to as many sox games as cub games.
I can see him changing over completely in a couple years (quicker if the sox ever won anything) or staying both if the cubs
won this year.
Heres hoping you'll convert.
I have a feeling you will, becuase it sounds like your fairly
bright and knowledgable about the game (standard for Sox fans)

WinningUgly!
01-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Hey White Sox fans. Yeah I know I a Flub fan but there is alot I agree with you guys on. My pal is a regular on this message board and he tells me what stupid Flub fans put on here so let me clear up some of us who actually go to Wrigley to watch the Cubs and know when they suck.
1) the Cubs havent won anything of importance since 1908 hell even 1989. 1998 was just lucky we could have lost that playoff spot when Brant Brown dropped that fly ball in a pivital game against the Pirates. Therefor we got nothing to cheer about.
2) I like Wrigley Field but my theory is this The Cubs will not be in another World Series untill they tear the old "shrine" its going to come down anyway just bring in the wrecking ball now!!
3) I am not going to compare rosters Cubs vs Sox its just plain stupid come on Konerko or Karros?? Sosa vs Ordenez?? please thats like comparing the 85 Bears to the 02 Bears just plain stupid.
4) I hate SamME Sosa. I pray that Andy McPhail trades that "big wiffa" the guy thinks that he can hit 50-60 HR's a season and his job is done ha I remember when the Sox traded him to us I liked him then stole bases tried everyday now his therory is "uhh if I drop that fly ball I will make it up by hitting a HR witch usually ends up as a damn strikeout uggh #21 is a joke.

Welcome aboard.

BTW, Brant Brown's dropped flyball was against the Brewers. I remember it well for some reason. http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

voodoochile
01-07-2003, 10:40 AM

Hey, welcome aboard. I guess you really are a FOF (Friend of Flubbies) not just a FOW (Friend of Wrigley). Anyone IWC vouches for is alright with me...

hold2dibber
01-07-2003, 10:42 AM
I grew up around Wrigley, so I know plenty of Cubs fans. I actually respect true Cubs fans, the ones who know baseball. I have a great time talking baseball with knowledgeable Cub fans (or knowledgeable Indians fans, etc.); its great to get a different perspective. My theory is that Chicago has a comparable number of true Cubs and true Sox fans. But virtually all "band wagon" jumper types have jumped on the Cubs band wagon, because it's "hip" to do so. My Cubs fan friends loathe the drunken frat boy and yuppie crowd that fills Wrigley, but love the Cubs nonetheless.

Makes me wonder; if somehow the Sox became the "hot ticket" in town, and the same morons who filled Wrigley started filling Comiskey, how would it effect (affect?) my feelings about the Sox? I think it would annoy me, but not to the point where it would change my love for the Sox. In fact, this did occur to a limited extent in the early '90s when the Sox routinely drew big crowds and I could never get lower deck seats and people started doing the wave during games.

Iwritecode
01-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey ChiCubs84.
I can see him changing over completely in a couple years (quicker if the sox ever won anything) or staying both if the cubs
won this year.

I've been trying for 20 years Hangar. I think we might be too late now. You can ask Voodoo about converting though. Or even RDIVALDI who is registered here but post mainly on the troll board. You have to catch them while they are still young. I think true Cub fans are pretty much like true Sox fans. Like PHG's sig says, They still care, but they aren't sure why...

jortafan
01-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Makes me wonder; if somehow the Sox became the "hot ticket" in town, and the same morons who filled Wrigley started filling Comiskey, how would it effect (affect?) my feelings about the Sox?

Don't worry. It won't ever happen. Most of those people who make Wrigley Field a particularly annoying place are the north lakefront crowd who rarely venture out of their neighborhoods, and would NEVER be seen anywhere south of Roosevelt Road. I'm convinced that if the Cubs played in a ballpark in a northwest side neighborhood that was the equivalent of Bridgeport (Jefferson Park, for example), then they wouldn't draw more than 20,000 per game, and so-called Cubs fans would merely think of baseball as an UN-hip thing that losers follow.

Vsahajpal
01-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hey, welcome aboard. I guess you really are a FOF (Friend of Flubbies) not just a FOW (Friend of Wrigley). Anyone IWC vouches for is alright with me...

He's a true fan because he incoherently bashes the team? C'mon VC!

jeremyb1
01-07-2003, 01:01 PM

welcome aboard. the world needs more of you or at least less of the lesser cub fans.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey ChiCubs84.
won this year.

Just, think a new tagline:

WSI: Conventing Flubbie Faithful one fan at a time.

