PDA

View Full Version : Colon may be dealt soon

Jjav829
01-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Colon or Vazquez could be heading to the Red Sox (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0104/1487091.html)

Reportedly a 3 way trade involving the Mets, Red Sox, and Expos could happen with the Red Sox getting either Colon or Vazquez and the Mets getting Hillenbrand.

What, you expected me to say that he was coming to the White Sox?

:KW
"Hahahahaha, O sorry I'll go back to sleep now. I am hibernating for the winter kind of like bears do."

jeremyb1
01-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Colon or Vazquez could be heading to the Red Sox (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0104/1487091.html)

Reportedly a 3 way trade involving the Mets, Red Sox, and Expos could happen with the Red Sox getting either Colon or Vazquez and the Mets getting Hillenbrand.

What, you expected me to say that he was coming to the White Sox?

:KW
"Hahahahaha, O sorry I'll go back to sleep now. I am hibernating for the winter kind of like bears do."

i wish we had some overrated talent like hillenbrand we could ship off. hillenbrand's not bad but he's not that young and his value skyrocketed because he had a great start to the season last year.

hold2dibber
01-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i wish we had some overrated talent like hillenbrand we could ship off. hillenbrand's not bad but he's not that young and his value skyrocketed because he had a great start to the season last year.

The article doesn't say who the Expos would be getting from the Mets in the deal. But it would be a huge coup for the BoSox if they could get Colon for nothing more than Hillenbrand. Sheesh, now Kenny is being out-general-managed by a guy who probably can't buy a beer without being carded.

Brian26
01-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Some unbelievable starting pitching in the East. Red Sox with a top three of Pedro, Lowe and Colon. That's incredible. Yankees with 8 guys that could be solid starting pitchers on any MLB team. Should be a good race this year if this happens. (I think Mussina's days might be numbered though. He got kicked around a lot last year).

MarkEdward
01-04-2003, 04:26 PM

Paul Konerko?

jeremyb1
01-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Paul Konerko?

yeah. konerko and crede are probably the two most overrated players we have at this point as far as i'm concerned. paully had a better first half than hillenbrand though, he has better credentials, and he had more success than hillenbrand prior to last season. i don't think crede will be as good as many seem to think right now but he'll still be an above average 3B and i like the idea of having that position solidified for the next 6 years.

duke of dorwood
01-04-2003, 10:09 PM
We have as much overrated talent as anyone. Our GM is simply not doing his job-or then again, maybe he is.

MarkEdward
01-04-2003, 10:53 PM
yeah. konerko and crede are probably the two most overrated players we have at this point as far as i'm concerned. paully had a better first half than hillenbrand though, he has better credentials, and he had more success than hillenbrand prior to last season. i don't think crede will be as good as many seem to think right now but he'll still be an above average 3B and i like the idea of having that position solidified for the next 6 years.

I totally diagree on Crede. His minor league numbers and awards speak for themselves. He also has a great glove.

It may seem like I want to trade Konerko, but he needs to remain on this team, at least for the immediate time. There's nobody to take his place. Thomas can be moved to first, but then Liefer would become the DH, and I'm not high on that idea.

One more note: the Sox have no power hitters in the minors. That's sad.

oldcomiskey
01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
from what I have read today on the ESPN message boards this deal is almost dead-------so maybe it will but more than likely it wont--maybe just Gammons wishful thinking too

jeremyb1
01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
I totally diagree on Crede. His minor league numbers and awards speak for themselves. He also has a great glove.

crede did win awards but that doesn't mean that much. you have to look at his performances. the best prospects ussually have dominanting seasons in the minors. crede one and a half excellent seasons. the problem is the first was when he was 19 years old in A ball and the second happened when he was 24 and playing in AAA for the second time. not to take anything away from his numbers last year he's a very good player and had a very good season but i think in the long run he'll be a good player who makes the all-star team a few times but i don't think he'll ever be an outstanding player who competes for mvp. you have to take his age into consideration and he's not incredibly young. also, plate discipline is key and as well as he hit last year in the majors his walk rate was atrocious. i think that he we'll be able to count on him for .280 30 100 and good fielding which is quite good for a 3B in my opinion but after his performance last season some seem to think he's going to be a superstar and i don't see that.

HawkDJ
01-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Just got back from NYC and everyone seems to be talking about this rumor. Yes, there are Mets fans in New York.

MarkEdward
01-06-2003, 12:17 AM
i think that he we'll be able to count on him for .280 30 100 and good fielding which is quite good for a 3B in my opinion but after his performance last season some seem to think he's going to be a superstar and i don't see that.

Well, I don't know anyone predicting Crede to become the next Mike Schmidt. I expect him to be around an .850-.900 OPS for his career.

Paulwny
01-06-2003, 09:41 AM
From the Boston Globe 1/5/03

GM Theo Epstein has been handling the Sox' negotiations with the Expos, but it would not be out of character for Henry and Lucchino also to get involved on the ownership level with Montreal president Tony Tavares. The Sox expect the Expos to have other suitors; keep an eye on White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been unafraid to make a big move in the past and has the kind of young talent that could bring a Colon in return.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 09:51 AM
One more note: the Sox have no power hitters in the minors. That's sad.

Joe Borchard?

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 09:52 AM
crede did win awards but that doesn't mean that much. you have to look at his performances. the best prospects ussually have dominanting seasons in the minors. crede one and a half excellent seasons. the problem is the first was when he was 19 years old in A ball and the second happened when he was 24 and playing in AAA for the second time. not to take anything away from his numbers last year he's a very good player and had a very good season but i think in the long run he'll be a good player who makes the all-star team a few times but i don't think he'll ever be an outstanding player who competes for mvp. you have to take his age into consideration and he's not incredibly young. also, plate discipline is key and as well as he hit last year in the majors his walk rate was atrocious. i think that he we'll be able to count on him for .280 30 100 and good fielding which is quite good for a 3B in my opinion but after his performance last season some seem to think he's going to be a superstar and i don't see that.

Man, if Crede goes .280 30 100 on average (assuming his OBP is decent), I'll be beyond thrilled. Hell, that's better than Ventura and Ventura is a legend around here.

hold2dibber
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
i think that he we'll be able to count on him for .280 30 100 and good fielding which is quite good for a 3B in my opinion but after his performance last season some seem to think he's going to be a superstar and i don't see that.

Actually, if he puts up those numbers, he will be a superstar. There was not a single 3B in the majors last year that hit .280 30 100. The most HRs for a 3B that hit .280 or better was 18 and the most RBIs were 83 (Shea Hillenbrand in each case). Only four 3B hit 30 HRs and only 3 had 100 RBIs. If Crede hits .280 30 100 next year, he'll be one of the premier 3B in baseball. Hell, if he can play good defense at 3B, I'd be thrilled if he hit .270 24 80 with a .350 OBP and .500 or so SLG.

Hangar18
01-06-2003, 02:18 PM
I Disagree that Konerko and Crede are overrated.
I think they get warranted attention, esp Crede if he
Continues to build on what he was doing at the end
of the season.