PDA

View Full Version : Any WSI members going to SoxFest?

Hangar18
01-03-2003, 04:52 PM
I shouldn't ask if anyone is going, rather, How Many of us
are going. I have a great idea, I say WSI set up shop somewhere in the Atrium Bar before the Opening.
Think it would be great to meet everyone else here and put faces to the names. Plus, would be great chance for me to distribute
the "secret" Comiskey Renovation Pictures that were taken
down off the HKS website. Kind of like getting to look at pictures of a House you can never have.
Or like looking at a Menu of Food that will never be served.
Or like trying on shoes you can never wear...
Or like ...

Hangar18
01-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Its exactly 4 weeks away, man time flies.

TornLabrum
01-03-2003, 05:05 PM
I'll be there. Of course I have a face that goes with my name that everyone here may have seen, but it's kind of disembodied in the "Fallen Arches" logo.

On Friday I'm usually at the Windy City Sox Fans booth coercing kids to get money from their parents to pull pencils for fabulous prizes. Come to think of it, I'm usually doing that on Saturday and Sunday, too.

I'll be at the booth for sure on Saturday when one of my favorite ex-Sox players says he'll be signing autographs there.

RedPinStripes
01-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'll be there. Of course I have a face that goes with my name that everyone here may have seen, but it's kind of disembodied in the "Fallen Arches" logo.

On Friday I'm usually at the Windy City Sox Fans booth coercing kids to get money from their parents to pull pencils for fabulous prizes. Come to think of it, I'm usually doing that on Saturday and Sunday, too.

I'll be at the booth for sure on Saturday when one of my favorite ex-Sox players says he'll be signing autographs there.

Who's the favorite ex-player?

TornLabrum
01-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Who's the favorite ex-player?

I don't know if I'm at liberty to say at this point. I need to check with our president. He wasn't a star, but he's relatively recent and he was decent over pretty much his entire time with the Sox..

RedPinStripes
01-03-2003, 05:16 PM
I don't know if I'm at liberty to say at this point. I need to check with our president. He wasn't a star, but he's relatively recent and he was decent over pretty much his entire time with the Sox..

Ivan Calderon!!!!!!!! :cool:

whitesoxwilkes
01-03-2003, 05:18 PM
I'll be there.

2003 Soxfest: "Come Ready To Drink"

TornLabrum
01-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Ivan Calderon!!!!!!!! :cool:

I wish. If nothing else it'd get Dan Bernstein to come to the booth.

Daver
01-03-2003, 05:27 PM

Why would you want Dan Bernstein any where near the booth?

:)

RedPinStripes
01-03-2003, 05:59 PM

He's a ********.

jeremyb1
01-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
are going. I have a great idea, I say WSI set up shop somewhere in the Atrium Bar before the Opening.
Think it would be great to meet everyone else here and put faces to the names. Plus, would be great chance for me to distribute
down off the HKS website. Kind of like getting to look at pictures of a House you can never have.
Or like ...

i'd be there but i have to go back to minnesota for school about a week beforehand. someone will have to ask kw about millwood for me (although i'm sure that question is on quite a few peoples minds).

Dan H
01-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Or like ...

I like the Atrium Bar idea. In fact I would prefer having a few beers with WSI people than going into the SoxFest. It would beat listening to Sox propaganda. And I would like to see those "secret pictures."

Hangar18
01-04-2003, 11:10 AM

Its Mike Caruso isnt it?

Im opening a bar someday, and Mike Caruso will enjoy
Carte Blanche and free lifetime drinks. because of that
home run back in '99 to sweep the flubs.

TornLabrum
01-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Its Mike Caruso isnt it?

Im opening a bar someday, and Mike Caruso will enjoy
Carte Blanche and free lifetime drinks. because of that
home run back in '99 to sweep the flubs.

Mike Caruso stiffed the WCSF twice after promising to come to luncheons. It ain't gonna be him. Our guy was gone by the White Flag trade anyway.

RedPinStripes
01-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Gotta be Alex Fernandez! He is one of my favorite all time Sox pitchers.

RedPinStripes
01-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Richard Dotson is still the man though!

TornLabrum
01-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Nobody is right, and I'm not going to play a guessing game here. As soon as I clear it that I can publicize it, I'll let you know.

Besides, Alex Fernandez wouldn't fit in the booth.

Brian26
01-04-2003, 02:00 PM
How about a hint:

Was he a pitcher or position player?

Anyone know of a good place to buy MLB official balls to bring for autographs? I'm looking for the cheapest place to find them.

RedPinStripes
01-04-2003, 04:26 PM

Besides, Alex Fernandez wouldn't fit in the booth.