Iwritecode
01-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Actually, I think he was trying to dispell the idea that all Cub fans think that Wrigley is a "shrine" and that Shammy is the second coming who will lead them all to the promised land.

pudge
01-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Don't worry. It won't ever happen. Most of those people who make Wrigley Field a particularly annoying place are the north lakefront crowd who rarely venture out of their neighborhoods, and would NEVER be seen anywhere south of Roosevelt Road. I'm convinced that if the Cubs played in a ballpark in a northwest side neighborhood that was the equivalent of Bridgeport (Jefferson Park, for example), then they wouldn't draw more than 20,000 per game, and so-called Cubs fans would merely think of baseball as an UN-hip thing that losers follow.

True, it won't happen, but it's a great question - what if it DID? What if, suddenly, the roles were reversed? A lot of us became Sox fans because the Sox were the anti-Cubs. I honestly don't know how I'd feel. I think I would slowly lose my alligence and move over to the Cubs if the roles were reversed. I just love the Sox *because* they don't have the annoying fans, media bias, and terrible old crusty park that everyone thinks is a shrine. I don't think I could love them if they were suddenly the "yuppie" team. But again, it's never gonna happen, so I don't have to worry!

voodoochile
01-07-2003, 03:52 PM

No, he's a true fan because he wants the team to win and doesn't buy into the hype that constantly surrounds your lovable losers, Vic. I was merely pointing out that I recognize the difference between a fan of the team (FOF) and a fan of the stadium/bleachers/atmosphere/neighborhood bars (FOW). I am taking his word and IWC's word that he is the former and not the latter. Personally I agree with some of what he says and I would think that many true fans would feel the same way. For example, my roommate is a true blue flubbies fan (or was before he quit MLB this last Summer) and he wants ShamME gone, gone, gone.

You should know me better than that, but in truth, an honest mind about the flubbies acknowledges the generations of futility that accompanys the team and doesn't run from that fact. It is almost a prerequisite for fans of other teams posting on this site - the ability to acknowledge your own teams problems...

Hangar18
01-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Actually, I think he was trying to dispell the idea that all Cub fans think that Wrigley is a "shrine" and that Shammy is the second coming who will lead them all to the promised land.

I thought Kerry Wood was supposed to Lead them to the Promised Land?? remember all that talk?
no wait....
Mark Prior is their Saviour now.....hes going to lead them to the promised land....
Wait a sec...
No, Dusty Baker is the Messiah...
Hes going to lead them to the Promised Land.......

Hangar18
01-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I Dont dispel the notion that there are some true
Cub fans out there, I know there are a couple of them around, Ive met them.
But Im not going to praise them either,,,, because Frankly, ive met them and Ive found the great majority
of Cub Fans to be Imbiciles. Mind you, I didnt just jump to that conclusion, its taken years of interacting and observing them.
They've had it way worse than we do folks, lets not kid ourselves.
that team stinks. We stink and its by our own hand (JR)

"Cubs Baseball...Curse Once Inflicted, Can Never Be Lifted"

RedPinStripes
01-07-2003, 05:40 PM

I like this guy! :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2003, 06:07 PM
When I started WSI back in 1998, I hoped it would become a magnet for intelligent Sox Fans. I never would have thought it possible that it could become a magnet for intelligent Cub fans, too.

Talk about finding a needle in the haystack!

:)

RedPinStripes
01-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
When I started WSI back in 1998, I hoped it would become a magnet for intelligent Sox Fans. I never would have thought it possible that it could become a magnet for intelligent Cub fans, too.

Talk about finding a needle in the haystack!

LOL! This guy almost sounds like he's ready to convert. :cool:

Daver
01-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
When I started WSI back in 1998, I hoped it would become a magnet for intelligent Sox Fans.

Bet you never thought you would get stuck with semi intelligent rednecks that collect broken floor drain covers from New Comiskey Park............................

RedPinStripes
01-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Bet you never thought you would get stuck with semi intelligent rednecks that collect broken floor drain covers from New Comiskey Park............................

And 13 broken down cars on the front lawn. :redneck

DrCrawdad
01-07-2003, 06:37 PM
"Stupid Cub fans"?

Redundancy alert!

:woo-woo

Vsahajpal
01-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, he's a true fan because he wants the team to win and doesn't buy into the hype that constantly surrounds your lovable losers, Vic. I was merely pointing out that I recognize the difference between a fan of the team (FOF) and a fan of the stadium/bleachers/atmosphere/neighborhood bars (FOW). I am taking his word and IWC's word that he is the former and not the latter. Personally I agree with some of what he says and I would think that many true fans would feel the same way. For example, my roommate is a true blue flubbies fan (or was before he quit MLB this last Summer) and he wants ShamME gone, gone, gone.

