PDA

View Full Version : cards sign eldred and...

mike squires
01-07-2003, 06:37 AM
my ffather in law called last night to inform me the cardinals signed 3 former sox players to minor league deals...cal eldred, john snyder and some carlos dude i'd never heard of. after hearing those three names explains my "affection" for dave burba. watch eldred win another 12 in a cards uniform.

Blueprint1
01-07-2003, 08:02 AM
I also liked Eldred when he was in a sox uniform. It is not like the Sox just didnt sign the man when he was at the top of his game. I believe doctors said he would be unable to pitch again. He stayed on the sox pay for almost a whole season without pitching. I bet if you were to talk to him he would have nothing bad to say about the sox. I believe we treated him good before he left town. I think it would be nice to see him make it back with the Cards. I have total respect for the guy.

hold2dibber
01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
my ffather in law called last night to inform me the cardinals signed 3 former sox players to minor league deals...cal eldred, john snyder and some carlos dude i'd never heard of. after hearing those three names explains my "affection" for dave burba. watch eldred win another 12 in a cards uniform.

Mike, despite the fact that one of my favorite Sox memories is watching "you" hoist up the '83 division championship penant up on the roof at the old ball park, I cannot sit idly by and let a Dave Burbe reference pass without comment! He's horrible! I simply cannot understand why would you rather have him over Paul Wilson or Ismael Valdes, or someone else who has actually been able to retire hitters over the last two years.

As to Eldred, I hope he makes it back. I really liked and respected the guy. If he had stayed healthy, I think '01 and '02 might have been very different for the White Sox.

MisterB
01-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
my ffather in law called last night to inform me the cardinals signed 3 former sox players to minor league deals...cal eldred, john snyder and some carlos dude i'd never heard of.

That would be Carlos Chantres, who was 4-5, 4.90 for the Knights last season. The Cards also signed former Sox pitcher Al Levine (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030106&content_id=189807&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp) .