PDA

View Full Version : Fick signs with the Braves

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
One year, one million bucks. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0106/1487880.html)

StepsInSC
01-06-2003, 12:11 PM
ching ching

duke of dorwood
01-06-2003, 12:28 PM
At least he cant hit against us for 19 games anymore.

34 Inch Stick
01-06-2003, 12:35 PM
What are the projected salaries of Paul and Alomar? If they are more than a million I think we made a mistake in not signing Fick.

duke of dorwood
01-06-2003, 12:44 PM
It would have been a nice pick-up, versatile and cheap. Of course we made a mistake-just add it to the pile.

voodoochile
01-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
What are the projected salaries of Paul and Alomar? If they are more than a million I think we made a mistake in not signing Fick.

I was just wondering the same thing. I cannot believe that Alomar is making much less than $1M with his service time. Another coup for the White Sox...

:KW
"See, Fick is a fighter and a guy who sticks up for his teammates to the point of fighting dirty and taking no crap from anyone. We don't want players like that on the team, just good quiet teammates who don't rock the boat and who don't scare the living piss out of me..."

Iwritecode
01-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Actually, I think they are right around 1 million. I'm pretty sure Alomar signed for 750,000. I'm just too lazy to go look it up.

Foulke You
01-06-2003, 12:56 PM
My fondest memory of Fick was watching him take a beer shower (and peanut shell shower, and anything else in the area) in Right Center after he flicked off some Sox fans seated there back in "the fight" of 2000 versus Detroit which I had the pleasure of attending.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Detroit primarily using Fick as an outfielder last year? Was that due to an injury or because he wasn't a good catcher? Or was it to develop Inge as a catcher? I'm having brain cramps. If Fick is limited to only the outfield, I can see why KW took a pass on him. If he could catch, 2000 fight aside, then I agree it was a mistake not to sign him for slightly more than Alomar.

OfficerKarkovice
01-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Don't get me wrong I think Fick is a heck of a player but I'm not so sure he would have been the right guy to sign. Hopefully Olivo will get the bulk of the playing time at catcher and we already have enough outfielders so he would pretty much be the backup catcher and occasional OF. I don't see him as a guy who would take well to little playing time and/or a "mentoring" role for Olivo. He just doesn't fit into what the Sox are doing with the Olivo and the catching situation.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 01:46 PM
As I recall, Fick is a lousy catcher. I don't think you'll see him behind the plate in the majors again (except in emergency situations). If the Sox could have dealt Lee or PK for a front line starter, Fick would have made a decent replacement, but with the current team, he doesn't fit.

kermittheefrog
01-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Your backup/part time catcher doesn't have to be a great fielder. He can catch at the major league level, he has before and he can hit with a big stick for being a catcher. So I think he is worth the contract. Although given the Braves 1B situation I bet he'll be playing first for them.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Your backup/part time catcher doesn't have to be a great fielder. He can catch at the major league level, he has before and he can hit with a big stick for being a catcher. So I think he is worth the contract. Although given the Braves 1B situation I bet he'll be playing first for them.

I agree, but I don't think he would have come here to be a backup/part time catcher. He doesn't fit here because he wants the opportunity to start, which he wouldn't have had here with CLee, Maggs and Konerko on the roster. And as I think you'd agree, he would not be suitable as a starting catcher. He has the opportunity to start at 1B with the Braves (and they're a legit contender).

RedPinStripes
01-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Just imagine the tinkering of Manuel if we signed Fick. :o:

WhiteSoxWinner
01-06-2003, 05:31 PM
I agree that I don't think that Fick would fit in here. However, I am encouraged by the fact that he "only" got $1 million. Salaries are falling, so KW may be forced to make a move...

HawkDJ
01-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Alomar is signed for $700,000 next year. Fick would be better value but I don't think he would want to come here anyways.

voodoochile
01-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I agree that I don't think that Fick would fit in here. However, I am encouraged by the fact that he "only" got $1 million. Salaries are falling, so KW may be forced to make a move...

You say falling, others say collusion - tomato, tomahto...

jeremyb1
01-06-2003, 08:24 PM
fick would've been a better backup than paul i suppose but i don't really think he's a catcher. i'd be shocked if he ever catches another game at the major league level. we don't really have a ton of atbats for him at the 1B/corner OF positions either so i don't know why he would've been a good signing for us.

T Dog
01-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Imagine the symmetry if this off-season the Sox had brought in a catcher who had already given the finger to the team's fans.

voodoochile
01-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
Imagine the symmetry if this off-season the Sox had brought in a catcher who had already given the finger to the team's fans.

I thought that's what management was doing when they brought back Alomar...

michigan84
01-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
As I recall, Fick is a lousy catcher. I don't think you'll see him behind the plate in the majors again (except in emergency situations). If the Sox could have dealt Lee or PK for a front line starter, Fick would have made a decent replacement, but with the current team, he doesn't fit.

You are right on! Fick is a terrible catcher. Having moved to Michigan, I get Tigers games on t.v. regularly. He came up through the minors as a catcher, but played terribly at the position in 2001, so the Tigers moved him to the outfield. Put it this way, Fick is such a terrible catcher that the Tigers use Brandon Inge as their everyday catcher. This guy batted .200 and was terrible offensively. That should tell you a whole lot about Fick's defensive shortcomings as a catcher. This is not someone I want playing catcher for the Sox.

Tragg
01-07-2003, 09:09 AM
We could use a signing or two like that - one of our realy problems last year was complete lack bench last year. Hell Manuel was routinely letting Alomar and Clayton hit in the 9th when behind because rowand and liefer were so ineffective. What we really need is a CF, but, otherwise, a little hitting depth would be nice.