You should know me better than that, but in truth, an honest mind about the flubbies acknowledges the generations of futility that accompanys the team and doesn't run from that fact. It is almost a prerequisite for fans of other teams posting on this site - the ability to acknowledge your own teams problems...

I'm a true fan, VC, whether you think so or not. Sammy Sosa is not the problem with this ballclub. This "Wrigley Field" theory is absolutely asinine.

In truth, I've acknowledged the perpetual mediocrity that has defined the club, but to pin that mediocrity on the shoulders of Sosa is patently stupid.

moochpuppy
01-08-2003, 01:25 PM

In truth, I've acknowledged the perpetual mediocrity that has defined the club, but to pin that mediocrity on the shoulders of Sosa is patently stupid.

I gotta agree with Vic here. The problem with the Cubs is the ineptitude of Ownership and Management over the years on spending and personnel decisions (and that goat, God love'em). If Sammy was off this club the team becomes worse, not better.

voodoochile
01-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm a true fan, VC, whether you think so or not. Sammy Sosa is not the problem with this ballclub. This "Wrigley Field" theory is absolutely asinine.

And I have never said nor implied otherwise. I respect your opinion. I do know for a fact that there are other flubbie faithful who think part of the problem with the franchise is the guaranteed profit from Wrigley Field and the adoration of ShamME and his never ending quest to hit one to the Moon. Doesn't make them right, but CC1984 is not the only one who feels that way. It also doesn't mean it is the only way of looking at things either...

I have always thought you were extremely objective in your analysis of all things in MLB including your boys of summer - and yes the other poster was correct, I used to root root root for the flubbies and then I realized they suck, they always have sucked and barring a miracle, they always will suck - of course now MY bias is showing. So I switched teams and never looked back...

Not trying to say anything bad about flubbie fans as a whole, but you know that going to Wrigley to drink beer and sit in the bleachers has become a hot thing in the last decade and those people are NOT fans of the flubbies, but Fans of Wrigley (the experience). CC1984 strikes me more as a fan of the team who knows something about them and actually cares about the outcome of the games - as do you. Not trying to say anyone is a better fan than the other, but clearly both of you are fans of the team and not bandwagon jumpers...

Iwritecode
01-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I gotta agree with Vic here. The problem with the Cubs is the ineptitude of Ownership and Management over the years on spending and personnel decisions (and that goat, God love'em). If Sammy was off this club the team becomes worse, not better.

Stop and think about this for a second. Take away Shammy and Wrigley from the Cubs and what do you have left? A bad team with a high payroll that can't draw fans. Right now those are the two biggest draws for the team and the ownership knows it. So basically all they have to do is sign a few over-priced, over-the-hill veterans to get the Flubbie faithful whipped up into a frenzy about how "this year is the year" and they can sit back and rake in the dough the whole time. Maybe if the fans quit flocking to enjoy the "experience" every year the ownership will get the point that maybe they need to put something on the field that actually worthwhile. I admit that seem to have been doing a little better the last couple of years but the incentive to win just seems so small when the park is so full night in and night out...

Vsahajpal
01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Stop and think about this for a second. Take away Shammy and Wrigley from the Cubs and what do you have left? A bad team with a high payroll that can't draw fans. Right now those are the two biggest draws for the team and the ownership knows it. So basically all they have to do is sign a few over-priced, over-the-hill veterans to get the Flubbie faithful whipped up into a frenzy about how "this year is the year" and they can sit back and rake in the dough the whole time. Maybe if the fans quit flocking to enjoy the "experience" every year the ownership will get the point that maybe they need to put something on the field that actually worthwhile. I admit that seem to have been doing a little better the last couple of years but the incentive to win just seems so small when the park is so full night in and night out...

Incentive to win? What the hell is the incentive to lose? Wrigley Field and Sosa are simply not the problem. I don't care if Sosa is trying to hit one to the moon, year in and year out he's an elite player. It's the supporting cast, and the problem has been management's inability to find the right personnel. They've spent money, they lead their division with the highest payroll, they just don't spend wisely. They invest more in player development than most teams, building facilities in Latin America, mining the Pacific Rim, and maintaining an extensive scouting network. Meanwhile, other teams have virtually no presence in L.A., Asia, and save money by scrapping minor league Fall Instrux.

Clearly they're trying to lose, right?

Iwritecode
01-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Incentive to win? What the hell is the incentive to lose? Wrigley Field and Sosa are simply not the problem. I don't care if Sosa is trying to hit one to the moon, year in and year out he's an elite player. It's the supporting cast, and the problem has been management's inability to find the right personnel. They've spent money, they lead their division with the highest payroll, they just don't spend wisely. They invest more in player development than most teams, building facilities in Latin America, mining the Pacific Rim, and maintaining an extensive scouting network. Meanwhile, other teams have virtually no presence in L.A., Asia, and save money by scrapping minor league Fall Instrux.