Well i'm sure it's not Wilson Alverez then. :smile:

TornLabrum
01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Well i'm sure it's not Wilson Alverez then. :smile:

Nope, not an SP. As I said, he was a good player, but not even close to being a star, but a good guy. Now I just hope he shows up!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Nope, not an SP. As I said, he was a good player, but not even close to being a star, but a good guy. Now I just hope he shows up!

Well, I guess that eliminates at least one guy...

:hitless
"I know whatcha mean. I'm a star."

Brian26
01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok-

My guess.

"The Pope" Don Pall.

TornLabrum
01-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Ok-

My guess.

"The Pope" Don Pall.

I can neither confirm nor deny. Take that for what it's worth.

MarkEdward
01-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Dumb question:

Can you walk up and purchase tickets at the door?

nut_stock
01-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Ozzie Guilllen???

TornLabrum
01-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Dumb question:

Can you walk up and purchase tickets at the door?

I haven't seen it sold out yet. They have stuff going on on two levels. Tickets are available at the top level.

duke of dorwood
01-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I;ll be there Friday. It's gotta be Harold

Brian26
01-05-2003, 11:19 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny. Take that for what it's worth.

LOL!

C'Mon! I'm correct....it will be Don Pall :)

You confirmed it wasn't Alex, Wilson, not a starting pitcher, not a star, and was before the Caruso era. But now you can't
"confirm or deny" the Pope? :)

What's my prize?! :)

TornLabrum
01-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
LOL!

C'Mon! I'm correct....it will be Don Pall :)

You confirmed it wasn't Alex, Wilson, not a starting pitcher, not a star, and was before the Caruso era. But now you can't
"confirm or deny" the Pope? :)

What's my prize?! :)

Stop by the WCSF booth with something to autograph (we're hoping to be next to the Grandstand booth this year), and an as yet unnamed ball player will autograph it for you at no charge. That is unless you want to shell out 25 bux and join the WCSF, in which case you can write off a portion on your income tax.

People who join get a subscription to the newsletter in which Dr. Jekyll wrties fluff pieces about the Sox in order to counteract Mr. Hyde's continual skewering of them over here at WSI.

Hangar18
01-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Its Marc Hill right?

Iwritecode
01-06-2003, 11:45 AM
I'll be there all weekend long. I'm sure on any one of the three days I'll be wearing a black Sox jersey and black pants. I'm sure that will make me easy to spot...

Actually, my long hair probably will make me stand out more than most. Jerry says that I look like a truck driver. :?:

One question though: Is it a sin to bring a Cubs fan to Soxfest?

Hangar18
01-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Yes, it is a sin to bring a Cub fan. Exception being if they secretly like the Sox. ALso....if a Cub fan were to show up,
would be highly recommended they not wear anything cub related, so as to not receive scorn. The cub games I do attend during the year, Im ALWAYS mindful to wear Sox related merchandise, so as to not be confused with the other sheep there

Iwritecode
01-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Yes, it is a sin to bring a Cub fan. Exception being if they secretly like the Sox. ALso....if a Cub fan were to show up,
would be highly recommended they not wear anything cub related, so as to not receive scorn. The cub games I do attend during the year, Im ALWAYS mindful to wear Sox related merchandise, so as to not be confused with the other sheep there

Basically he's going because I'm splitting the cost of the weekend package between 4 people. $60 for two nights in the Hyatt Regency is too good of a deal to pass up. I told him to just wear Bulls/Bears stuff and he should be ok. :D:

TornLabrum
01-06-2003, 09:41 PM
Its Marc Hill right?

Um, somebody already guessed it, but I'm not at liberty to say who.

Daver
01-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Um, somebody already guessed it, but I'm not at liberty to say who.

Hal,please tell the Pope I said hello,and if it isn't a whole lot of trouble get his autograph for my son,it might get him to switch over to baseball.................

TornLabrum
01-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hal,please tell the Pope I said hello,and if it isn't a whole lot of trouble get his autograph for my son,it might get him to switch over to baseball.................

Pall was actually a favorite of mine when he was with the Sox. Of course that doesn't say much because I also loved Jim Willoughby and Mike Proly...although the stats show that Pall was clearly better than either of them.

I have to share this story with the universe because it falls under the category of real-life self-deprecating humor. I'm not really comfortable around new people or unfamiliar situations, and although I've met Donn a couple of times in the past, it was only to exchange a couple of words. So I was just a bit nervous when I phoned him to do an interview for the WCSF newsletter coming out next month.

The start of the conversation went something like this:

"Hello, Donn Pall."
"Hi Donn Pall...um...Donn."

Great start, eh? Fortunately he's a good guy and let it slide.

They say the pen is mighter than the sword. In my case, you could say, the keyboard is mightier than the mouth.

mrwag
01-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Sox management should use Donn Pall as an example of what to do with ex Sox players. Pall had a desire to be with the Sox, as they were his favorite team growing up. Now that he's retired, he has a front office job. Why couldn't they have done something similar with Fisk? Instead, he gets kicked out of the clubhouse in 93 to wish his friends luck in the post season, and rode out of town on his Harley.

alohafri
01-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Although I have pretty much taken the post season off from posting (something to do with Round-up - Just kidding for God's sake!), I will be there with the Mrs.

