PDA

View Full Version : Will Selig Fine Teams?

Lip Man 1
01-04-2003, 01:09 PM
The subject has been coming up on WSI about Phil Rogers' comments in his interview about Selig having the ability to fine teams who don't use their revenue sharing money to improve themselves. (i.e. the Royals, the Reds)

It's also come up about the Yankees "threat" towards those same teams (i.e. published comments by the Yankee brass...)

Well I always felt if you had questions, go to the source. So I asked Phil about this situation. Here is his response for what it may be worth to you:

"It's premature to say what teams will and won't do with revenue sharing money. But it has been disappointing that bottom level teams have showed so little aggressiveness this winter.

In their defense, I'd say only this. The revenue sharing changes are heavily phased in, so they provide most teams not nearly as much extra revenue in 2003 as they'll have in '05 and '06.

Also, regarding the Royals specifically, they appear to be in serious talks to sign Carlos Beltran to a long-term deal. This would meet Selig's standards for putting revenue-sharing money back into the team. Keeping your own players is as valid as getting new ones -- although the Royals desperately need some new ones."

Interesting point about revenue sharing money being phased in. I either didn't know that or had forgotten about it. That could explain why the Yankees have been so active this year. They may not have that same luxury two years from now. (although I doubt it...)

Lip

kermittheefrog
01-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Also, regarding the Royals specifically, they appear to be in serious talks to sign Carlos Beltran to a long-term deal.

Unfortunately for them he knows the franchise is garbage. He doesn't want to sign with them beyond his arbitration years. I'm still waiting for him to be traded to Oakland. I'd really laugh if Singleton went to KC as part of the deal.

Interesting point about revenue sharing money being phased in. I either didn't know that or had forgotten about it. That could explain why the Yankees have been so active this year.

Actually most of the Yankees deals are paying guys in the future. For example Clemens gets most of his money in 2005 or something strange like that. The Yankees have signed really weird deals. My guess is they've hired someone to deal with the new tax rules similar to the 49ers innovation in dealing with the NFL cap.