I never said that they are trying to lose. It's just that since everyone seems to be going to this "make money first, win second" attitude here lately, it seems to me that there is less of an incentive to win when you are already making money. The same can be said about JR and his attendance clause with the stadium. Why bother trying to draw fans when you are getting guaranteed money if not enough show up? I agree that the Cubs do spend a lot of money and spend it unwisely. I just think that after all these years they would step back and figure out that what they are doing isn't working and obviously it's time to try something different. As long as the money keeps pouring in, I'm not sure they ever will. Same goes with JR.

DrCrawdad
01-08-2003, 05:47 PM
In my experience there are many true Cub fans. I grew up on the southside, and in my circle of friends there were a few Cub fans. Sure we razzed each other once in a while but that was about it.

Incentive to win? What the hell is the incentive to lose? Wrigley Field and Sosa are simply not the problem. I don't care if Sosa is trying to hit one to the moon, year in and year out he's an elite player. It's the supporting cast, and the problem has been management's inability to find the right personnel. They've spent money, they lead their division with the highest payroll, they just don't spend wisely…

Sammy is one helluva slugger. I don't blame Sammy for the Cubs troubles.

I read and enjoyed the book, "The One In A Million Team”. The author George Castle laid the blame at the same problems as you’ve mentioned.

…They invest more in player development than most teams, building facilities in Latin America, mining the Pacific Rim, and maintaining an extensive scouting network...

Didn’t the Cubs lose their Asian rim scout? Did they replace him?

How many players, other than Bok Choi, have they “mined” from Asia? IIRC they signed a young pitcher, but have there been any others?

…They invest more in player development than most teams, building facilities in Latin America, mining the Pacific Rim, and maintaining an extensive scouting network. Meanwhile, other teams have virtually no presence in L.A., Asia, and save money by scrapping minor league Fall Instrux.

Vic, did I just read a shot at the White Sox?

I enjoy your comments here Vic, even though you’re a silly Cub fan. :D:

- DrCrawdad.

Vsahajpal
01-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Leon Lee was the roving scout, and he took a job as a coach over there I believe. Since `99, they've signed Choi, Ryu, and Kweon, and have a lot of support in Korea.

Not a shot at the Sox, as they've done pretty well in L.A. But the majority of teams have little, if any, influence there.

I just think that after all these years they would step back and figure out that what they are doing isn't working and obviously it's time to try something different. As long as the money keeps pouring in, I'm not sure they ever will. Same goes with JR. (IWC)

I think they're starting to do so, they have a strong farm which will help. I'm a bit perplexed by Hendry's offseason thus far, though. He'll have to replace many of the spare parts he brought in.

kingkirk04
01-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Hey everyone, I posted back in the regular season. I'm a Cub fan.

1) I hate Sammy Sosa. He literally said "I love myself" in an interview a couple of weeks ago. He's a tired circus act.

2) I hate management. What's to like about a bunch of guys who would rather go to court and fight rooftop owners than fix a baseball team?

3) I hate most Cubs fans. The ones who try to make sense of horrible signings like Paul Bako, or taking on an extra 7 million in payroll JUST to trade Todd Hundley.

4) I hate Ronnie Woo-Woo, but I guess he is the perfect representation of the product on the field, because he is afterall a friggin' bum.

TornLabrum
01-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04

1) I hate Sammy Sosa. He literally said "I love myself" in an interview a couple of weeks ago. He's a tired circus act.

2) I hate management. What's to like about a bunch of guys who would rather go to court and fight rooftop owners than fix a baseball team?

3) I hate most Cubs fans. The ones who try to make sense of horrible signings like Paul Bako, or taking on an extra 7 million in payroll JUST to trade Todd Hundley.

4) I hate Ronnie Woo-Woo, but I guess he is the perfect representation of the product on the field, because he is afterall a friggin' bum.

So why exactly are you a Cubs fan? You apparently hate everything about them. You are perfectly welcome to share our lesser degree of suffering. If our ownership and management don't care, at least the fans do.

Vsahajpal
01-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by kingkirk04

1). I'm all for acquiring tired circus acts if they'll put up a 1.000+ OPS

2). Hendry and Stockstill

3). Why is signing Bako horrible? Every team needs a backup catcher, preferably one not named Girardi. Regarding Hundley, I wasn't aware his $6.5 MM will evaporate into thin air in 2004.

4). Who doesn't?