PDA

View Full Version : free agents we should...


mike squires
01-04-2003, 10:19 PM
explore...i looked at the remaining free agents today and saw two guys that jumped out at me. Julian Tavarez from Floriday. I realized he had an awful record with the Cubs but didn't he have extremly low run support and some tough losses? Dave Burba from Cleveland. Lots of innings with playoff experience. Kenny Rogers from Texas. Jamey Wright. Didn't Wright have some injuries? These area all possibilities that are worth exploring.

WinningUgly!
01-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
explore...i looked at the remaining free agents today and saw two guys that jumped out at me. Julian Tavarez from Floriday. I realized he had an awful record with the Cubs but didn't he have extremly low run support and some tough losses? Dave Burba from Cleveland. Lots of innings with playoff experience. Kenny Rogers from Texas. Jamey Wright. Didn't Wright have some injuries? These area all possibilities that are worth exploring.

Of the 4 guys you listed, the only one I'd take would be Rogers. Tavarez wouldn't be too bad, if he wasn't such a nutjob. Burba sucks & we already have a Wright...2 wrongs don't make a right & 2 Wrights won't make our pitching staff any better. :D:

kermittheefrog
01-05-2003, 03:00 AM
Wow this post sure wouldn't have fit in any of the other 18,000,000 threads about moves the Sox should make this offseason. I'm ever so happy you decided to make a new one.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-05-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
explore...i looked at the remaining free agents today and saw two guys that jumped out at me. Julian Tavarez from Florida. I realized he had an awful record with the Cubs but didn't he have extremely low run support and some tough losses? ...These area all possibilities that are worth exploring.

You have have got to be kidding me. Tavarez is a clubhouse cancer that will destroy any clubhouse, regardless of who the manager is and how well the team gets along. I wouldn't sign him for used bag of balls!!

:KW

Zzzzzzzz, What's that you say? Tavarez is available for a used bag of balls before SoxFest? Heck, people will know his name, lets's sign him to a long term deal!!!

kermittheefrog
01-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
You have have got to be kidding me. Tavarez is a clubhouse cancer that will destroy any clubhouse, regardless of who the manager is and how well the team gets along. I wouldn't sign him for used bag of balls!!

:KW

Zzzzzzzz, What's that you say? Tavarez is available for a used bag of balls before SoxFest? Heck, people will know his name, lets's sign him to a long term deal!!!

Don't forget that he sucks! That's important too!

ma-gaga
01-05-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Wow this post sure wouldn't have fit in any of the other 18,000,000 threads about moves the Sox should make this offseason. I'm ever so happy you decided to make a new one.


At least he didn't stay up until 3am trying to get the last word in on every single subject in the Sox Clubhouse...

:)

kermittheefrog
01-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
At least he didn't stay up until 3am trying to get the last word in on every single subject in the Sox Clubhouse...

:)

What kind of obsessive, over-caffeined and potentially homicidal freak would do such a thing? :o:

Foulke You
01-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Of the 4 guys you listed, the only one I'd take would be Rogers. Tavarez wouldn't be too bad, if he wasn't such a nutjob. Burba sucks & we already have a Wright...2 wrongs don't make a right & 2 Wrights won't make our pitching staff any better. :D:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tavarez has good stuff but he is such a space cadet that I wouldn't want him anywhere near our staff. Burba has been getting hit hard the past few seasons. I wouldn't be opposed to Kenny Rogers provided he is healthy. We haven't had a good junkball pitcher on our staff in a while.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
explore...i looked at the remaining free agents today and saw two guys that jumped out at me. Julian Tavarez from Floriday. I realized he had an awful record with the Cubs but didn't he have extremly low run support and some tough losses? Dave Burba from Cleveland. Lots of innings with playoff experience. Kenny Rogers from Texas. Jamey Wright. Didn't Wright have some injuries? These area all possibilities that are worth exploring.

I wouldn't touch Tavarez with a ten foot pole; he is a wacko and not very good anyway. Wright is to injury addled. Burba has been just awful and atrocious for several years now. He's done, toast, finished, washed up. He can't get anyone out, so I couldn't care less about the innings he's logged or his playoff experience. Kenny Rogers I'd take but only on the cheap; I think he's due for a down year and he might even be done. I know he was pretty good last year, but he's been up and down his entire career and he's 38 years old. I wouldn't give him any more than the Orioles gave Daal.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 10:53 AM
For kicks, I did a comparison of last year's stats for three of the pitchers people around here are touting (Valdes, Wilson and Suppan) as well as for Garland and Wright. If you look at the numbers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section2=null&statSet2=null&statType=2&sortByStat=IP&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2002&baseballScope=AL&prevPage2=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=1&box14=XXXX122987kcaX&box23=XXXX216106chaX&box24=XXXX123595seaX&box26=XXXX124417tbaX&box27=XXXX279782chaX&compare.x=16&compare.y=4), I think Valdes sticks out as the best choice. He's the only one of the three FAs that allowed less hits than innings pitched, and his BB/K ratio is by far the best. Not surprisingly, his ERA was significantly lower than the other two as well. Valdes is not the no. 2 guy I had in mind going into the off season, but at this point, I think he is the best option available and would make the team better (then you let Biddle and Rauch battle it out for the no. 5 spot - if Biddle wins, Rauch starts the year in Charlotte, if Rauch wins, Biddle starts the year in long relief).

pudge
01-06-2003, 03:26 PM
I wonder if the original post in this thread was by KW himself?? He seems to go for clubhouse cancers who can't pitch well. :)

mike squires
01-06-2003, 05:21 PM
OUCH, that hurt! But I won't take it personally. I'm just saying after watching all these teams getting all of the top line free agents we might as well get one of the other remaining free agents for fairly reasonable price and if it works out great. A Kenny Rogers or Dave Burba could easily pull a Floyd Bannister and win 12 to 15 games. They are veteran guys who can pitch some innings. Rauch is clearly not ready, Biddle is inconsistent and a vetern type pitcher would compliment a Buehrle, Garland and Wright.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
OUCH, that hurt! But I won't take it personally. I'm just saying after watching all these teams getting all of the top line free agents we might as well get one of the other remaining free agents for fairly reasonable price and if it works out great. A Kenny Rogers or Dave Burba could easily pull a Floyd Bannister and win 12 to 15 games. They are veteran guys who can pitch some innings. Rauch is clearly not ready, Biddle is inconsistent and a vetern type pitcher would compliment a Buehrle, Garland and Wright.

Burba has been absolutely SHELLED the last two years. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4567) There's no way in hell I would give Biddle's or Rauch's starts to a 36 year old who has been entirely horrible for two years in a row, particularly when there are guys out there who have been reasonably effective (Ismael Valdes and Paul Wilson in particular). Why the affection for Burba?