TornLabrum
01-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
Sox management should use Donn Pall as an example of what to do with ex Sox players. Pall had a desire to be with the Sox, as they were his favorite team growing up. Now that he's retired, he has a front office job. Why couldn't they have done something similar with Fisk? Instead, he gets kicked out of the clubhouse in 93 to wish his friends luck in the post season, and rode out of town on his Harley.

Pall does not have a front office job. He is a financial consultant/retirement plan consultant for Smith Barney. I know because of the interview I did with him last week for the Windy City Sox fans, not to mention the fact that he's sponsoring the next WCSF newsletter.

Jerry_Manuel
01-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Actually, my long hair probably will make me stand out more than most. Jerry says that I look like a truck driver. :?:

Pfft!

I said you looked more like a construction worker than someone who works with computers.

Hangar18
01-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Nyls Nyman! I knew It!

mrwag
01-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Opps, musta had my people corn-fused. I though Donn had an inside job with the club.

Iwritecode
01-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Pfft!

I said you looked more like a construction worker than someone who works with computers.

Oh yea, I knew it was something like that.

Great now I'm one of the Village People...

Just out of curiosity, what is your idea of what someone who works with computers (technogeek) looks like?

Jerry_Manuel
01-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Oh yea, I knew it was something like that.

Great now I'm one of the Village People...

Just out of curiosity, what is your idea of what someone who works with computers (technogeek) looks like?

Are you saying there is something wrong with being apart of the Village People? :D:

:knue

Hangar18
01-10-2003, 10:23 AM
I still think WSI should do something "unofficially"
in the Atrium Bar before/after soxfest each day...
would be cool to meet everyone here......

Dan H
01-15-2003, 01:36 PM

I second that. It might even be more fun that what happens inside.

Hangar18
01-15-2003, 03:09 PM
I just thought about it....If a bunch of WSI members
decide to hang out there, how in the world will anyone
Distinguish each other??? im sure everyone will be wearing
something Sox related....so that wont work.

Daver
01-15-2003, 05:55 PM

Simple,all WSI members attending Soxfest should dye their hair lime green for the weekend (any members that are in fact bald can spray paint their head), so you would be able to spot a WSI member without question.

ewokpelts
01-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Anyone know of a good place to buy MLB official balls to bring for autographs? I'm looking for the cheapest place to find them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Strangely enüff, the Sox sell MLB balls real cheep @ Soxfest. Mind you, they are not in the boxes(I assume they're leftovers from thier game supplies, since MLB is in the habit of re-issuing balls every year now.), but they are 8 bucks each. To buy from a ball distributor, you'd have to buy at least 2 dozen. So, I'd wait till then.

Gene

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 07:31 PM
I'll be there all three days. 3 days for the price of 2 is a great deal!

Daver
01-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts

Strangely enüff, the Sox sell MLB balls real cheep @ Soxfest. Mind you, they are not in the boxes(I assume they're leftovers from thier game supplies, since MLB is in the habit of re-issuing balls every year now.), but they are 8 bucks each. To buy from a ball distributor, you'd have to buy at least 2 dozen. So, I'd wait till then.

Gene

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

ewokpelts
01-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the Welcome, Daver!

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 08:20 PM

Let's go back to our teenage years and meet on the lakefront and drink Mickey's "big mouths" and smoke El Productos and listen to Deep Purple.

You're right, the Atrium Bar idea is better.

On the serious side, I am aiming for Friday night. Maybe the Mrs. is even coming along. Comes from a cub drenched family but she has had the demon drawn from her.
:gulp:

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 08:47 PM
At SoxFest, maybe if we all beg Buehrle really hard when he's signing something to stay in Chicago, he'll stay away from the Cards.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Instead of grabbing on his ankles and gang tackling him. We can just start to win year after year and he won't have to think about jumping ship. He'll want to stay here. I'm sure when you hear that your boss doesn't want to drop a dime and the park is empty, Busch Stadium looks really nice.
Plus, that is his old hood.
:gulp:

KonerkoPower14
01-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Im getting a private autograph session with the players because of my hotel deal,also 4 sox tics.oh yea I am a new user.Do they sell sox cards here and I am also looking for a game-used jersey from a sox player at a reasonable price.Any Ideas on how much $$$ to bring?

Daver
01-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by KonerkoPower14
Im getting a private autograph session with the players because of my hotel deal,also 4 sox tics.oh yea I am a new user.Do they sell sox cards here and I am also looking for a game-used jersey from a sox player at a reasonable price.Any Ideas on how much $$$ to bring?

