PDA

View Full Version : What is Kenny Williams' trading strategy?


michigan84
01-07-2003, 02:16 AM
I just don't get it! All these pitchers he is trading for are stiffs! Why does this guy only acquire washed up vetrans with no potential? While all the other GMs are acquiring young players that are performing, KW is acquiring Ritchie, Adkins (sp?), Cotts etc. These guys either suck in the minors (I don't even want to see them in the majors) or are total busts at the MLB level (see Ritchie). He is selling off all of the young farm talent to satisfy this strange attraction he has to has-beens or never-will-bes. While every other club looks to get younger, KW seeks to get older! Go figure!

Another thing that gets me is he thinks if a pitcher throws hard he will be good. All these guys he is trading for are pitchers who throw hard. He is sacrificing talent for mph. Just because you can throw hard does not mean you will be a successful pitcher. Plenty of pitchers who throw slow are succeeding in the majors. It's not how fast you throw, but where you place the pitches, Kenny!

These horrible trades have already started to backfire. Sending Fogg and Wells to the Pirates saved their season and he could just as easily be voted Oakland's man of the year. This guy has no clue as to what he is doing. He gives up too much to acquire too little. I have no idea why every GM in the major leagues is not trading with this moron as he is fleeced in practically every deal. Please fire him now! Save the Sox!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Kenny's strategy is simple. Keep payroll within JR's budget.

If KW has finally gotten over his fixation with aging veterans, we might improve on our 81 wins. If not, look out below!

Either way, I wouldn't be blocking time next October for watching a Sox World Series.

soxtalker
01-07-2003, 10:12 AM
KW wants to win soon and is aggressive, so he goes after veterans. I'd guess that a majority of people on this board would agree with that strategy as opposed to working with the minor league system. I've seen many postings complaining that you can't be assured that an uproven player from the minor leagues will ever make it at the major league level. (Personally, I'd rather work through the minor league system, but I understand and respect the arguments that the others make.) However, as PHG points out, KW can't go after the top free agents (or trades) because of salary constraints. It looks to me that, like Schueler, after his first few "big" trades/signings didn't work out, he's becoming a bit more cautious.

duke of dorwood
01-07-2003, 10:18 AM
The strategy is sleep sleep sleep. Wake up when whats left is cheap and a risk.

hold2dibber
01-07-2003, 10:34 AM
The problem I have with KW's approach (in light of the budget constraints imposed by JR) is that he does not use his payroll dollars wisely. Last year the Sox paid approximately $9 or $10 million to Clayton, Alomar Jr. and Ritchie. All three of whom are easily replaceable with guys who make much, much less. Those dollars could have been used to pay a front line, top of the rotation starting pitcher (and, in fact, now that last year's payroll has been reduced, I am disgusted by the fact that they haven't gone out and obtained such a pitcher this off season). When you have a limited budget, you simply cannot pay big money to average veterans when you could get similar performance for much less. You have to save up your money for real difference makers and then use young or otherwise cheap guys to plug the holes. As an example, after the A's lost Giambi last off season, did they go out and spend big $ for an overrated veteran like Tino Martinez? No, they picked up Scott Spiezo on the cheap, and he produced better numbers for less than Tino did for the Cardinals. That's the approach the Sox have to take. If they do this, they can afford to take on the salary of a Colon or a Maddux to get them over the hump.

gosox41
01-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by michigan84
I just don't get it! All these pitchers he is trading for are stiffs! Why does this guy only acquire washed up vetrans with no potential? While all the other GMs are acquiring young players that are performing, KW is acquiring Ritchie, Adkins (sp?), Cotts etc. These guys either suck in the minors (I don't even want to see them in the majors) or are total busts at the MLB level (see Ritchie). He is selling off all of the young farm talent to satisfy this strange attraction he has to has-beens or never-will-bes. While every other club looks to get younger, KW seeks to get older! Go figure!

Another thing that gets me is he thinks if a pitcher throws hard he will be good. All these guys he is trading for are pitchers who throw hard. He is sacrificing talent for mph. Just because you can throw hard does not mean you will be a successful pitcher. Plenty of pitchers who throw slow are succeeding in the majors. It's not how fast you throw, but where you place the pitches, Kenny!

These horrible trades have already started to backfire. Sending Fogg and Wells to the Pirates saved their season and he could just as easily be voted Oakland's man of the year. This guy has no clue as to what he is doing. He gives up too much to acquire too little. I have no idea why every GM in the major leagues is not trading with this moron as he is fleeced in practically every deal. Please fire him now! Save the Sox!

:KW
You Sox fans just don't get it. I'm a charitable guy. When I make a trade, my goal is to give up as much as possible while hoping to get as little as possible in return.

voodoochile
01-07-2003, 10:52 AM
1)Cheap and POTENTIALLY successful.

2)Try to land a big name (Canseco, Baines, Wells, Clayton) when making an acquisition either by trade or FA signing. Who cares if they are old and broken down - they must be recognizable so the fans will think he is doing something.

3)Trade as much money off the roster as possible as soon as possible, even if it means paying some of those salaries.

4)Never acquire a SP at the deadline when you can dump salaries instead.

5)Watch JR's wallet first and foremost.

6)Whatever gets KW's name in the newspaper.

Ventura23Fan
01-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
As an example, after the A's lost Giambi last off season, did they go out and spend big $ for an overrated veteran like Tino Martinez? No, they picked up Scott Spiezo on the cheap, and he produced better numbers for less than Tino did for the Cardinals.

Did you mean to say Scott Hatteberg? Spiezio is on the Angels.

hold2dibber
01-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
Did you mean to say Scott Hatteberg? Spiezio is on the Angels.

Yes I did. Thanks for the correction.

Dadawg_77
01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Voodoo, you forgot number seven

7) Have secretary double check the names of player to be traded.


The Sox like a bunch of other major league teams are to enamored with radar gun readings. Plus they draft to many high school pitchers, honestly more and more the philosophy of drafting only college pitchers seems to right.

But now I am not sure it is entirely Kenny fault, and the no matter who is in charge they will fail unless they change the philosophy behind the Sox management. Kenny was brought up through the team's system and maybe fresh blood, even if its only at an advisory level, needs to be brought in to freshen up the thinking going on at 35 and Shields.

voodoochile
01-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Voodoo, you forgot number seven

7) Have secretary double check the names of player to be traded.


The Sox like a bunch of other major league teams are to enamored with radar gun readings. Plus they draft to many high school pitchers, honestly more and more the philosophy of drafting only college pitchers seems to right.

But now I am not sure it is entirely Kenny fault, and the no matter who is in charge they will fail unless they change the philosophy behind the Sox management. Kenny was brought up through the team's system and maybe fresh blood, even if its only at an advisory level, needs to be brought in to freshen up the thinking going on at 35 and Shields.

Is #7 actually part of the philosophy? I guess it better be now. As to the rest of your post it won't happen until some of us at WSI get our wish...

:selljerry