PDA

View Full Version : Only 2 players signed beyond 2003

Foulke You
01-06-2003, 03:34 PM
from Whitesox.com:

"40-man roster update: Of the 37 players currently on the Sox's 40-man roster, nine are now signed for next season, but Magglio Ordonez (2004) and Konerko (2005) are the only players currently signed beyond 2003.

The club retains the rights to players not yet signed for 2003. "

I guess a lot depends on how we do in 2003 whether Reinsy decides to "rebuild" again and tear this whole thing down.

:reinsy
"Whatever we do beyond 2003, it will be fiscally responsible"

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 03:45 PM
I don't think that's much different than this offseason. I think that as of the end of the '02 campaign, only five players were under contract for '03: Maggs, PK, CLee, Frank and Foulke. Just the way JR likes it; he keeps the payroll low and has the ability to lower it further if need be. I'm sitll hoping that Buehrle will be added to the list before the season starts, but I'd be surprised.

By the way, does anyone know if CLee will be a FA at the end of '03 when his contract is up, or will he just be arbitration eligible?

LauraJ14
01-06-2003, 03:59 PM
CLee came up in May 2000 so he is not free agent eligible. When does arbiration start? After 4 years?

duke of dorwood
01-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Remember, we have a lot of cheap low seniority players on that roster. They wouldnt be here if they weren't.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
CLee came up in May 2000 so he is not free agent eligible. When does arbiration start? After 4 years?

I think it was May '99 (he played in 127 games in '99). Does that change the answer?

jeremyb1
01-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
[B]from Whitesox.com:

"40-man roster update: Of the 37 players currently on the Sox's 40-man roster, nine are now signed for next season, but Magglio Ordonez (2004) and Konerko (2005) are the only players currently signed beyond 2003.

The club retains the rights to players not yet signed for 2003. "

I guess a lot depends on how we do in 2003 whether Reinsy decides to "rebuild" again and tear this whole thing down.

that statement is technically true but its very misleading. while we do only have two players signed to contracts past next season the we will still have control of almost all our current players. they're just not technically under contract because they'll be arbitration elligible or simply need to have their contracts renewed. off the top of my head the only players i can think of that will be free agents after this upcoming season are valentin, alomar, and frank (but only if he buys out his contract). the majority of these players should be here a while.

Blueprint1
01-07-2003, 08:07 AM
I am glad that most are not signed to long term deals. If a player has not proven he is going to be a good major league player. Why would you sign him long term if you know you have the rights to him after the season anyway? There are a couple of players I would like to see wrapped up into long term deals for one thing maybe our only proven #1.