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:30 PM

Do they sell sox cards here at WSI? No, but you can check out this little shop (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Shop/).

Iwritecode
01-17-2003, 09:35 PM

I posted this in the other Soxfest thread on here but...

Buy a WSI shirt!!! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Shop/tshirts.htm)

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Anyone know if Koch or Colon are going to try to make it SoxFest? I highly doubt it, but I'd love to meet them both and welcome them aboard, especially Koch who is supposed to be a lot of fun. Also, will Frank will be showing up? I know he wasn't on that press release of scheduled players, but I heard Kenny say something on an audio file on whitesox.com that he thought Frank was going to show up.

koch44
01-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Is there any other place besides whitesox.com that is selling Soxfest tickets?

Daver
01-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by koch44
Is there any other place besides whitesox.com that is selling Soxfest tickets?

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-18-2003, 12:03 PM
im plannin on being there sat.

Maggliosfan09
01-18-2003, 03:19 PM
only place i've found selling soxfest tix is whitesox.com checked ticketmaster and only a few games came up nothing until march sorry

ewokpelts
01-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Sox fest has a dealer floor around the signing areas. I'm sure you can find PLENTY of Sox stuff. As for game used stuff, try the Garage Sale area. You can get Jerseys, Pants(!?), Hats, and more from them. Also, I've spotted extra promotional autographs(some as cheep as 5 bucks) and bricks/seats/ect from Old Comiskey.
Gene

KonerkoPower14
01-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Hey thanks for the welcome,I appreciate it.First of all Does anyone know like where the garage sale is?(like what floor,what time it opens,are the prices reasonable?) I went to a card shop yesterday and bought some stuff to get signed: a bat, 8x10 photos of Konerko,Buehrle,as well as some cards to get signed,also a Mlb ball.Does anyone know if the players will sign if you like spot them in the hotel and stuff(like in the elevator)because I am going to spend all 2 nights and 3 days,and what floor do the players usually stay in?Thanks for the welcome and Go Sox! :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
01-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Hey thanks for the welcome,I appreciate it.First of all Does anyone know like where the garage sale is?(like what floor,what time it opens,are the prices reasonable?) I went to a card shop yesterday and bought some stuff to get signed: a bat, 8x10 photos of Konerko,Buehrle,as well as some cards to get signed,also a Mlb ball.Does anyone know if the players will sign if you like spot them in the hotel and stuff(like in the elevator)because I am going to spend all 2 nights and 3 days,and what floor do the players usually stay in?Thanks for the welcome and Go Sox! :cool:

KP14, don't know about the players in the hotel thing, but I'd imagine they would know that you're there for Soxfest, so they would probably be willing to sign autographs then.

The garage sale is usually on the same floor that the food stuff and the larger panels (one floor up from the displays downstairs). Prices vary from $1500 for a Frank Thomas game jersey to down to $10-$20 for miscellaneous Sox pants/socks. You can get game-played jerseys from lesser lights of Sox seasons past for about $50, I think -- so if Mike Caruso is your boy, you may be in luck! Bats are usually $50 - $300 or more, depending on the player. There's a lot of cool stuff there, so it's worth a look even if you're not buying anything.

soxguy
01-19-2003, 09:30 PM
me and a couple of friends go every year to the soxfest, its interesting to hear other fan's perspectives etc. we'll be their on sat. afternoon

hose
01-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
KP14, don't know about the players in the hotel thing, but I'd imagine they would know that you're there for Soxfest, so they would probably be willing to sign autographs then.

The garage sale is usually on the same floor that the food stuff and the larger panels (one floor up from the displays downstairs). Prices vary from $1500 for a Frank Thomas game jersey to down to $10-$20 for miscellaneous Sox pants/socks. You can get game-played jerseys from lesser lights of Sox seasons past for about $50, I think -- so if Mike Caruso is your boy, you may be in luck! Bats are usually $50 - $300 or more, depending on the player. There's a lot of cool stuff there, so it's worth a look even if you're not buying anything.

When you mention garage sale I think of the Garage Sale at Comiskey Park .

Is this the same stuff left over from Sox Fest and moved over to Comiskey Park on March 8 ?

whitesoxwilkes
01-20-2003, 08:15 PM

I was standing by the elevators in the Hyatt last year waiting for my girlfriend and Todd "Veteran Presence" Ritchie walked right by. He was more than willing to sign a ball for me. I'll treasure it always.

TornLabrum
01-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I was standing by the elevators in the Hyatt last year waiting for my girlfriend and Todd "Veteran Presence" Ritchie walked right by. He was more than willing to sign a ball for me. I'll treasure it always.

Will that be right next to your David Wells ball?

Lanny Sigo
01-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Hey, it zero out.. it must be time for Soxfest! Sure I'll be there it's too damned cold for a 7th inning stretch!